Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

101 - 125 of 359 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Amy L

Mar 10, 2018

This course was amazing and Dr White was an excellent teacher. He continually encourage new ways of learning to stimulate our brains.

By Muhammad H

Nov 05, 2017

Really rigid structure. Challenging, yet fun! Prof. White and team really put the effort in making this course.

By Adam M

Nov 04, 2017

This course was amazing. Dr White clearly has a passion for neuroscience and teaching. Highly recommend.

By Juliana N

Aug 11, 2016

É um curso muito exaustivo, porém muito bom. Vale a pena!

By Rogerio d L e S

Jun 09, 2017

Excelente curso, superou todas as minhas expectativas. Recomendo a todos o desafio de superar a si mesmo dedicando aos estudos. Curso "Qualidade" de 1º Mundo. Recomendo.

By David C G

Oct 16, 2016

The best course I have ever studied through internet. I quit due to a matter of not enough spare time to devote. I hope I will be able to finish it in the near future.

By Gerardo M H

Jun 18, 2018

It's the best course about Neuroscience. The professor explain every single detailed of neuroanatomy, and he manage to relate the physiology and anatomy without trouble. At the beginin of each video, he get in you a summarize and that thing helps to argue for learning more. Unfortunately I don't have access to Sylvius, but it's easy to follow with tutorial.

By Grethe O N

Feb 14, 2017

Made me pass my neuroscience exam, THANK YOU!

By Sushmitha

Sep 26, 2016

Four months back, I barely knew few terms in the context of Brain. And today, I'm capable of diagnosing neurological disorders. Immense amount of knowledge gained!

By Demetrio F

Feb 14, 2017

It took ages for me to learn from books. This is definitely the best way!

By george t

Sep 16, 2017

THE BEST CLASS EVER.. In non Academic terms... "Da SH*et!" - Awesome really. Thanks Dr. White for taking the time to really dedicate such awesome materials, and with such sincerity and passion.

George - Taiwan

By Ahmed E

Nov 30, 2016

Very excellent and informative course. Definitely recommending it to everyone

By Dipanjan C

Apr 25, 2018

Super Illustrative !

By Dr. J D D M

Dec 15, 2016

Great course.

By José A B

Jul 13, 2017

I love neuroscience and I am amazing that course! It's so complete!

Thank you, Prof.White and team, for that opportunity.

José

r

s

By Mohamed A S

Aug 25, 2016

excellent course, but you need a very good basic on neuroscience

By Daniel P

Sep 17, 2016

De lo mejor que puede haber en coursera.

By Andy W

Jan 06, 2017

As a current medical student, Medical Neuroscience here on Coursera really equipped me to perform well in my studies in our school's neuro course. I really appreciated the concise yet thorough lectures from Dr. White throughout the course. I HIGHLY recommend this course to anyone interested in the brain and especially those students enrolled in a neuro course in their current studies. This course supplemented my regular class lectures and assignments very well and helped me to master the content much more efficiently and smoothly!

By Tayo A

Aug 08, 2016

Absolutely Fantastic and Interesting Course!

By Cody R

Sep 12, 2016

World class teaching. Making medical students' lives better since...2015-ish?

By Jorge A D M

Nov 21, 2016

Excelente Curso

By Ricardo R

Jan 28, 2017

Dr. White's classes are concise and very, very enjoyable. The syllabus is very complete and the overall course structure is excellent. I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to know the inner workings of the human brain.

By Zhiming W

Nov 30, 2017

It's useful. And I have learned many new knowledge about neuroscience.

By Stephanie V

Dec 22, 2016

Amazing! The Professor is very active and wishes the best for everyone