Back to Practical Time Series Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Practical Time Series Analysis by The State University of New York

Welcome to Practical Time Series Analysis! Many of us are "accidental" data analysts. We trained in the sciences, business, or engineering and then found ourselves confronted with data for which we have no formal analytic training. This course is designed for people with some technical competencies who would like more than a "cookbook" approach, but who still need to concentrate on the routine sorts of presentation and analysis that deepen the understanding of our professional topics. In practical Time Series Analysis we look at data sets that represent sequential information, such as stock prices, annual rainfall, sunspot activity, the price of agricultural products, and more. We look at several mathematical models that might be used to describe the processes which generate these types of data. We also look at graphical representations that provide insights into our data. Finally, we also learn how to make forecasts that say intelligent things about what we might expect in the future. Please take a few minutes to explore the course site. You will find video lectures with supporting written materials as well as quizzes to help emphasize important points. The language for the course is R, a free implementation of the S language. It is a professional environment and fairly easy to learn. You can discuss material from the course with your fellow learners. Please take a moment to introduce yourself! Time Series Analysis can take effort to learn- we have tried to present those ideas that are "mission critical" in a way where you understand enough of the math to fell satisfied while also being immediately productive. We hope you enjoy the class!...

JM

Mar 21, 2019

This was a very good and detailed course. I liked this course for two reasons mainly:\n\nIt started from the basics of timeseries analysis, covering theory and secondly it took me gradually to r.

LY

Aug 03, 2019

A nice course which is practical as the name said, it balanced the portion of theories and practices. I used to not familiar with this topic, but now I consider myself much more familiar.

51 - 75 of 183 Reviews for Practical Time Series Analysis

By Logan S

Oct 23, 2018

Great course. Once you get your mind around the math with the real-world examples the applications and understanding become quite obvious. Would recommend just presenting the checklist at the outset so learners know that they're building into a framework.

By Sanathkumar P

Oct 03, 2018

I found this course to have the right mixture of math and practical examples to illustrate the approaches for time series analysis. Even if some parts of got too mathy, I was still able to understand it. Considering that its been a while since I have dealt with math, it should be encouraging for others having similar reservations.

By Ramachandra R K

Nov 08, 2018

Decent course with a right balance between math, coding and high level explanation. AR, MA and ARMA (ARIMA) models are very well explained. I am not a big fan of R (even after this course) but it seems its time series analysis libraries and datasets are comprehensive. The best part of the course is the in-course coding examples and tasks. They really help you get hands-on into analysing various time series objects. A little more emphasis should have been made on forecasting.

By Robert S

Nov 11, 2018

The instructors provided detailed background for the theoretically inclined while gradually developing practical implementations in R using many real time series. Having finished the course I have a firm grasp of the process of analyzing time series and forecasting from them, as well as greater general facility in R. Overall an excellent and useful course.

By 刘思航

Oct 24, 2018

very helpful!

By GURUPRASATH S

Nov 16, 2018

Excellent course. Well Structured with sufficient lectures, practical examples and quizzes. Strongly recommended.

By LO W

Mar 03, 2018

Practical Time Series Analysis help me understand more advanced statistical techniques.

By Ciprian C C

Mar 31, 2018

I like this course and the instructors are great. Mostly, they showed care for the students by making the exercises well chosen and accessible, which greatly increases the confidence of the student. The pace of the material is balanced too. I enjoyed it!

By RIcardo G M

Apr 23, 2018

I would definitely recommend this course. It is a smooth introduction to time series analysis, very well explained and guided through multiple examples. I found it really useful!

By Bohdan D

Jul 09, 2018

Probably the best introduction to time series analysis I've ever seen. The information is relatively easy to comprehend

By Wei J

Jun 11, 2018

a great course for time series and forecasting, highly recommend :)

By Pratik C

Jun 10, 2018

Excellent course. The whole topic is broken into bits and pieces and in a well structured form. Makes it easier to understand each concept. Apart from quizzes, few assignment problems where from the given data-set you need to come up with which technique to be used whether SARIMA or Exponential forecasting and then final forecast numbers. This will make it a complete course.

By 陈缘

Apr 05, 2018

Very nice course

By CHENG Y T

Jun 28, 2018

Very practical

By Jeeva V

Jul 04, 2018

The first three weeks it is hard to understand as the course content was not properly organized. some chapters and quizzes are jumbled without order. It has a lot of theory as well. But then after understanding the basics, the theoretical concepts, it is easy to follow. It gave very confident and in fact already started applying in my real world time series problems to model and forecast for future time period. Great course and would recommend to friends who are serious to learn about practical time series analysis.

By joari c

Mar 14, 2018

Very good introduction to Time Series with R. Emphases on concepts rather than on dry math, but also precise as needed. Good supporting material and excellent professors.

By Anet A M C

May 20, 2018

I really liked to take this course. This is my first approach to R programming, and this course was useful for me to reinforce my statistical skills and to learn R.

By Madhu S

Feb 28, 2018

I have not completed the course yet, working on week 5. If you have some Math background, this course gives a good practical introduction to Time Series Analysis. I recommend it.

By Christopher R R

Jun 20, 2018

This is an excellent course that discusses the theory in a clear can concise way. I highly recommend it.

By Wiem C

May 13, 2018

this course was very helpful

By ZHOU G

May 12, 2018

Thanks for the course! I found it very interesting and useful.

I believe the course could be improved by having a proper ending or conclusion, reviewing everything we have learned and introduce some some viable path through which we can further advance the analysis skill. (Or are you actually considering open another course with more advanced technique?

Thanks again!

By Fernando D S

Jun 01, 2018

Wonderful lectures.

By Solomon W

Mar 09, 2018

This is a great course that provides strong introduction to time series analysis and forecasting. I have benefited a lot from it as I took it to advance my career in data science. I have found the mathematical formulations in time series analysis very useful. I have also found the forecasting sections equally useful. All quizzes and in lecture questions were very helpful. The R coding practices are certainly helpful in learning the corresponding R libraries; they also provide template code that is useful for writing custom code for analysis.Many thanks to the instructors!

By Nirash P

Feb 19, 2018

A Wonderful course immense help to understand time series!

By Adhitya A W

Jun 04, 2018

Really easy to digest and crystal clear