Back to Introduction to Probability and Data with R

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Probability and Data with R by Duke University

This course introduces you to sampling and exploring data, as well as basic probability theory and Bayes' rule. You will examine various types of sampling methods, and discuss how such methods can impact the scope of inference. A variety of exploratory data analysis techniques will be covered, including numeric summary statistics and basic data visualization. You will be guided through installing and using R and RStudio (free statistical software), and will use this software for lab exercises and a final project. The concepts and techniques in this course will serve as building blocks for the inference and modeling courses in the Specialization....

AA
Jan 23, 2018

This course literally taught me a lot, the concepts were beautifully explained but the way it was delivered and overall exercises and the difficulty of problems made it more challenging and enjoying.

HD
Mar 30, 2018

The tutor makes it really simple. The given examples really helped to understand the concepts and apply it to a wide range of problems. Thank you for this. Wish I could complete the assignments too.

801 - 825 of 1,055 Reviews for Introduction to Probability and Data with R

By Aparna P

Jun 4, 2020

The course is well designed and organized. I felt like I left having a clear understanding of basic statistical concepts and their applications to data, and what kind of questions one can ask of large datasets.

The only aspect I'd say that could be improved is to provide more comprehensive R skills that help students better prepare for the final assignment - At least for me, who has never used a programming language before, it was a huge challenge, and I had to look up a lot of additional resources to begin to grasp how to use R to approach the data.

By Mikkel R

Feb 13, 2019

Offers a good introduction to probability as promised. Great material, you can really tell that the teachers have made an effort making the content presentable.

The only thing I did miss however, was a lecture introducing coding in R especially since that is what makes up most of the time in doing the peer-reviewed assignment. Nothing fancy, just a single lecture introducing the logic behind the dplyr and ggplot2 packages would have been ever so helpful and could have been covered in less than 30 minutes.

Thanks for a good course!

By Mailei V

Apr 7, 2017

The stats info and exercises were helpful for learning stats/probability. The labs were somewhat helpful, but did NOT prepare you for the project at the end of the course. Prerequisites say not necessary to know R coding, but I REALLY struggled getting through the assignment in a timely manner and eventually wasn't happy with what I had to submit to make the deadline. I highly recommend taking a few courses in R in DataCamp or watching videos about R Studio (dplyr and tidyr) before attempting the labs and project.

By Jack M

Nov 2, 2017

This course is a solid introduction to conducting statistical analysis using the software R. The video and reading materials are clear and informative, and ideal for those with little to no familiarity with the theory behind probability and statistics. Outside of the weekly assignments, there is relatively less exposure and direct instruction for operating R, but I was able to make use of guides and forums in the coursera page to teach myself about R commands and codes as I navigated the provided datasets.

By Gregory G

May 5, 2020

Excellent lectures. Final project requires at least an advanced-beginner knowledge of R, especially of dplyr and ggplot2 packages. Not sure that's clear from the description. I came in having taken a short Intro to R course -- I'd have been overwhelmed by the data analysis project had I not. I relied on numerous YouTube R tutorials to get it done (thank goodness for the generosity of the R community!) and ended up really pushing myself. The instructor is a star. Many thanks if she's reading this!

By Joshua W

May 4, 2020

Overall, I recommend this course. It has the right balance of instructed work and explorative work (when it comes to the lab work). I would have wanted the probability calculations to have been more closely tied to the R programming in the lessons. That being said, I have no prior experience with R and I come from a humanist academic background, and I found the course material instructive enough to help me learn how to code with R and do basic probability mathematics.

By Shawn G

Oct 9, 2016

Great videos and testing structure. Great feedback to all of my questions in the forums too. 7 hours a week seems about right for me, with the recommended reading and watching the videos. However the course got continually harder and harder and by the time I was at the final exam I was really worried. In the end it got a bit difficult and stressful but I do feel it was valuable, and like I said, getting the feedback, even on weekends in the forums, helped a lot.

By Chris S

Jun 27, 2016

The content of this course is not terribly difficult, I thought, but it's a very good introduction into most aspects of Data Science. You learn to familiarize yourself with R quite well and get a lot of independence to create a final project based on a huge data set. One thing I would've liked is a sample completed project, start to finish, to see what was expected- the things that got produced (which you peer review) varied hugely in quality.

By Alfred Z

Sep 8, 2020

As a non-stats brain, overall really good introduction to stats.

The final project for this course seems pretty difficult and is a huge difficulty jump from previous weeks. It requires a good grasp of manipulating data with R and plotting. Regardless I found it very satisfying to complete. The final project is a bit frustrating, as the people peer-reviewing my project didn't put any effort into it. I was hoping to find some critical feedback.

By Tom B

Jan 16, 2018

Great introduction/review of basic stats concepts. I think the course designers assume a knowledge of/familiarity with R beyond what they claim in the Course Description. The weekly labs were somewhat helpful, but could benefit from providing the students with a bit more instruction on the functions of R. The learning curve during the Week 5 project was a little steep for a complete novice like me, but overall I found this course worthwhile.

