Back to Medical Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Medical Neuroscience by Duke University

Medical Neuroscience explores the functional organization and neurophysiology of the human central nervous system, while providing a neurobiological framework for understanding human behavior. In this course, you will discover the organization of the neural systems in the brain and spinal cord that mediate sensation, motivate bodily action, and integrate sensorimotor signals with memory, emotion and related faculties of cognition. The overall goal of this course is to provide the foundation for understanding the impairments of sensation, action and cognition that accompany injury, disease or dysfunction in the central nervous system. The course will build upon knowledge acquired through prior studies of cell and molecular biology, general physiology and human anatomy, as we focus primarily on the central nervous system. This online course is designed to include all of the core concepts in neurophysiology and clinical neuroanatomy that would be presented in most first-year neuroscience courses in schools of medicine. However, there are some topics (e.g., biological psychiatry) and several learning experiences (e.g., hands-on brain dissection) that we provide in the corresponding course offered in the Duke University School of Medicine on campus that we are not attempting to reproduce in Medical Neuroscience online. Nevertheless, our aim is to faithfully present in scope and rigor a medical school caliber course experience. This course comprises six units of content organized into 12 weeks, with an additional week for a comprehensive final exam: - Unit 1 Neuroanatomy (weeks 1-2). This unit covers the surface anatomy of the human brain, its internal structure, and the overall organization of sensory and motor systems in the brainstem and spinal cord. - Unit 2 Neural signaling (weeks 3-4). This unit addresses the fundamental mechanisms of neuronal excitability, signal generation and propagation, synaptic transmission, post synaptic mechanisms of signal integration, and neural plasticity. - Unit 3 Sensory systems (weeks 5-7). Here, you will learn the overall organization and function of the sensory systems that contribute to our sense of self relative to the world around us: somatic sensory systems, proprioception, vision, audition, and balance senses. - Unit 4 Motor systems (weeks 8-9). In this unit, we will examine the organization and function of the brain and spinal mechanisms that govern bodily movement. - Unit 5 Brain Development (week 10). Next, we turn our attention to the neurobiological mechanisms for building the nervous system in embryonic development and in early postnatal life; we will also consider how the brain changes across the lifespan. - Unit 6 Cognition (weeks 11-12). The course concludes with a survey of the association systems of the cerebral hemispheres, with an emphasis on cortical networks that integrate perception, memory and emotion in organizing behavior and planning for the future; we will also consider brain systems for maintaining homeostasis and regulating brain state....

KT

Nov 22, 2018

I leant so much without even realising it until I got to the final exams and all this knowledge was making sense. Amazing lecturer with so much wisdom in the area. The course is very well delivered.

KR

Dec 22, 2016

I have not really taken any Neuroscience courses and I have to say this was very challenging with my already full-time load at school but I did it! Yay! I love Dr. White he is an awesome professor!

126 - 150 of 371 Reviews for Medical Neuroscience

By Marta

Jul 21, 2016

Wonderful. You need a lot of motivation beacuse it is full of (great) content, so the "lazy days" may come, but even if you fail to finish this course it is totally worth it.

By Rogerio d L e S

Jun 09, 2017

Excelente curso, superou todas as minhas expectativas. Recomendo a todos o desafio de superar a si mesmo dedicando aos estudos. Curso "Qualidade" de 1º Mundo. Recomendo.

By David C G

Oct 16, 2016

The best course I have ever studied through internet. I quit due to a matter of not enough spare time to devote. I hope I will be able to finish it in the near future.

By Sushmitha

Sep 26, 2016

Four months back, I barely knew few terms in the context of Brain. And today, I'm capable of diagnosing neurological disorders. Immense amount of knowledge gained!

By Jxq@umich.edu

Oct 06, 2018

Excellent course! Dr. White taught the neuroanatomy in a clear way and everything makes sense! Really wish that there are more materials for neuropathophysiology.

By Sanjoy B

Dec 18, 2019

Amazing content and seriously informative. Anyone who is curious about functioning of brain and its structure must take this course. It's very serious stuff.

By Li Y

Jun 18, 2017

It took me a lot of hard work to complete this course. But it's really a great course and I'm very glad that I make it to the end. Thank you Duke University.

By Jaclyn M

Oct 28, 2019

I learned so much! One thing that became very obvious to me is that no matter how much I do learn, there is always more to learn about the brain! THANK YOU

By 游露灵

Oct 28, 2016

It's a wonderful course, very helpful to my further study in neuroscience. Would be better if the captions of tutorial videos do not have so many mistakes.

By João P B d S

Jul 05, 2016

Professor White is an example of real dedication and passion in the field of education. By far, this is the most thoghtfully organized course I've taken!

By Simón R C

Nov 10, 2018

Awesome, demanding, and complete course for everyone that wants to take the firsts steps inside the deep and still unexplored cavern that is neuroscience.

By Fabian M

Sep 09, 2018

Fascinating course. I am a computer engineer but I decided to enroll out of curiosity and so far it has been a fascinating tour into this complex field.

By Rabea L

Feb 19, 2017

Fantastic course for everybody who wants to get a view into this great topic. I'm studying Psychology at a German University and the course helped a lot.

By Diana M

Dec 28, 2017

Un curso muy dinámico, interactivo, fácil de entender y te guía paso a paso en el conocimiento básico de las neurociencias. Sin duda, ¡muy recomendable!

By Álvaro I R

Dec 05, 2017

Really complete course. I'm really thankful for Prof. White's work. I found a very complete course and a really dynamic and knowledge-seeking comunity

By Brian A

Jan 12, 2020

In depth tutorials and very clear lectures on the neurophysiology of the human central nervous system and how this helps to understand human behavior

By Aksharkumar D

Feb 13, 2018

If you're beginner in Neuroscience studies, then this is the place. Thanks to Duke University and Coursera for the wonderful opportunity of Learning.

By Carmen N M F

Nov 14, 2016

So much interesting. Let me improve my own knowledge about the structure and function of the brain and I might to say that I am a neuro lover jejejj

By Vlad

Jun 11, 2016

Very interesting and challenging course. The instructor is very professional, videos are nice, real brain specimens are amazing. Highly recommended.

By Mathuram B

Dec 28, 2016

Professor Len White made the entire course enjoyable. The teaching tools he used was awesome! I will recommend it to other friends and colleagues

By Marco A L E

Aug 07, 2016

Excelente curso, con una secuencia lógica y fácil de seguir, tiene además una gran cantidad de recursos adicionales para reforzar el aprendizaje.

By Olga S

Dec 08, 2016

Loved every secondof this course, Prof.White is a truly professional and it`s been an honor to be his student even for a short period of time.

By Grace L

Sep 06, 2016

A great course integrating all the interesting aspects of Neuroscience! Thank you for providing the online learners with such a wonderful c :)

By Simeon R

Feb 16, 2019

Probably the Best Pre-Med Science course on the Web Today! Filled with tons of info that easily rivals a university-level neuroscience class!

By Ramiro R A

Mar 22, 2017

One of the best, if not the best online courses I ever have taken. It is demanding, as neuroscience is. But it deserves the effort, no doubt.