Back to Introduction to Python Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Python Programming by University of Pennsylvania

3.8

This course provides an introduction to programming and the Python language. Students are introduced to core programming concepts like data structures, conditionals, loops, variables, and functions. This course includes an overview of the various tools available for writing and running Python, and gets students coding quickly. It also provides hands-on coding exercises using commonly used data structures, writing custom functions, and reading and writing to files. This course may be more robust than some other introductory python courses, as it delves deeper into certain essential programming topics....

JG
Feb 22, 2021

Super great course. However, graded assignments requiere better information regarding how to present the results and the response time form TA's is extremely long, if they ever respond

BL
Feb 11, 2021

I can't wait to enroll for the 100% online master at Penn U. The instructor in this course has shown a great value of this introduction to python programming.

1 - 20 of 20 Reviews for Introduction to Python Programming

By Alireza R

Feb 11, 2021

good slides, good explanation, and very clear. But the actual and biggest problem is that the examples are not as complex as assessments, the 4th assessment was a real disaster, too hard and you must expend much more time than the suggested time by default.

the questions in assessments are not very clear, you must work very hard to understand what the question wants and actually not mentioned in subcells. again; this is very obvious in the 4th assessment.

By Michael S

Jan 18, 2021

I am considering dropping the course and switching to Udacity. One simple reason: absolutely no feedback on any homework assignment, except a public chat room with an occasional hit-and-miss response by a teaching assistant. Teaching assistants cannot review code, so, if you have a specific question or are stuck - you are out of luck... you'll have to help yourself. Even if your code works and does what is assigned, auto-grader can give you '0' because of the 'how'/method you use. No way to know how to correct because ... go to the beginning of my review. Assignments are not based on video lectures or course notes - I had to research a ton online to get close to what I was supposed to do. Again, no support, no Q&A, no explanations. Black box.

By Rafaël J F

Dec 20, 2020

Really bad course. I had to cancel my subscription because of this course because they didn't explained you anything in any detail. I DO NOT recommend it

By Michael L

Jan 21, 2021

Really great final "exam" question, as I learned a lot. However, only 4 out of 5 stars because the final exam is SO MUCH HARDER than the rest of the course, that it catches a lot of people unprepared. I suppose this might be all right for an online course, but just a flag for people wanting to take the course: be prepared to take it seriously, or the ending will be hard. :)

By An T

Jan 20, 2021

I'm glad that I decided to pay for this course. The assignments were practical and covered all the content in the lectures thoroughly. The assignments and quizzes were good opportunities to review what you've learned. The level of difficulty of the assignments increase overtime. Still, I hope that there will be instructions included on how to read errors in test cells and good debugging practices. The last assignment was especially challenging as I don't know how to properly run the program in PyCharm and test my results. The errors in the test cells were difficult to help me understand where I did wrong. And replies from staff in the discussion forum are relatively slow so it wasn't very helpful.

By Jessica H

Dec 14, 2020

If I had never taken an introductory course on Python before, I would find this course very frustrating. There is a lack of "why" things are the way they are and there are certain formats used in code along exercises that were never previous taught. The tests are also a bit difficult to grasp because there was no example given as to how take them. It's a bit of a plug and lay, but it's note innately obvious. It is a manageable course otherwise.

By kelly m

Jan 24, 2021

This is not organized well. It is not a beginners course

By Jose G R G

Feb 23, 2021

By Wong M K

Feb 6, 2021

This is an interesting course. The instructor introduced the content in a simple and clear way. However, the main problem was the huge difficulty of the last assignment. It was hard for a beginner like me that the instructions were not clear. It is normal to spend you a few hours to do that.

By Anna C

Jan 21, 2021

As someone with a background in Economics and with experience with STATA I found this to be a helpful introduction to Python. The last assignment took long to complete but I was amazed to see in the end what I could program after only a few weeks of learning.

By Jim S

Dec 23, 2020

I feel I learned a lot about python by taking this course. I rated the course as low as I did because I found the homework assignments VERY frustrating. I spent much more time trying to figure out what was being asked and the specifics requirements than I spent actually programming. The instruction was good and I didn't have difficulty DOING the assignment but figuring out the requirements was almost impossible.

Thank you for asking. Jim

By Sapanil S

Jan 30, 2021

Auto grader is pathetic. Does not understand any thing

By murrai s

Feb 8, 2021

This was a great course! Scope, sequence, and pacing is perfect. The project at the end of week four wrapped everything together wonderfully and gave me just the right amount of practice to really understand some of the tricky parts of Python dictionaries. Jupyter was great in the beginning, but very unpleasant during the online banking assignment.

By Bocar L

Feb 12, 2021

By Giooe N

Feb 17, 2021

Sometimes, it is difficult for a total beginner to perform the given assignments, as the instruction and sources provided way too little.

By Thomas K

Feb 24, 2021

The final project for this course was challenging and I learned a lot through this intro course.

By Clay C

Feb 27, 2021

Very helpful class!

By Anita L

Mar 1, 2021

Class ws excellent and I learned a lot about Python programming language and environments. I did struggle with the Jupiter automated testing process quite a bit though. The class should have a module that walks students through that process and how to debug their errors.

By Patrick S R P

Feb 14, 2021

This is a great class for coding practice, and the autograders are helpful and accurate. My biggest criticism is that there isn't much theory or background on principles, the course is very mechanical about how to code. If that's your goal, great class.

By Saeed R

Feb 23, 2021

I think that is one of the worst courses which I passed in Coursera!