Back to Introduction to Probability and Data with R

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Probability and Data with R by Duke University

This course introduces you to sampling and exploring data, as well as basic probability theory and Bayes' rule. You will examine various types of sampling methods, and discuss how such methods can impact the scope of inference. A variety of exploratory data analysis techniques will be covered, including numeric summary statistics and basic data visualization. You will be guided through installing and using R and RStudio (free statistical software), and will use this software for lab exercises and a final project. The concepts and techniques in this course will serve as building blocks for the inference and modeling courses in the Specialization....

AA

Jan 24, 2018

This course literally taught me a lot, the concepts were beautifully explained but the way it was delivered and overall exercises and the difficulty of problems made it more challenging and enjoying.

BB

Sep 04, 2019

Very clearly explained and the pace is awesome! I really enjoy each deadline and l can already see how it is impacting my day to day work and life. I ook forward to completing the course! Thank you.

901 - 925 of 957 Reviews for Introduction to Probability and Data with R

By Yevgeniy G

Nov 20, 2016

Slow down. Introduce more R before asking to create projects in R. Only because I know other programming language was I able to finish week 5. Also very strong group of mentors... God bless you mentors!

Disconnect between course objectives and programming assignments / labs. Reading book you learn one thing, watching lectures another and then unrelated labs, which then culminate in something totally different during week 5?

By Omer N

Aug 28, 2017

The lectures are relatively good, though not of consistent quality. Some material is explained very welland some in a bit of a disorganized fashion. The assignments require a level of R knowledge which is neither taught directly nor stated as a prerequisite. For those familiar with cleaning and exploring data with R (ggplot2 and dplyr especially are important packages) this is an excellent course.

By Nikoleta K

May 13, 2018

It is a fine point to start for a beginner and you do learn the statistics part of the course in a constructive way, but I believe when it comes to learning R it is lacking. You get to learn coding, but not enough as in to be able to apply it in different sort of research! The teaching provided for R is limited and situational, and this is not because it is the introductory course.

By Noah W

Jun 19, 2019

Overall I learned a lot in this course, although that comes with a caveat. Some of the more difficult content was breezed over, and I found myself searching outside the coursework to get a better explanation (particularly with probability and most of the R tools.) That being said, if this course is useful as a series of benchmarks to guide you with your own research.

By Dhruvin S

Jun 27, 2020

The statistical portion is one of the bests and the professors makes the understanding very easy with numerous examples; however, if you are planning to learn anything about R in this course, then it not for you. The portion dealing with R is highly vaguely explained, which makes it very difficult and frustrating while doing the quizzes; so enroll accordingly.

By Nathan P

Jul 30, 2016

I took this course hoping for a fundamental education in utilizing R for statistical analysis. Unfortunately, this course focuses heavily on statistical methods and very little on explaining the R processes used. Good for introductory stats students, not great for those interested in furthering their knowledge of R.

By Peter C

Oct 18, 2018

I thought the lectures were a very helpful re-introduction to statistics but felt very disconnected from the assignments in rstudio. I felt lost when I got to the final project. I would recommend incorporating rstudio into the lecture so the students can follow along and practice writing r scripts.

By Mallory W

Oct 08, 2018

I really liked it! Some basic R mechanics were undertaught and I'm very lucky that my data scientist brother volunteered an hour of his time to catch me up. However, I can say that this course genuinely held my interest all the way through with authentic examples and challenging exercises.

By Ryan L K H

It does introduce students to probability very well. But the R learning was very limited to simply following instructions in a file, with little in the way of explaining R or what R commands do. Very limited bridge between the probability and stats part of the course and the R part.

By Michèle O

I think the first 4 weeks of the cours were quite easy, and the last week, week 5 was quite hard, and did not really match the first four weeks. It would be good if a little more information was given in the first four weeks about EDA's and other parts of the project.

By Ernest R

May 14, 2016

The course is OK, but in my opinion the price 69€ is higher for the material you learn.

Lower price probably more people take the course paying

Also is a pitty that people we do not want to pay, we could not have a final assignement.

By Jerome T

May 20, 2019

The course is very basic, so it is good for an introduction. Quizzes are simple but the final project takes a lot of time. Why should we have to answer three research questions? Two would be sufficient.

By Himanshu S

Aug 04, 2019

Could be improved by providing better tutorials to use R, provide guidelines to use Rstudio desktop as Rstudio Cloud is quite slow and crashes (it crashed 100s of times on loading brfssdata).

By Sarah W

Oct 20, 2017

well thought out and delivered course, but I would have preferred that it dig in more into the topics. Not necessarily more topics, but deeper treatment of the topics that were covered

By Georgina V

Dec 19, 2018

El temario es muy interesante, falta contenido que acompañe: hay varios saltos donde pasas de la introducción del tema a cuestiones complejas del mismo sin explicaciones en el medio.

By Alvaro G

Apr 29, 2020

Some parts of the course are given too superficially. R is required, but the instruction given is not at the level of the required project even though it is a class for beginners.

By Leslie Y

Jul 29, 2017

video lectures were good but the final project at the end was too loosely structured, and depended on you to go learn many features of ggplot on your own

By Krzysztof P

Apr 22, 2018

Nice, but missing a lot of features for those who selected Audit Track. Due to missing excercises, the course without quizes is of very limited value.

By Guillermo C P

Jul 16, 2020

Final Lab project demands far more knowledge of R tool that was taught during the course, it will be really difficult for me to comply with it.

By am

May 16, 2016

Nice course.

But the week 5 project is a little vague. It would be beter if we had a lab assignment instead.

By Khoi M T

Oct 19, 2018

I found using Datacamp for assignment is confusing. Instruction is not very clear

By Yarden B

Mar 02, 2020

Interesting course but I had a lot of difficulty with the final project.

By Isaac W

Feb 08, 2018

A good introduction to some basic stats, a mediocre introduction to R

By AKSHAY C

Dec 01, 2018

The final project should have an instructional video.

By Mark N

Jul 26, 2018

stats instruction is good but the R part is weak