Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

EC
Aug 26, 2020

I enjoyed this course very much. I am 64-years-old and this course taught me that you can learn anything new no matter what age you are. I am now broadening my passions and learning is a lot more fun.

LV
Apr 30, 2020

I enjoyed this MOOC. It is very well-done and clearly covers the topics of mindshifting along with career advancement. Also--good illustrations and visuals/sounds which assist in the learning process.

26 - 50 of 3,219 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By mashael

Aug 6, 2019

my first MOOC and was very helpful, the instructor is fun and present the material in an easy understandable way. I've also enjoyed the assignments and discussions. hope to see more courses from this instructor in the near future.

By Swapnil D

May 16, 2021

This course is probably _not_ an eye-opener for most people and it is not meant to drastically change your perspective about yourself or the others around you. Instead, it's an excellent pocket guide to help you rethink and reconsider you learn and approach your career and profession. The course does an excellent job of tying in some practical wisdom with scientific research. Hidden within this course is some great advice, tips and plenty of motivation that people from all walks of life will find extremely useful regardless of their age, cultural background or where they are in their career.

By Vicky L

May 5, 2021

Another great course was written by Barbara - clear, to the point, and fun to watch. She does such a great job of making ideas easy to comprehend and in a way that sticks in your brain for a long time to come. She is a truly talented teacher; she shows us the dedication, work, and fun that goes into taking the time to really get the message across to students. Makes you wonder just how many sub-par teachers we've had in the past in school or college, don't you think?

By Patama G

May 29, 2021

I would recommend this course as the first course for Coursera. If you are an adult learner, this course gives you useful concepts to enhance your lifelong learning ability (learning how to learn). If you are a teacher, this course will be an example of a very engaged online course (learning how to teach).

By Sandy A

May 22, 2021

Really a good course. I think it should be mandatory! Fantastic! I gave me techniques to improve my concentration and to handle or channel better negative thoughts or emotions. Loved it!

By Tiffany C P

May 24, 2021

I learned a lot on how to use my talents in other ways and to apply to another career path. Also how to use your passion toward your job or other jobs. I enjoyed this class immensely.

By SURARIHA . P

Aug 8, 2019

It's my first MOOC course. Its really awesome that I got to know about this course. And now I have learnt a lot about Mind shift, will surely try to utilize this my life! :)

By Satyaveer P

Sep 24, 2020

This course has helped me have a whole new perspective in life! It has led me to believe that change is possible through small, conscious effort daily.

By Lai Z

May 20, 2021

Excellent and life-changing course. Sadly, no teachers teach us how to learn effectively at middle/high school/college.

By 江祖榮

Aug 2, 2019

Very useful and practical

Jul 1, 2018

In general, this was a fascinating course that debunked many of the beliefs I had about learning. I found Professor Oakley's personal anecdotes about switching careers from languages to engineering to be inspiring, since I'm making the same jump. All of the lectures were very high-level, but there were links to more in-depth research papers in the resources section, which was a nice balance. That being said, I think this course could be reduced to two weeks, instead of four. The lectures started to drag towards the end. Certain segments of Week 4 felt more like advertisements for the course than lectures. Other than that, I'd like to see more interviews with career changers and expert learners. The concepts were interesting, but having practical advice from people who have actually changed their mindset and learning habits would be more beneficial.

By Johannes G A B

Mar 30, 2020

There is nothing wrong with the course, and I am sure it can help plenty of people, but I personally found the content can be a bit "common sense" for a lot of people, to the point where you can pass every exam without spending any time on the content of the course.

May be life-changing for others, but while I think the content itself is good, it kinda told me what I already knew a lot of the times.

By tousif d

Sep 16, 2017

The course basically revises the Learn how to learn earlier course with extra learning on the MOOC which is really a off topic for this subject and additional points on the career front which are really well thought off. Overall, I like the earlier course "Learn how to learn" more than this but definitely I got some good points from this course too which I would like to think and follow.

By luiz.cunha@axa-im.com

Jun 2, 2018

Have the feeling most of this MOOC is a simple repeat of the (great) first MOOC on which it is based, "Learning how to learn". Much less added value, except for the great optional videos from Nelson Dellis

By Thomas L

Jul 22, 2017

Well executed MOOC but more appropriate for students who are starting their university education of careers. I found some aspects new and interesting too. But I expected something different from the title.

By Norhana A

Mar 24, 2018

Since I've taken the Learning How to Learn course first, I find this course rather repetitive most of the time.

By Albiser T

Jul 5, 2019

Mindshift semble plutôt être une occasion pour ses deux créateurs de refaire un mooc après le succès de "learning to learn" sans rien à redire sur le sujet. Il n'y a que redite ou évidence, jamais de fondements scientifiques comme il pouvait y en avoir sur leur premier MOOC, mais uniquement l'exemple de la vie de madame Oakley illustré par 2-3 autres personnes qui semblent uniquement avoir été choisi pour confirmer ses propos. Très scientifique tout cela... Dr Sejnowski quant à lui est constamment à côté de la plaque et l'on ne comprend pas l'utilité de ses interventions....

