Back to Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential by McMaster University

Mindshift is designed to help boost your career and life in today’s fast-paced learning environment. Whatever your age or stage, Mindshift teaches you essentials such as how to get the most out of online learning and MOOCs, how to seek out and work with mentors, the secrets to avoiding career ruts (and catastrophes) and general ruts in life, and insights such as the value of selective ignorance over general competence. We’ll provide practical insights from science about how to learn and change effectively even in maturity, and we’ll build on what you already know to take your life’s learning in fantastic new directions. This course is designed to show you how to look at what you’re learning, and your place in what’s unfolding in the society around you, so you can be what you want to be, given the real world constraints that life puts on us all. You’ll see that by using certain mental tools and insights, you can learn and do more—far more—than you might have ever dreamed! This course can be taken independent of, concurrent with, or subsequent to, its companion course, Learning How to Learn. (Mindshift is more career focused, and Learning How to Learn is more learning focused.)...

DI
Oct 30, 2020

Great course! This is a lot more general than Learning about Learning but is also useful nonetheless. I like the focus on keeping positive and being confident in your potential despite our weaknesses.

SM
Jun 21, 2020

I enjoyed this MOOC. It is very well-done and clearly covers the topics of mindshifting along with career advancement. Also--good illustrations and visuals/sounds which assist in the learning process.

176 - 200 of 3,015 Reviews for Mindshift: Break Through Obstacles to Learning and Discover Your Hidden Potential

By Ray P S

Mar 31, 2020

It was an excellent MOOC, one of my favorites alongside Learning How To Learn. Although some concepts have been repetitive based on the other-mentioned course, I believe it's to further reinforce what I've learned so far.

The additional videos with Mr. Dellis was also a delight to watch. Great memory tips and learning strategies! I would highly recommended this course to my peers and mentors. Thanks, Mrs. Barb and Mr. Sejnowsky!

By Shaimaa M

Sep 28, 2019

I've really enjoyed every minute of the course. It is entertaining and useful. I've learned a lot and i was in a real good mood, which encouraged me to start taking serious steps in my life. Now i know that not all my bad traits are really bad, i know how to make them work for me. Now i know that it is never to late to change. Now i know that it is never as bad as you thing it is at the time.

By jooonkee

Jul 7, 2018

highly recommended for anyone who'd like to learn anything; a good first course to take before taking any other learning. it gives you sense of direction, navigation tools and help you reap more from forth coming learning activitiesa very solid, practical and useful course for career-switcher and any working, retiring or young adults to acquire mindset and skills needed to learn in the future life; Learning made useful and easy!

By JOSÉ S A C

Nov 26, 2017

Excelente curso. Hubiera querido conocer estas técnicas, métodos y trucos desde mi juventud. He reforzado mi forma de pensar, siempre he sido un autodidacta, y estas enseñanzas ratifican que he estado en el camino correcto. Agradezco a los profesores por compartir sus conocimientos y experiencias. Siempre positivo en la vida y es buendo cambiar de mentalidad para lograr el éxito en todo lo que emprendamos. Buena suerte a todos.

By Iris A

Jan 14, 2021

This course, such as the previous "Learning how to learn" teaches you very useful tricks for better understanding and memorizing the material. The reason why it is so effective is that it uses visual content, metaphors, tricks that make you stay focused. In my opinion, the most significant reason for this course's success is that the two instructors obviously enjoy what they are doing and put a lot of effort to keep improving.

By Yashila B

Sep 26, 2018

Really interesting and eye opening course, which can be watched relatively passively because of how well the concepts are laid out and reiterated. Awesome student engagement in the optional assignments and well written quiz questions meant to reinforce ideas and themes as opposed to test particular phrases. Relatable and dynamic lecturers and videos and interspersed helpful tips and tricks really helped maintain my attention.

By Christiane G

May 8, 2017

Helpful mix of practical advise and background to understand why some things work and others don't. Fun ! And one of the few courses that will have a practical impact on my life. Whatever the magic, great Job! I wish all the things I learned had such an adequate mix so that I could imediatly start applying what I learn without sometimes years going by before I actually understand what a theory or model is trying to explain.

By Arpine A

Oct 1, 2020

I really loved this course to be the continuation for the "Learning how to learn" course, because there were some ideas that were being repeated but the course was full of new ideas and interesting useful tips. The video graphics were better too :).For me these courses made major changes - I have remembered how I loved learning, as well as the idea that i should never stop learning!Thank you Dr. Oakley and Dr. Sejnowski!

By Stanley

Apr 9, 2019

This was a great course which explained the neuroscience behind learning and how to apply it to making changes in learning endeavours within a societal context. Both lecturers were engaging and presented the material in an insightful and humorous way. Self-check activities throughout the course were very helpful in internalising the material and applying it to my own life. Highly recommended for all lifelong learners!

By Kevin M K M

Oct 20, 2020

This course took me about 8 days to complete, it's well structured with short videos and very engaging content. I had already taken Barbara's first-course Learning How To Learn and this felt like a sequel to the first course. I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to improve on their learning techniques whether you are currently in the process of learning or thinking about embarking on a learning journey.

