Back to Introduction to Probability and Data with R

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Probability and Data with R by Duke University

This course introduces you to sampling and exploring data, as well as basic probability theory and Bayes' rule. You will examine various types of sampling methods, and discuss how such methods can impact the scope of inference. A variety of exploratory data analysis techniques will be covered, including numeric summary statistics and basic data visualization. You will be guided through installing and using R and RStudio (free statistical software), and will use this software for lab exercises and a final project. The concepts and techniques in this course will serve as building blocks for the inference and modeling courses in the Specialization....

AA
Jan 23, 2018

This course literally taught me a lot, the concepts were beautifully explained but the way it was delivered and overall exercises and the difficulty of problems made it more challenging and enjoying.

HD
Mar 30, 2018

The tutor makes it really simple. The given examples really helped to understand the concepts and apply it to a wide range of problems. Thank you for this. Wish I could complete the assignments too.

826 - 850 of 1,051 Reviews for Introduction to Probability and Data with R

By Justina N

Aug 2, 2020

I learned a lot of this i should have known during earlier statistics courses. The founding knowledge is well laid out and structured. The pace made me feel both fully in control and slightly out of depth at the same time. This made it an interesting course that made me race through it (in a positive way).

By Anne E

Aug 13, 2018

Good overview. My only misunderstanding was about the Markdown document that wasn't functional until I changed the format (bottom right in the source, as R Markdown) and the "knitting" that I still haven't figured out. Otherwise very clear, and lots of great examples to illustrate and fix the knowledge.

By Tomasz J

May 26, 2017

Very good introduction to statistics, even for those already forgot maths.

Do not take this course as introduction to R. The course does not explain basics of R (e.g. lists vs vectors, data_frame vs data.frame). I'd suggest anyone to take an introduction to R first or simultaneously with this course.

By Eddie A

Aug 17, 2020

This is a nice intro with some good lectures. My only criticism is that the estimated reading times and the estimated time for the week 5 projects were way off, for me at least. I suspect that, if you're starting from scratch at stats, they will be way off for you as well.

By Jorge F M

Aug 21, 2020

I would separate my feedback en two ways. First, I think is a good basics statistics course. but second, I feel is a bit weak in R topics. Its mean, it does not prepare you well for the last project. It could be stongest in R codes, plots, etc. througth the first 4 weeks.

By Jennifer E

Oct 5, 2020

i learned a lot, teacher explains very very well, but honestly i would not mind if there was a little more help with Rstudio, before this course i had never use the programme and that was a little bit hard for me, i had to see lots of extra videos to learn a little more.

By 闫龙

Aug 27, 2018

In general , I think this course is very useful and is well designed, I've learned a lot from it.

However, I think it would be better if students are provided with video lesson about Rstudio , it will help to understand R programming especially for the beginner.

By Bruno D G

Jan 10, 2019

Very clear and well presented course. Best course in stats I had in my life. I removed one star as the time suggested for studying and doing the assignment is well over what is suggested in the course. Make sure that you have plenty of time in front of you :o)

By Felix H

Sep 21, 2017

Concise introduction to the field, easy to grasp and hands-on. A bit shallow on the theoretical side (optional material would be nice), you just learn what you need and no more. Practical assignments are well designed and give you a great introduction to R.

By Liew H P

Sep 18, 2017

I had some statistics background in my undergraduate training. While my primary focus of taking this course was learning R, I manage to learn some new things too. Through the course, I was able to learn very basic codes and would love to continue to do so.

By Marta C

Oct 9, 2018

The materials and lectures were very good and detailed regarding probabilities and data. I felt the difficulty of the final project (in particular with regards to the R component) was not adequate for a beginners course and it required a lot of research.

By Subodh R

Aug 22, 2018

A perfect course for the introduction to the world of Statistics. I will try to improve upon the review with my further studies and try to look at anything that you might have missed but so far it looks like this course covers all the bases.

By Tibor R

Jan 29, 2018

The theoretical and practical part is very good, but in the project there are a lot of practical question to confront basically alone, without the needed help. The things were functioning in an unknown way... It was hard - at least to me.

By Nilesh W

Sep 5, 2019

Great self-paced course along with good reason material. The project assignment needed a lot more than the 2.5 odd hours that were estimated. Give yourself more time for the assignment and practice the RStudio assignments in earnest.

By Francesca C

Nov 3, 2020

The course is well structured, and the Professor is really good in explaining also complex topics. I had only some difficulties with the final project in R since I thought that more basic information were provided to the students

By Ian R

Jul 26, 2016

While the final project was a little unclear in terms of its parameters and there were several small file problems, this was overall a very well constructed course, especially in terms of its content before the final project.

By Sabrina R

Mar 1, 2020

Solid course! You will have to do work outside of what is provided to learn R if you don't have programming knowledge prior. HOWEVER, the final project is when you will really learn how to use the software - learn by doing!

By Devon N C

Course was great, except for the final project which takes much longer to complete than it says, and requires a lot of outside research on how to use R to be able to finish. Other than that very informative and affordable!

By Steve W

Apr 8, 2017

It takes many more hours to complete the work than the estimates provided. For example the final project took me about nine hours, versus the 2.5 hours listed.

Still, a well-rounded course and it has already proven useful.

By María J O

Jun 7, 2016

The content is very well structured, the explanations are clear and full of useful examples. Some concepts were a bit difficult to grasp and required reviewing outside the material of the course. In general, excellent.

By Mario S V

Apr 17, 2018

It should go deeper in teaching R and how the logic on coding works. Moreover, it should teach how to learn and apply new codes, since the final project demands more coding than what was in previous lessons.

By Natalie R

Apr 24, 2019

The concepts are taught very clearly and thoroughly, but they leave you hanging out to dry a bit with R. R is not an easy program and they could do a little more hand holding in this *Introductory* course.

By eugenie p

Aug 10, 2016

If you have prior knowledge of R, then this course will help to brush up your statistics. The pacing of the material is very good. The examples used are relevant and interesting. Great course in general.

By Tay Y C

Sep 25, 2020

Good basic course in probability and R! Lectures were really clear and with good examples. I only wish there were more teaching on R coding, as it was a big leap from the R tutorials to the final project.

By Ethan C

Jun 11, 2020

Great coverage of basic statistics and R. Lots of room to experiment and fairly responsive forum boards. Main way to improve is to somehow allow for more discussion between classmates as well as mentors.