Back to Medical Neuroscience

Medical Neuroscience, Duke University

About this Course

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

By KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

By KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

289 Reviews

By Nazaret Pelaez Viña

Jan 14, 2019

great!

By Daniel Larbi

Jan 10, 2019

For anyone looking to understand some basic neuroanatomy and physiology, Dr Leonard White uses great skill to impart this sometimes complicated subject to his students. I have benefitted greatly and earning a certificate has definitely upgraded my CV.

By Hameer Khan

Jan 06, 2019

This course is very interesting an others words brain booster!!

By Valdor Kuliński

Jan 06, 2019

Doctor White and his team are a bunch of heroes, giving people like me a chance to learn they would never have in their lifetime. I want to send all of them my thanks and ensure them of my heartfelt gratitude. I for one will not allow such a magestic effort go to waste and I am certain that the knowledge that doctor White has imparted me will aid me in diagnosing and alleviating the pain of future patients I will have (lest some tragic incident might find me, God forbid). I swear to remember the kindness of my teacher so I might repay the world in kind one day. Thank You.

By Christian David Chica Giraldo

Jan 05, 2019

Excelente

By Henry

Dec 30, 2018

Great course! Comprehensive and well organized. Video lectures are detailed and the supportive resources are useful. I found that some of the materials covered (particularly on the special senses) were very dense and most people will never need that level of detail in practice.

I recommend this course to most healthcare professionals and anyone with an interest in this area. However, this is a tough course. If you have a weak foundation in basic biology and anatomy/physiology, be prepared to spend far more hours than recommended. But it is worth the time.

By Laura Alejandra Graterol Ramirez

Dec 23, 2018

the best course that i has been

thanks Dr Write

By Prithvi Magar

Dec 20, 2018

It is a must course for medical students , I wish all have access to it. Love it very much

By Jeremy Cuson

Dec 14, 2018

Solid course. I only wish there were more. Thank you, Professor White & team!

By NORMAN

Dec 12, 2018

Exceptionally well presented, well researched and relevant course. Very educative.