Back to Medical Neuroscience

Medical Neuroscience, Duke University

About this Course

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

By KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

By KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

304 Reviews

By Dr.Rekha Shetty

Mar 24, 2019

One of the excellent course i have ever attended . Prof.Dr.Leonard White made every lecture very interesting and simple.Although the subject is very difficult i enjoyed every bit of it.Man ya time i failed the exam which made me to read again and again . Each video lecture is designed very thoughtfully.This course not only made me more knowledgeable in neuroscience which attracted me right from my child wood, it improved many other aspects too . I have developed more interest towards learning different things .It showed a way to me .our age or economic condition is not a hurdle if we wish or determined to do something strongly .i have completed this course only because of the encouragement form the Coursera team time and again .I am thankful to entire team for their support and encouragement throughout the course .

sir only one request to provide me the certificate of completing this course successfully .definitely this will help me and others to encourage for this course .Hope you will provide me the certificate please. finally i want to say i want to do some more advanced course in neurology provided under the guidance of Prod.L.White . I want to thank the entire team especially Prof.Dr.L White from my core of heart

By Lina Teresa Lane

Mar 12, 2019

Such an interesting course and with an exceptional professor - highly recommended!

By Jake Edward-Steven Brooks

Mar 11, 2019

this course is challenging, but it is 100% do-able if you are committed and really assign a purpose to doing well in this course. dr white is amazing and really knowledgable, there is so much to learn from him. there are also ton of resources for you to do well. you can do it!!

By Abu Hazafa

Mar 09, 2019

very good course under the supervision of greatest Prof. L. White

By 郑驰垠

Mar 08, 2019

my first course finished on Coursera.really a course with abundant material especially those clear systematic images.

By Исмаилов Заур Бекирович

Mar 01, 2019

I am so excited for this corse. Vary thanks!

By Min Min Than

Feb 24, 2019

the best course I've ever had

By Seong Taek Hong

Feb 24, 2019

Amazing course but omg at the same time so demanding! but hopefully it will worth it! Thank you

By Simeon Raymond

Feb 16, 2019

Probably the Best Pre-Med Science course on the Web Today! Filled with tons of info that easily rivals a university-level neuroscience class!

By 石坂 信和