Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential, McMaster University

About this Course

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

By TM

Feb 12, 2018

I really enjoyed the first course, Learn 2Learn. The female professor is great but the boring old guy should have been kicked out of the course, as he do not provide anything of value for the course.

By SN

Jan 18, 2018

Thank you Barbara. It was really enjoyable trip with you in this course. I have found many new learning techniques. Your positive behavior was very encouraging for me to begin a new list of my life!

833 Reviews

By alaa mohamed taha

Mar 21, 2019

it very good

By Randall Little

Mar 18, 2019

Really enjoyed this course - got so much out of it. Thank you so much for it!

By aula sharfo

Mar 17, 2019

A great course that I learned a lot from

The view of the information was very nice

By GEOCONDA NATALI ROBLES ROBLES

Mar 15, 2019

Mindshift es un curso increíble que me permitió tener herramientas para aprender de una manera divertida y efectiva. Barbara y Terry son maestros asombrosos y me encanta su forma de enseñar. Lo recomiendo al 10%.

By Wihmunga Li

Mar 15, 2019

Informative and easy to follow.

By Kelly Hong

Mar 11, 2019

Life changing class that instill great study habits that WORK, and positive actionable mindsets that help you succeed in life and learning!

By Safwa Mohamed

Mar 09, 2019

this course has many impacts on me and my mind in a very impressive way . from adopting the concept of broaden my passions instead of following them blindly till the idea of being flexible and to accept the changes around me. another that i had learned from this course is how to learn from the past and how to try to improve yourself whenever the train of life has to stop.

By maria

Mar 06, 2019

Overall the course itself was good. However I do have a problem with the assignments/discussions obligating you to be personal with a bunch of strangers. I understand that it helps, but not everyone likes talking or discussing their personal goals, values, life, plans, past, etc. I found it very difficult to partake in those assignments/discussions. However that is just my personality (which is why I gave it a lower rating). Sorry.

By Sébastien Lavoie

Mar 06, 2019

This course is a great follow-up to "Learning How to Learn". It is less focused on practical advice and more on "life advice". On the practical side, I found memory tricks presented by Nelson Dellis to be very useful. All the theory behind how procrastination works was also enlightening. I liked very much the interview with entrepreneur Adam Khoo who gave profound advice and served as a great example of someone who can start from nothing and learn to reach the highest level. All the advice given about career was spot on: general competence vs selective ignorance; read, read and read again to keep shining in your field; broaden your passions; get a mentor... Everything is applicable and motivating. Well done!

By Aline Vanessa Silva Andrade