Back to Practical Time Series Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Practical Time Series Analysis by The State University of New York

Welcome to Practical Time Series Analysis! Many of us are "accidental" data analysts. We trained in the sciences, business, or engineering and then found ourselves confronted with data for which we have no formal analytic training. This course is designed for people with some technical competencies who would like more than a "cookbook" approach, but who still need to concentrate on the routine sorts of presentation and analysis that deepen the understanding of our professional topics. In practical Time Series Analysis we look at data sets that represent sequential information, such as stock prices, annual rainfall, sunspot activity, the price of agricultural products, and more. We look at several mathematical models that might be used to describe the processes which generate these types of data. We also look at graphical representations that provide insights into our data. Finally, we also learn how to make forecasts that say intelligent things about what we might expect in the future. Please take a few minutes to explore the course site. You will find video lectures with supporting written materials as well as quizzes to help emphasize important points. The language for the course is R, a free implementation of the S language. It is a professional environment and fairly easy to learn. You can discuss material from the course with your fellow learners. Please take a moment to introduce yourself! Time Series Analysis can take effort to learn- we have tried to present those ideas that are "mission critical" in a way where you understand enough of the math to fell satisfied while also being immediately productive. We hope you enjoy the class!...

JM

Mar 21, 2019

This was a very good and detailed course. I liked this course for two reasons mainly:\n\nIt started from the basics of timeseries analysis, covering theory and secondly it took me gradually to r.

LY

Aug 03, 2019

A nice course which is practical as the name said, it balanced the portion of theories and practices. I used to not familiar with this topic, but now I consider myself much more familiar.

26 - 50 of 185 Reviews for Practical Time Series Analysis

By William G

Mar 29, 2019

This course is great. It is the best that I have tried on the web. Clearly explained and the math is fair to understand the topics and be able to get the ideas clear. Even the code for R is a great way to learn!

By Murali

Mar 30, 2019

very good explanation. specifically about ACF and PACF.

Thanks!

By Matthew C Z

Jan 28, 2019

Great course, I highly recommend!

By Anas M

Jan 27, 2019

A Well structured and well taught course thank you !

By Sai R

Jan 27, 2019

First I started out reading Intro to Time Series and Forecasting, the book suggested by everyone. But, I could not understand the math because it was too tough. I did not lose hope. I completed this course because sometimes you need to get an overview of what needs to be done and then if you dive into the math of it, it will be easy. Much recommended course for the beginning of time series and forecasting techniques. 5 stars! Thank you

By Raymond P

Apr 01, 2019

Great course. It's much better than my professor's lectures

By Indresh T

Apr 12, 2019

Course is really good to know the in depth understanding of the various models working around for the time series analysis.

By Aaron D

Mar 04, 2019

Great, starts off slow and detailed and then moves onto a variety of practical problems

By Sergi

Mar 14, 2019

Very good and structured lessons about fundamentals of time series modeling. Well done! I missed a bit the forecasting part though

By Krzysztof R

Mar 06, 2019

Very motivating course, quite easier as it is intermediate one, but still satisfying and moving the knowledge forward! Recommend!

By Chinmay J D

Jan 05, 2019

Excellent coursework !! Very less amount of theory is required and hence a very useful for beginners.

By Jie F

Feb 13, 2019

very good course for time series study

By XINGHUA L

Feb 26, 2019

imperfections in it but really practical and good enough

By Abinaya A R

Sep 23, 2018

I had an wonderful experience learning this course. Descriptions and teaching methodology was quite comfortable with me. The reading materials and the lectures together provided an overall understanding of the contents. Happy to have found and completed this course.

By Anthony A Q D

Sep 14, 2018

It's really good. I'm a master of applied statistic student and haven't taken time series. It helped me a lot, the math can be decently challenging but was rewarding when I did it. The vocabulary are very obtuse though. Trend, stationarity, etc.. is lost in the details. Process order and lag relationship was somewhat lost in the detail. Overall I learned a lot thank you!

By vinay b

Aug 25, 2018

This is a phenomenal course if one wants to have a thorough understanding of how ARIMA forecasting is performed.

On top of that, this course is absolutely free (with an option to buy).

Thanks a lot !

By Liu L

Aug 29, 2018

Good introductory course on time series and R programming. Hope you can give a following course on further topics obout time series.

By Manish k

Aug 30, 2018

The course structure is really nice and focused on hand's on application of Time series analysis. I was able to understand the maths also quite well, thanks to the Tutor for such a simplified explanation. I would look forward to see some more advance Time Series Courses like this.

I would highly recommend this course to all the active learners willing to learn Time Series Analysis.

By Douglas B P

Sep 02, 2018

Great!!

By Pau R

Aug 20, 2018

Nnice and smooth introduction to time Series that gives you a good basis to understand this topic.

By Victor Z

Sep 03, 2018

A very interesting and well made course that I would recommend to students and professionals. A possible enhancement would be including a discussion on the ranges of applicability of ARIMA and smoothing forecasting methods.

By Logan S

Oct 23, 2018

Great course. Once you get your mind around the math with the real-world examples the applications and understanding become quite obvious. Would recommend just presenting the checklist at the outset so learners know that they're building into a framework.

By Sanathkumar P

Oct 03, 2018

I found this course to have the right mixture of math and practical examples to illustrate the approaches for time series analysis. Even if some parts of got too mathy, I was still able to understand it. Considering that its been a while since I have dealt with math, it should be encouraging for others having similar reservations.

By Ramachandra R K

Nov 08, 2018

Decent course with a right balance between math, coding and high level explanation. AR, MA and ARMA (ARIMA) models are very well explained. I am not a big fan of R (even after this course) but it seems its time series analysis libraries and datasets are comprehensive. The best part of the course is the in-course coding examples and tasks. They really help you get hands-on into analysing various time series objects. A little more emphasis should have been made on forecasting.

By Robert S

Nov 11, 2018

The instructors provided detailed background for the theoretically inclined while gradually developing practical implementations in R using many real time series. Having finished the course I have a firm grasp of the process of analyzing time series and forecasting from them, as well as greater general facility in R. Overall an excellent and useful course.