Back to Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

JA

Jun 22, 2019

Great course, lots of very challenging and useful information. You'll learn about Linux and some of the inner workings of Windows, plus lots of tools and programs that are really useful. Great course!

BO

Apr 02, 2019

This is my most favorite module module, especially the Linux, which is my all time favorite OS ever enjoy learning, working Programing, and configuring, and will continue enjoying til the end of time.

1701 - 1725 of 2,315 Reviews for Operating Systems and You: Becoming a Power User

By Victor A L

Sep 13, 2020

Very interesting, and well done videos, my only disappointment is with the labs, specially the ones for windows that had many issues from using power shell (which don't execute the commands) to labs who are slow to show the login info or simply won't credit the points earned when completing a task.

Videos from the instrustor are pretty good an the instructor is awesome. But please work a little bit to improve labs and make them faster and credir points when a task is completed.

By Robert H

Aug 07, 2019

Gave a good understanding of the concepts and use of the command line. Being given the commands in most assessments was nice in order to successfully complete the assessment. But there could have been more assessments like the final one, where we had to really think about what commands or actions to take. I had to research my notes to find the right commands for that one. This type testing would seem more effective for a real world scenario.

By Meghan B

Nov 19, 2018

The final test (Windows section) was a bit more difficult than I expected. I wasn't expecting to be using the Gui as much as it actually required us to use. I think you definitely should explain that the Gui will be as big a part in the final as the Powershell. I ended up writing down all the code I knew to complete all the tasks and I ended up failing it twice. No where did it state that I would be using the Gui except for the example task.

By Don G M

May 01, 2019

The content was great, with explanations about the commands and examples.

However, not much opportunity to practice using them (which is essential in this course since it's 99% about using commands), unless you have access to both Windows and Linux. They should set up a Qwiklab environment which can be accessed anytime during the course, so we can experiment and practice commands, without the risk of bricking your personal systems.

By LELA M

Jun 01, 2020

It would really help to provide a list of downloads (OS, software, etc) that would help facilitate learning throughout the course and encourage students to have those all ready installed and ready to use, if they choose. It was a bit frustrating when you get to a video where I am ready to dive in and watch all the videos to be told theres a link after that video to something that could have helped me during the video.

By Julio F

Apr 13, 2018

Really good course for those who do not have any experience using GUI in windows as well in powershell. This courses touches also the foundations of linux. So I think it is an essential course that you should definitely take. The only reason I gave 4 stars is because Labs were a bit confusing and sometimes, extremely slow. But don't let that stop you from taking this course. LOTS OF THUMBS UP FOR THIS COURSE!

By Michael V

Dec 16, 2019

Week 1 Linux: List Directories pop quiz at the end is configured incorrectly. I'm not sure if it is my browser. But the question is: In Bash, if you need a little help with how a command like ls works, which of the commands can you use to get more information? Check all that apply.

Obviously the correct answer if ls --help

But it prompts that manual help and help ls are also correct when they are not.

By Drew H

Mar 26, 2020

Originally I thought the layout was a little clunky, but when I wanted to go back and review something that I was struggling with it I was incredibly appreciative of the layout. My only real problem with the course is that it was so basic for intermediate users. I'm not sure I learned anything on the Windows end of things, however I did learn a great deal for Linux and it helped me tremendously.

By Ronald P

May 14, 2019

as someone who is just moving from centos (RHEL) linux to Ubuntu (Debian) linux this course was something i needed. however there should have been some things on mac. lots of graphic and cad companies mainly use macs not windows or linux. audio processing is also best done with macs. walking in or getting a support line call and not knowing the system can lead to many more issues.

By Ahmed E

Mar 31, 2019

This model was pretty challenging feel like it can be way more interactive especially on the coding exercises. Also think the interactive approach helps the learning to stick better because we are doing more over and over to make sure the skills are learned instead of just memorized for a brief moment which is what college and most learning experiences are notorious for!

