Back to Practical Time Series Analysis

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Practical Time Series Analysis by The State University of New York

Welcome to Practical Time Series Analysis! Many of us are "accidental" data analysts. We trained in the sciences, business, or engineering and then found ourselves confronted with data for which we have no formal analytic training. This course is designed for people with some technical competencies who would like more than a "cookbook" approach, but who still need to concentrate on the routine sorts of presentation and analysis that deepen the understanding of our professional topics. In practical Time Series Analysis we look at data sets that represent sequential information, such as stock prices, annual rainfall, sunspot activity, the price of agricultural products, and more. We look at several mathematical models that might be used to describe the processes which generate these types of data. We also look at graphical representations that provide insights into our data. Finally, we also learn how to make forecasts that say intelligent things about what we might expect in the future. Please take a few minutes to explore the course site. You will find video lectures with supporting written materials as well as quizzes to help emphasize important points. The language for the course is R, a free implementation of the S language. It is a professional environment and fairly easy to learn. You can discuss material from the course with your fellow learners. Please take a moment to introduce yourself! Time Series Analysis can take effort to learn- we have tried to present those ideas that are "mission critical" in a way where you understand enough of the math to fell satisfied while also being immediately productive. We hope you enjoy the class!...

JM

Mar 21, 2019

This was a very good and detailed course. I liked this course for two reasons mainly:\n\nIt started from the basics of timeseries analysis, covering theory and secondly it took me gradually to r.

LY

Aug 03, 2019

A nice course which is practical as the name said, it balanced the portion of theories and practices. I used to not familiar with this topic, but now I consider myself much more familiar.

101 - 125 of 178 Reviews for Practical Time Series Analysis

By Abhijith S

Jul 04, 2019

This is the best course for beginning time series analysis. ACF and PACF were explained very well. I highly recommend this course.

By Rashid P

Jul 09, 2019

very useful course

By Burak H

Jul 01, 2019

This is a great introduction to time series analysis. The class is easy to follow and the lecture notes are well prepared. In my opinion, it could have been better if some more mathematical details were presented (maybe as extra ungraded material).

By Luis C W

Jul 14, 2019

This was a good introduction to time series analysis. The lessons were easy to follow without much difficulty. In my opinion, it could have been better if more practical examples were given.

Jul 12, 2019

I hope the lecturers could provide more advanced classes.

By Chunhui G

Jul 15, 2019

The course is very good for an introduction to time series. Few drawbacks are listed.

1. The theory behind double and triple exponential forecast are not given in the materials.

2. Some datasets are not available anymore in the Datamarket website anymore, needed to be fixed.

3. The forecast module in week 6 is kind of wired. Need more lecture to talk about what's the difference between smooth forecast and SARIMA model prediction.

By Aishwarya A

Sep 10, 2019

I loved the simple yet intuitive mathematical concepts that accompanied each lecture. Could have included a capstone project.

By P k

Jun 10, 2019

It's very good for beginners.i highly recommended it.

By 20e

Jun 15, 2019

great! I like this course! I will farther my study in this area.

By Maxim V

Sep 21, 2019

This course is a perfect complement to Rob Hyndman's book!

By OMOSALEWA M A

Sep 28, 2019

Great course indeed

By chundarathil a

Oct 19, 2019

Amazing course structure with apt information required.

By Ashok B

Sep 30, 2019

Very useful course to establish the core fundamentals of time series data - which is very prevalent in real life. Instructors are really great and the quizzes are very well designed to reinforce the concepts.

By Lucia

Oct 21, 2019

Pretty good! I enjoy the course very much.

By Juan A E G

Oct 10, 2019

Excellent course for having basic knowledge for time series analysis.

By Zhihua Z

Oct 13, 2019

This course is very helpful with making all concepts and applications clear. Two professors explain each topics very clearly!

By Tess P

Oct 14, 2019

Love this course. Great theories and practical examples. Strongly recommended.

By Al A M

Nov 26, 2018

Good! but Theoretical terms were little bit boring & confusing.

By Jerry H

Jan 11, 2019

The course met my expectations, which was to develop basic skills and tools to better understand time series as a jumping off point for some of the work I am doing. I found the practical examples (e.g. coding of the solutions) to be most helpful for my learning style. Also appreciate concept development thrust, to help better understand the applicability and pitfalls of the tools. That being said, I didn't particularly find some of the mathematical derivations helpful, given my bent toward the practical application of the tools and concepts.

By prateek g

Jan 01, 2019

Great content

By Prem P

Jan 02, 2019

This is a great course for introduction to practical time series analysis. This course will get you started on conceptual and hands on level (using R code).

By Udit G

Mar 02, 2019

Good, but can be more extensive.

By Yash G

Mar 25, 2019

Amazing course

By 李欣儒

Feb 02, 2019

some mistakes in the handout, but still learn lots of useful knowledge and skill from this class.