Très déçu par ce MOOC qui n'a rien à voir avec le très bon "Learning to Learn", on est plus ici dans du développement personnel à deux balles qui fait insulte à la science.

Je ne saurais même pas dire ce que j'ai pu y apprendre.

By C. L R

Sep 4, 2017

I am a long-time vipassana meditator. I lost interest with the course when teacher presented vipassana meditation very incorrectly - even mispronouncing the word! After that, I did not trust her qualifications to teach.

By Devendra L

Apr 19, 2020

by mistakenly i have register this courser

By VIHANG G P

Jul 8, 2020

Do not Receive Honors Certificate

By Muzaffar Q

Oct 10, 2020

Contains not good

By Srishti S

May 4, 2020

I was going through a very tough time in my career. I was facing constant failures and had fallen completely in the trap of stress, anxiety and depression. I had lost track of how to learn and make significant changes in my behaviour to alter the faulty outcomes.

Then I came across this course by Barbara and Terry of Mindshift.

It told me step by step that my slow learning abilities can be a boon if utilised strategically. I got to know how my hiker brain be used to understand the concepts in more depth. How changing my career from one field to another empowers me to think creatively and maybe lead to a Paradigm shift. I got to know about various learning techniques like chunking, mastery learning, deliberate practice and a bit of memorisation.

I suffer from major anxiety issue while studying but Barbara told me that stress is inevitable but by changing my perspective, identifying my negative distortions, labeling them and positively re-framing my negative thoughts can go a long way in developing a more realistic and rational outlook.

At last, from Terry I learnt how important it is to read books from not only our domain of work but also of other areas to help us develop a wide-ranging metaphors. This differentiates us from the general public and aids in our career enhancement.

Her explanation of Diffused and Focused thinking is very practical for me to use whenever I think my mind is wandering off way while studying.

There are a few emerging fields which are changing our world at a very fast rate. Deep Learning, Big Data Analytics and artificial intelligence. These fields are causing disruptions at such a great magnitude that it is unavoidable. So it is better to try your hands in them and gain some level of knowledge about it.

I am very thankful to both of them for giving me the confidence that if I keep a positive reframing of my thoughts, approach the challenges with the idea that I have enough potential to do it and even more. The new learning techniques to gain mastery of a subject is making me feel positive that if I use it now, I can change the old outcomes I used to get after my poor studying techniques.

Also, I would like to thank Coursera to offer this wonderful course for free for students like me during this global pandemic. It has completely opened a new horizon for me of learning in the world of MOOCs.

After this course I am going on in my life with a positive mindshift!

By Neetika D

Jun 3, 2020

I thank Dr. Barbara Oakley for creating and teaching this course. She is really a best experienced and effective instructor. She has worked hard to bring all the knowledge/techniques about "how to learn" from all over the world. I can truly see her dedication in preparing this course and in presenting "Mindshift" course. Also, thanks to Dr. Terrence Sejnowski for bringing his knowledge of neuroscience and facts on brain behaviors to this course. Thank you to all other presenters who shared their valuable insights, perspectives, and skills.

This course has cleared my misconceptions about how to learn like; memorization is ok if you understand the concept, active learning by living the subject, reason for learning forever, passions and hobbies can be broadened, and many more.

I was always passionate about learning, but hesitated, thinking it's too late and what's the use. I tried several time before but gave up every time. Now, because of this course my mind has really shifted with greater reason and confidence that I need to learn, I can learn, and I know it how!

Thank you!

By Dr.T.Senthil E D

Aug 17, 2020

This Course is definitely an important course for all learners irrespective of the boundaries like nation ,language,culture ,age and academic accomplishments.The learner can be graduate or not and no prerequisite is needed to understand the concepts introduced in this course. The author Dr.Barbara Oakley explained the complex concepts with simple understandable manner with interactive lecture materials. The learners definitely keep the concepts and implement in day to day life ,introduced by the Dr.Barbara Oakley. She can be the virtual mentor for all the participants of the Mindshift course,guiding in the planning of their career goals. The another author Dr.Terrence Sejnowski also introduces basic concepts about neuro science in learning style that entirely new to the participants. I thank the authors for presenting very wonderful and deep thinkable course through Coursera MOOC platform. Definitely this course will have impact in the participants for becoming good learner and good reader also.Thanks

By JAYABRATA D

Apr 27, 2020

In week 1 of this course, I was hoping to overcome certain challenges such as learning different subjects other than my field of specialization. Ways to Cultivate a growth mindset and becoming a lifelong learner the most important things I wanted to get through this course. And after finishing this course I can confidently say that this course has offered me plenty of valuable suggestions and ideas to acquire what I wanted. One of the thongs I found astonishing is the advice 'Don't just follow your passion, broaden your passion'. I think this is a pretty valuable suggestion in today's era. Learning multiple skills is an excellent idea. This course has taught me to do that. The effective approaches to learn somethings faster and better are something this course has offered wonderfully. I have gained a lot and have put those learnings in my life. I have become a better learner after this course. Overall, I had an amazing experience in this course and this has left an impression in my life.