By Mikey B

Jul 16, 2020

Great instructor, easy to follow, and the material wasn't as dense compared to the Networking class. My only complaint was the amount of commands given in the terminal and the amount of explanations or examples. The Qwiklabs were helpful, but I needed more of them especially like the last one where you have to fix problems with what you learned throughout the class.

By Philip D

Jul 13, 2020

There could be a download of the commands for both windows and linux, some of the lectures weren't thorough enough. At times it was moving to fast. There should be a better way to take notes. The scrolling of the lectures took the video out of view. I found it annoying. The labs were difficult because there was no concrete examples in the second lab.

By Brent K

Jun 04, 2018

I thought the course was very good and informative. It was great being able to utilize the virtual machines for the labs, but it made me wish there was a way to have a virtual machine to use while watching the videos. I was able to follow along and actually do some of these tasks for Windows as I watched, but since I don't have a machine with Ubun

By Matthew B

May 29, 2019

I loved this course. It challenged me to go back and remember alot of Linux and Powershell commands which I'm not familiar. My only issue were some of the labs and some instructions. Some of the instructions seems a little confusing and the lab itself has it's bugs. I couldn't complete 2 of the labs and just simply moved onto the next lesson.

By Gabriele G

Jan 11, 2019

Deeply analytical and technical course oriented to provide the user the standard hard skills needed to perform IT support activities within a company. Linux Introduction to Bash, use of Microsoft different tools and understanding of the backgrounds of an OS makes this course a "must-have" in your portfolio. Empowering tech support operators!

By Jeremiah Z

Jul 22, 2019

It was explained in very good detail, but i feel like it needed more exercises than supplemental readings. You can read something all day and yes it will help, but feel like this course and all the commands you learn need to be more exercised than read about with more quizzes involving typing in the commands, rather than reading about them.

By Ruth D

Apr 20, 2018

The only issue I had a negative with was the labs. The course is great, content relevant and well demonstrated. There is a boat load of reading, but that is part of learning, isn't it. Pay close attention to the difference between command and flags as they require certain sequencing to be effective, which I still am unsure of.

By Daniel C M

Aug 06, 2020

The instructor Cindy, typed "enter" immediately after every command line, particularly on Linux, causing the data to fill and the command that was entered to disappear off the screen. This made if very difficult to follow and had to stop the video multiple times to see what she was typing. Other than that, a very good course.

By Ian S

May 27, 2018

Not bad. Great information presented, but seriously lacking in repetition. Powershell vs CMD not properly explained (saw many complaints in forums). Thankfully I had lots of prior experience in terminal and Powershell. This was great reinforcement, but I would not recommend it as an entry level course.

By Russ H

Mar 26, 2018

I enjoyed these courses but I have to admit I feel like we are the first people running the google cloud labs as the qwiklabs are sometimes broken and don't function properly. This is discouraging when you only have so much time and I had to do them many times to pass after jumping through many hoops.

By Devin C

I think we could've used a bit more hands on work with the different OS's. The labs are VERY straight forward, and when so much of this process is troubleshooting and figuring out what the best solution to a problem is, it felt like the floor dropped out from under me for the final assessment.

By Sarthak G

Mar 15, 2020

The course was very good. Especially the labs were very informative and helped me in analysing my skills. Also the Linux labs were very interesting. I would request you to put more content in the course. The content present is not so much useful, some advance content is also expected.

By Robin C

Apr 10, 2018

I loved this course. The only flaw I have encountered was with week 3, the Windows lab. There were a number of issues with that lab, and from the discussion board it looks like many other people had issues as well. There were a number of "work arounds" that everyone came up.

By Kathy

Jul 05, 2018

This was an intense course because there was so much material and commands. However, with some practice and note taking it's not so bad. Especially, helpful when it came to doing the labs since it's hands on practice. I learned quite a bit and enjoyed this course quite a bit.

By Eva N O

Apr 26, 2019

A good course that gets you acquainted with manipulating OS. It makes it all less daunting. the instructor was a little impatient with explaining concepts but her external links did lead me to a better content to better explain what she was teaching. Overall, a good course.