Back to Introduction to Probability and Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Probability and Data by Duke University

This course introduces you to sampling and exploring data, as well as basic probability theory and Bayes' rule. You will examine various types of sampling methods, and discuss how such methods can impact the scope of inference. A variety of exploratory data analysis techniques will be covered, including numeric summary statistics and basic data visualization. You will be guided through installing and using R and RStudio (free statistical software), and will use this software for lab exercises and a final project. The concepts and techniques in this course will serve as building blocks for the inference and modeling courses in the Specialization....

AA

Jan 24, 2018

This course literally taught me a lot, the concepts were beautifully explained but the way it was delivered and overall exercises and the difficulty of problems made it more challenging and enjoying.

BB

Sep 04, 2019

Very clearly explained and the pace is awesome! I really enjoy each deadline and l can already see how it is impacting my day to day work and life. I ook forward to completing the course! Thank you.

726 - 750 of 760 Reviews for Introduction to Probability and Data

By Nathan P

Jul 30, 2016

I took this course hoping for a fundamental education in utilizing R for statistical analysis. Unfortunately, this course focuses heavily on statistical methods and very little on explaining the R processes used. Good for introductory stats students, not great for those interested in furthering their knowledge of R.

By Peter C

Oct 18, 2018

I thought the lectures were a very helpful re-introduction to statistics but felt very disconnected from the assignments in rstudio. I felt lost when I got to the final project. I would recommend incorporating rstudio into the lecture so the students can follow along and practice writing r scripts.

By Mallory W

Oct 08, 2018

I really liked it! Some basic R mechanics were undertaught and I'm very lucky that my data scientist brother volunteered an hour of his time to catch me up. However, I can say that this course genuinely held my interest all the way through with authentic examples and challenging exercises.

By Ernest R

May 14, 2016

The course is OK, but in my opinion the price 69€ is higher for the material you learn.

Lower price probably more people take the course paying

Also is a pitty that people we do not want to pay, we could not have a final assignement.

By Jerome T

May 20, 2019

The course is very basic, so it is good for an introduction. Quizzes are simple but the final project takes a lot of time. Why should we have to answer three research questions? Two would be sufficient.

By Himanshu S

Aug 04, 2019

Could be improved by providing better tutorials to use R, provide guidelines to use Rstudio desktop as Rstudio Cloud is quite slow and crashes (it crashed 100s of times on loading brfssdata).

By Sarah W

Oct 20, 2017

well thought out and delivered course, but I would have preferred that it dig in more into the topics. Not necessarily more topics, but deeper treatment of the topics that were covered

By Georgina V

Dec 19, 2018

El temario es muy interesante, falta contenido que acompañe: hay varios saltos donde pasas de la introducción del tema a cuestiones complejas del mismo sin explicaciones en el medio.

By Leslie Y

Jul 29, 2017

video lectures were good but the final project at the end was too loosely structured, and depended on you to go learn many features of ggplot on your own

By Krzysztof P

Apr 22, 2018

Nice, but missing a lot of features for those who selected Audit Track. Due to missing excercises, the course without quizes is of very limited value.

By am

May 16, 2016

Nice course.

But the week 5 project is a little vague. It would be beter if we had a lab assignment instead.

By Khoi M T

Oct 19, 2018

I found using Datacamp for assignment is confusing. Instruction is not very clear

By Isaac W

Feb 08, 2018

A good introduction to some basic stats, a mediocre introduction to R

By AKSHAY C

Dec 01, 2018

The final project should have an instructional video.

By Mark N

Jul 26, 2018

stats instruction is good but the R part is weak

By Rianne d B

Jun 26, 2017

I felt like I didn't have enough skills in R.

By Tales S N

Mar 18, 2019

disappointing final test

By Rahul K G

Jun 22, 2017

Good for a beginner.

By Jamison T

Jun 21, 2018

Content is not bad. However, peer review system for final project is not great. I had to wait for other students to review mine and wait for other students to submit theirs. How long this is takes is largely dependent on how many students are currently taking the course (which was not enough and so I had to wait). This kind of system for marking should not be done for online courses where you cannot guarantee there are enough users always taking it at the same time. Especially when there are paying users that may have to pay an extra month whilst waiting.

By Laura L M

Jun 07, 2019

regular course content was fine for a refresher. what I really wanted was the intro to R. the lab, however, was the WORST. I ended up going to YouTube to figure out half the stuff I needed to do. Why am I paying for that? I was really poorly done.

By Hsueh-han W

Sep 14, 2019

Statistics part is fair enough, but R part is absolutely not.

Giving the document of R does not mean teach you. You even have to make a difficult R project in the end of the course, but without any tutorial or example to make so.

By Saishwar T S

Mar 28, 2018

Suffered a lot of difficulties with the various material provided as they contain a lot of problems. Data does not load properly for labs, errors in code etc.

By Sailaja M

Aug 28, 2017

I think that the teaching and tutorials in R should have been included instead of letting the student figure out all the R coding.

By Aaron D

Jul 17, 2017

Mediocre. Not much in the way of help for using R

By Darrell W