Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

EC
Aug 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. I am 64-years-old and this course taught me that you can learn anything new no matter what age you are. I am now broadening my passions and learning is a lot more fun.

DI
Oct 30, 2020

Great course! This is a lot more general than Learning about Learning but is also useful nonetheless. I like the focus on keeping positive and being confident in your potential despite our weaknesses.

3151 - 3175 of 3,221 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Gastón C

Oct 1, 2019

Great

By �ADITI P

Aug 22, 2020

good

By Mohit K

Jun 12, 2020

Nice

By ALOKE R B

Good

By Md. R H

Apr 22, 2020

Good

By Low H B

Nov 21, 2018

A

By Chris L

Jun 25, 2020

OK, felt like Learning to Learn (btw excellent course) rehash. I felt this course was a bit muddled, was trying to ascertain what their focus was, career prep? paradigm shifts? epiphanies? learning and studying habits? neurology? Some good points, like the value of being open to learning skills that are completely out of your area of supposed expertise and having a growth mindset, but I felt the presentation lacked focus and didn't translate their background reference material (which was great to read in my own time)

By Lee Y J

Aug 23, 2020

A fairly good primer for anyone who wants to get started with MOOCs and online courses. I assume that the materials and videos are recorded in 2016, but there are some of the stuff taught that may have been outdated such as the Pomodoro Technique.

My grips with this course is that a lot of the lectures and explanations are too shallow and vague for the students who expected in-depth learning. I feel like this is more of a motivational courses akin to reading a self-help book if anything.

By Rachel H

Jan 29, 2021

Pretty good, although not awesome. I took the previous course, Learning How to Learn, which covered a lot of the same material and with more depth than this Mindshift course. However, this course did have some additional info I found helpful and although they didn't have as many interviews, the ones they included tended to be more beneficial and interesting in my opinion.Also, the editing and video style and animations were much more advanced and modern than Learning How to Learn.

By maria

Mar 6, 2019

Overall the course itself was good. However I do have a problem with the assignments/discussions obligating you to be personal with a bunch of strangers. I understand that it helps, but not everyone likes talking or discussing their personal goals, values, life, plans, past, etc. I found it very difficult to partake in those assignments/discussions. However that is just my personality (which is why I gave it a lower rating). Sorry.

By ESTHER A - R

May 11, 2017

the delivery was well done just as in learning how to learn, my 3 star rating is only based on some points i don't fully agree with. Nevertheless it gives good insight for those considering a mindshift and those who didn't know it is possible to mindshift. Thank you to my both professors!! Job well done again.

By Ashish K

Apr 6, 2020

Some concepts were really nice like importance of being slow learner,diffused/focused learning but other then that ,most of the things we regularly hear from our seniors like importance of mentor,reading books,defining goals etc.I expected something more out of this course.

By Rachelle F

Oct 23, 2020

Not nearly as good or informative as the previous course, Learning to Learn. Too vague, barely touches on the subjects I was hoping to receive more insight on such as career change and anything applicable to learning at a later age.

By Lerrick S

Jun 12, 2017

This course was useful. I felt that this should rather have been an update to the course Learning how to learn instead of being a separate course. I would recommend that this be completed only after doing Learning how to learn.

By Lucy S

Jan 6, 2021

I really liked the first couple of weeks of this course, but weeks 3 and 4 were not all that interesting or informative. I found the precursor to this MOOC, learning how to learn, more engaging overall.