By Joy S

Dec 26, 2020

This is a good course! This helps me a lot in coping up with my course. All the anxieties and overthinking are slowly fading away. I guess this is somehow a therapy for people like me who is so indecisive. Mindshift is a course that will give you ideas on how to be flexible in any situation. I have also learned so many techniques that would help me in my studies. Overall, this is a great course and great teachers!

By Maritza I M

Feb 17, 2021

Wish I had taken these courses earlier!!! Barb has done such a great job creating a course that is engaging and memorable. Found her through a Ted Talk and was excited to take her Learning to Learn course. Thought it was so practical I jumped right into Mindshift when I was done. Nothing complicated about the content or the application of the ideas, it's so simple, makes so much sense. I tell everyone about it!

By Dr S T L

Jul 30, 2020

it was a wonderful and enjoyable learning space .Barbara is indeed a great role model as she shares her own mindshift across disciplines

i truly enjoyed both her and Terry way of teaching that made the whole experience invigorating for me at 52 years.

it has been higly validating that i was and am and will be a Mindshifter and a life long learner !

thank you all and happy and joyful learning times ahead !

By Eva M C T

Aug 21, 2020

I learned so much from this course Midshift. I happened to know myself more and because I learned how approach people, accept new learning and skills, and adapt with new environments, in a very creative way. The whole course team especially Ms. Barbara Oakley and Sir Terrence Sejnowski did a great job. They were such effective mentors. I can't thank you enough, but thank you so much. God bless and more power!

By Parikshit M

Apr 28, 2020

This was my first MOOC and I am overwhelmed with the online teaching qualities of Dr. Barbara.

My first week did not give me the kick and I got more into the course after starting week 2.

Some times it was becoming too technical and I was like… why… ? But every aspects is stitched well and I realized the importance of those technicalities as well.

I strongly recommend to take the MIndShift now… Now

By Francoise F

Oct 2, 2017

This course like his sister course: "Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects" should simply be a prerequisite for anybody on this planet who starts learning or teaching no matter when. I strongly believe also that a simpler version for very young kids and kids should also be created too. Well done to the instructors/mentors of these two courses. You are simply the best!

By Oscar

Jul 29, 2017

Muchas gracias a Coursera por esta maravillosa oportunidad de aprender de la mano de personas tan valiosas e importantes como lo son la Dra. Barbara Oakley y el Dr. Terrence Sejnowski.

Muchas gracias por permitirme tener el honor de acceder a conocimiento de calidad.

Dios permita que algún día toda la educación mundial pueda ser 100 % gratis, incluidos los programas especializados y certificados.

Hasta Pronto

By Andres M

May 3, 2017

It is an amazing science based course (explained in a way that anyone can get it) about your mind and how you can make changes in your life through learning. It has very practical advice about many aspects that help you understand how your mind works and how to use it to better your life, no matter what you have experienced before. Thank you very much, again (for this course and for ‘Learning How to Learn’).

By Iselda R

Dec 11, 2020

This is a great course (MOOC) for someone who just started there career, someone that is seasoned or even someone that is about to retire. It would also be beneficial to show this to high and college students. It was very interesting to me on how the brain works. You may ask, "How would that benefit me?" Well, they also talk about how to not make yourself obsolete. It was a great course and not boring at al

By Maged R

Aug 21, 2017

Mindshift continues the success of Learning How To Learn, a catchy course that helped me to plan and set points of what to look for in my learning journey, how to set goals and how to overcome procrastination and how to deal with emotions from past experiences and the worries of the future, it also reinforced the importance of reading and shed the light on MOOCS and their invaluable weight in today's world.

By Priya K S

Jun 27, 2020

I enjoyed this course and found it very useful and practical. The content and presentation was really good. Keeps the interest going with simple concepts backed with scientifically proven research and data to explain the concepts. Helped in bringing out new perspectives to any situations in life. The sessions were short and clear with fun learning which helps you understand and retain the concepts clearly.

By Vinson C

The instructor Dr. Barbara Oakley is very good. Her class is fun, easy to understand and the teaching is practical and useful at the same time. It gives me a new perspective of how online learning should be. Whether you are having trouble learning, feeling frustrated about your career, questioning about your own ability, or looking for ways to learn effectively, this is the class you don't want to miss.

By Danica B

Sep 21, 2017

It's a great course, a brush up on Learning how to Learn and expanding it to realize - you can learn anything!It reviews basically all the concepts from Learning how to Learn, and builds wonderfully.If you are doubting whether you can learn something or if you keep failing and procrastinating, this course will give you amazing advice supported by research on what to do to improve the position you're in :)

By Diana S

Feb 11, 2020

This is a great course for everyone. It is well designed. The content and delivery method is excellent. Mindshift is filled with a treasure chest of tips and tricks for learning and skill development. The course contains a perfect mix of practical and theoretical content. I suggest everyone take this course as the information will have a positive impact on your life happily leading you to a Mindshift.

By M E

Thanks to Dr Barbara, Tery and all other team members for presenting this wonderful and lively course. I completed this course, spending 2 hours a week on it and I have a good reputation for being taken this course. This course broadened my outlook about the learning process. This will help me to take a good plan for my futue plan. I hope this team will bring new MOOC as soon as possible. Thanks again!