Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

201 - 225 of 359 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Gabriela S S S

Jan 27, 2018

Fantastic

By Anindya T

Jul 11, 2017

An excellent course for anybody.

By KEVIN R P

Jun 06, 2016

Best course ever! it's worth the work for everything you gain, particularily those in all areas of health care..

By Sushmitha

Sep 26, 2016

Four months back, I barely knew few terms in the context of Brain. And today, I'm capable of diagnosing neurological disorders. Immense amount of knowledge gained!

By Ahmed E

Nov 30, 2016

Very excellent and informative course. Definitely recommending it to everyone

By Dipanjan C

Jun 07, 2016

Excellent!

By Vlad

Jun 11, 2016

Very interesting and challenging course. The instructor is very professional, videos are nice, real brain specimens are amazing. Highly recommended.

By Natanael E S

Feb 21, 2018

excellent

By Omar C A

Jun 13, 2017

Best course I have taken in Coursera so far. You have to work hard, but it´s worth it. Dr. White is one of the best professors I have ever had. He enjoys teaching, and he is a passionate of his subject.

By Minesh K

Sep 11, 2016

It is just Great.

By Ricardo J A G

Sep 06, 2016

I love science and this kind of courses make me love it so much more, Thank you!

By Fabian M

Oct 24, 2016

Outstanding course! Quite a lot of content, but Dr White keeps one engaged.

By Mathuram B

Dec 28, 2016

Professor Len White made the entire course enjoyable. The teaching tools he used was awesome! I will recommend it to other friends and colleagues

By Eduardo S N G

Jun 13, 2016

It's a great course of medical neurosciece, It's simple and dynamic and well explained by Dr White.

By Jayson L

Feb 21, 2017

Incredibly informative and helpful!

By Kishore R S

Dec 05, 2017

This is one of the best courses I have ever come across. I get to learn the A-Z of Neuroscience by practically getting to see stuff in real human brain specimen without having to be enrolled in a Med school. I feel highly grateful to the team that has put massive efforts to make this course available...

By Neha G V

Aug 10, 2017

Excellent......

By Ruth H

Nov 22, 2017

fantastically taught course. so well structured..thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and has motivated me to learn more in the field of neuroscience.Prof White is an excellent teacher.

By Jerónimo A M

Dec 26, 2016

muy buen curso

By Johanna L

Apr 15, 2018

Excelente curso, la distribución de los temas y las lecciones.

By Emma Y

Jan 09, 2018

Excellent tutorials!!!

By Paulina H R

Jul 08, 2017

Excellent! I loved every single class. Not too dense, not boring at all. Very informative. I really loved it. Ideal for medical field.

By Luis C

Sep 09, 2017

An excellent course for my medical specialty (physical medicine and rehabilitation) in which the knowledge of neuroscience are based on treatments aimed at neurological rehabilitation.