By Alycia K

Mar 11, 2018

I had to drop this course because I had too many other things on my plate, but hope to enroll again another time. I thought the course was well structured, with very good examples, or explanations, of experiment design. Thanks to the instructors for providing free access to external materials. I thoroughly enjoyed what I was learning. Currently, the only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because of the trouble I kept having with R Studio.

By A W

Aug 24, 2016

The course videos are good, but the R programming is not well explained. I've enrolled in other Coursera courses that use R, Python or Octave, and they all provide clear demo videos for beginners to get up to standard with the code. This course doesn't do that so it's not a good intro to R, which is a shame because working in statistics these days is all about using R and similar tools so there should be a stronger emphasis on that.

By Samuel P

Jul 21, 2020

Overall, I think the lessons, the lectures and exercises were presented in a very clean and effective way. Unfortunately, the research project was a real leap in terms of cleaning data and working within R. I did not feel that exercises adequately prepared one for the final project. I think this either needs to be scaled back or there needs to be far more discussion and practice with handing R data before the project.

By Ihor F

Dec 28, 2016

Presentation of the content, course slides and labs are best from what I've seen on Coursera. The only downside was that to my feeling the final project and the course content are somehow disconnected. The course itself deals with introduction to probability, while final project is EDA. I don't think there was enough materials on EDA in the course, so the final project took more effort and was confusing at first.

By Laura P A M

Jun 9, 2020

Me gustó mucho el curso y siento que aprendí bastante sobre cómo hacer visualizaciones con R.

Sin embargo recomiendo que para el proyecto enseñen un poco mejor cómo transformar el archivo Rmd en HTLM.

I really liked the course and I feel like I learned a lot about how to make visualizations with R.

However I recommend that for the project they teach a little better how to transform the Rmd file into HTLM.

By Sina S H

Oct 5, 2020

I enjoyed the course very much and found its implementation very clear. The intermediate questions and the quizzes helped to solidify the learning content. Dr. Mine Çetinkaya-Rundel is very sympathetic and it' s easy to follow her explanations. The final assignment, however, was relatively difficult and definitely took more time than was indicated. All in all, I would recommend the course.

Jun 26, 2017

Really good foundation course for those who aren't familiar to statistics and gives out great resources to learn or refresh some material. For the assignments, I like how they give an option of either doing it from the DataCamp website or RStudio. I wish there was somewhat a better way of understanding the R libraries in the assignment, but I just don't know what. Overall, I love it.

By Kanchan K

Jun 30, 2017

This course enables one to start right from basics and develop strong fundamentals in exploratory data analysis. One thing that could be improved is providing for more "R programming" commands or reference materials which can be used by the learner to gather more variations of the commands used in that section and thereby improve code and formatting of plots/graphs.

By Bryan L

Jan 7, 2020

This is a useful statistical course for anyone who seeks to gain a basic understanding of probability. The R coding assignments are especially useful but one could benefit more if they already knew how certain functions works in R. The dplyr package is especially emphasized and I suggests going to Youtube to know the main functions that are used for data wrangling.

By Ziyue L

Aug 4, 2020

It is a good introductory level course and I appreciate the instructor's hard work. Two suggestions though. It would be more convenient for us, if you could compress all the lecture slides into one or four files. Besides, peer reviewed project was less unsatisfied. I would prefer to receive grades and comments from the lecturer or mentors, even if pay for it.

By Christopher T

Aug 20, 2016

Solid and efficient introduction to content, does not do enough teaching in R for the final project - which is *fine* because finding things out for yourself is the best way to learn, but R help online is often so dense that it's not that helpful to a beginner. More responsive mentors - especially nearer the end of the course - would be really helpful.

By Robert W

Oct 5, 2019

This course is a very good introduction to statistics. The lectures are well paced and engaging. The reading materials augment the lectures nicely by providing more details and workable exercises. There is a new edition of the reference book and the lecture material has not been updated to match the new edition, but the previous editions are available.

By ahmed i a e r

Sep 18, 2017

Very good course on Statistics with application in the R programming language ,a great intro for anyone who want to understand statistical concepts used in research , data science.

Although the course require no background in R , I would advise to take an introduction in R programming before hand in order to be able to finish the final project easily .

By Ashley T

Sep 17, 2019

In my opinion, the final assignment could have been more effectively and meaningfully answered if students have had prior knowledge in data wrangling/ cleaning in R. I don't think this information was made known throughout the course. Otherwise, this course provided a good overview on the fundamentals of basic statistical visualisation and analysis!

By Khaleel O

Dec 19, 2017

The course content, resources and teaching were very good but the course is much more demanding than advertised. The course was advertised for Beginners but in truth it is much more for students of Intermediate Skill and Experience. As a working adult I would have preferred more realistic, expected completion timelines for the tasks.