Back to Practical Time Series Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Practical Time Series Analysis by The State University of New York

Welcome to Practical Time Series Analysis! Many of us are "accidental" data analysts. We trained in the sciences, business, or engineering and then found ourselves confronted with data for which we have no formal analytic training. This course is designed for people with some technical competencies who would like more than a "cookbook" approach, but who still need to concentrate on the routine sorts of presentation and analysis that deepen the understanding of our professional topics. In practical Time Series Analysis we look at data sets that represent sequential information, such as stock prices, annual rainfall, sunspot activity, the price of agricultural products, and more. We look at several mathematical models that might be used to describe the processes which generate these types of data. We also look at graphical representations that provide insights into our data. Finally, we also learn how to make forecasts that say intelligent things about what we might expect in the future. Please take a few minutes to explore the course site. You will find video lectures with supporting written materials as well as quizzes to help emphasize important points. The language for the course is R, a free implementation of the S language. It is a professional environment and fairly easy to learn. You can discuss material from the course with your fellow learners. Please take a moment to introduce yourself! Time Series Analysis can take effort to learn- we have tried to present those ideas that are "mission critical" in a way where you understand enough of the math to fell satisfied while also being immediately productive. We hope you enjoy the class!...

JM

Mar 21, 2019

This was a very good and detailed course. I liked this course for two reasons mainly:\n\nIt started from the basics of timeseries analysis, covering theory and secondly it took me gradually to r.

LY

Aug 03, 2019

A nice course which is practical as the name said, it balanced the portion of theories and practices. I used to not familiar with this topic, but now I consider myself much more familiar.

76 - 100 of 181 Reviews for Practical Time Series Analysis

By Andreas G

Apr 01, 2018

Very nicely organized course, the lecturers achieved a good balane between theory and practice.

By Alex N

Jan 21, 2018

It fits perfectly its purpose!

By Philippe

Jul 16, 2018

A very comprehensive course that covers both the mathematical proofs and statistics and applying it together on data.

By Umang G

May 02, 2019

Learning a lot about basics of time series forecasting models like SARIMA, thanks a lot.

By HEF

Apr 28, 2019

The course structure is well organized from basic statistics to more advanced materials. I used to hate reading but in this course I found the reading materials quite pleasant and interesting. Only light coding involved so I guess people without coding experience would find it friendly as well. Both theoretical and applied aspects were discussed in details, and I got to know many valuable sources of finding interesting time series datasets. In summary, a really great course one must take a try!

By Raymond P

Apr 01, 2019

Great course. It's much better than my professor's lectures

By Cesar N

Mar 24, 2019

Very useful and practical course. Absolutely recommendable.

By Aikaterini L

Mar 26, 2019

Very helpful practical easy exercises to get to know better the Time series and their analysis. I totally recommend it.

By William G

Mar 29, 2019

This course is great. It is the best that I have tried on the web. Clearly explained and the math is fair to understand the topics and be able to get the ideas clear. Even the code for R is a great way to learn!

By Indresh T

Apr 12, 2019

Course is really good to know the in depth understanding of the various models working around for the time series analysis.

By Murali

Mar 30, 2019

very good explanation. specifically about ACF and PACF.

Thanks!

By sanboz

Jun 06, 2019

Excellent course, with practical examples and good explanation

By EDILSON S S O J

Jun 06, 2019

Amazing Course!

By P k

Jun 10, 2019

It's very good for beginners.i highly recommended it.

By Henrique R G

Jun 17, 2019

Thanks for the opportunity, it was an excellent course, it helped me a lot.

By Burak H

Jul 01, 2019

This is a great introduction to time series analysis. The class is easy to follow and the lecture notes are well prepared. In my opinion, it could have been better if some more mathematical details were presented (maybe as extra ungraded material).

By Abhijith S

Jul 04, 2019

This is the best course for beginning time series analysis. ACF and PACF were explained very well. I highly recommend this course.

By Rashid P

Jul 09, 2019

very useful course

Jul 12, 2019

I hope the lecturers could provide more advanced classes.

By Luis C W

Jul 14, 2019

This was a good introduction to time series analysis. The lessons were easy to follow without much difficulty. In my opinion, it could have been better if more practical examples were given.

By Chunhui G

Jul 15, 2019

The course is very good for an introduction to time series. Few drawbacks are listed.

1. The theory behind double and triple exponential forecast are not given in the materials.

2. Some datasets are not available anymore in the Datamarket website anymore, needed to be fixed.

3. The forecast module in week 6 is kind of wired. Need more lecture to talk about what's the difference between smooth forecast and SARIMA model prediction.

By Dieter M

Jul 28, 2019

Lots of theory, but very well-founded, and very practice-oriented at the end.

By Jonathan

Aug 02, 2019

This is a good class. Well composed, and covers the material in a reasonable manner. Overall the best points of the class were Professor Thistleton's readings, which were very well put together and did a nice job of developing concepts. If you push yourself to follow along with them you'll develop a very sound conceptual basis about the material. Likewise, Prof. Sadigov's exercises with his notebooks were also useful, but his notes not so much.

If the class has some weak spots it's that, like a lot of classes on Coursera, the amount of time you have to spend to pass the class can be quite small if you just want to cruise and finish the course. Also, even though it's called "Practical Time Series Analysis", the majority of the material is quite conceptual. This class is a lightweight attempt to expose you to the material you'd cover if you studied it in college, but it does not just dig in and show you how to start hacking away at models. You'll need to practice a lot more on your own to develop yourself as a practitioner.

By LAI H Y

Aug 03, 2019

By Zhexuan Z

Aug 14, 2019

Really good course to get to the fundamental concepts of AR, MA, ARIMA, SARIMA process, and basic concept like stationary. A few more areas that I wish the class could cover, including 1) stationary tests like ADF, KPSS, etc 2) regression against time series variables and how to treat/transform these variables before running regression model