Back to Introduction to Python Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Python Programming by University of Pennsylvania

4.0

This course provides an introduction to programming and the Python language. Students are introduced to core programming concepts like data structures, conditionals, loops, variables, and functions. This course includes an overview of the various tools available for writing and running Python, and gets students coding quickly. It also provides hands-on coding exercises using commonly used data structures, writing custom functions, and reading and writing to files. This course may be more robust than some other introductory python courses, as it delves deeper into certain essential programming topics....

SB
Mar 26, 2021

Great explanations and lots of examples to follow on. The course built throughout so I had confidence in completing assignments though they were not easy. Great interaction in discussion forums.

JG
Feb 22, 2021

Super great course. However, graded assignments requiere better information regarding how to present the results and the response time form TA's is extremely long, if they ever respond

1 - 25 of 53 Reviews for Introduction to Python Programming

By Alireza R

Feb 11, 2021

good slides, good explanation, and very clear. But the actual and biggest problem is that the examples are not as complex as assessments, the 4th assessment was a real disaster, too hard and you must expend much more time than the suggested time by default.

the questions in assessments are not very clear, you must work very hard to understand what the question wants and actually not mentioned in subcells. again; this is very obvious in the 4th assessment.

By Michael S

Jan 18, 2021

I am considering dropping the course and switching to Udacity. One simple reason: absolutely no feedback on any homework assignment, except a public chat room with an occasional hit-and-miss response by a teaching assistant. Teaching assistants cannot review code, so, if you have a specific question or are stuck - you are out of luck... you'll have to help yourself. Even if your code works and does what is assigned, auto-grader can give you '0' because of the 'how'/method you use. No way to know how to correct because ... go to the beginning of my review. Assignments are not based on video lectures or course notes - I had to research a ton online to get close to what I was supposed to do. Again, no support, no Q&A, no explanations. Black box.

By Jessica H

Dec 14, 2020

If I had never taken an introductory course on Python before, I would find this course very frustrating. There is a lack of "why" things are the way they are and there are certain formats used in code along exercises that were never previous taught. The tests are also a bit difficult to grasp because there was no example given as to how take them. It's a bit of a plug and lay, but it's note innately obvious. It is a manageable course otherwise.

By Michael L

Jan 21, 2021

Really great final "exam" question, as I learned a lot. However, only 4 out of 5 stars because the final exam is SO MUCH HARDER than the rest of the course, that it catches a lot of people unprepared. I suppose this might be all right for an online course, but just a flag for people wanting to take the course: be prepared to take it seriously, or the ending will be hard. :)

By Rafaël J F

Dec 20, 2020

Really bad course. I had to cancel my subscription because of this course because they didn't explained you anything in any detail. I DO NOT recommend it

By Jim S

Dec 23, 2020

I feel I learned a lot about python by taking this course. I rated the course as low as I did because I found the homework assignments VERY frustrating. I spent much more time trying to figure out what was being asked and the specifics requirements than I spent actually programming. The instruction was good and I didn't have difficulty DOING the assignment but figuring out the requirements was almost impossible.

Thank you for asking. Jim

By kelly m

Jan 24, 2021

This is not organized well. It is not a beginners course

By Jose G R G

Feb 23, 2021

By Ruth K

Apr 7, 2021

The course itself was good enough, but I have to agree with all the other reviewers criticising the last assessment. I also thought it was very strange and simply frustrating. I guess the coding itself would have been doable, but I wasted so much time trying to figure out WHAT exactly they wanted from me. If I wrote different codes that worked, it was still wrong because it was not what their automated system was testing. I get that, but then at least the instructions should not be confusing and contradictory. When I asked a question in the forum, after 1-2 days they would respond to only the one error message I'd have and once I fixed that specific error, I would get new error messages, would have to ask again, wait, etc. It took me 2-3 weeks instead of the supposed 4 hours and I spent almost one full course payment on this. In the end I just aborted the whole thing once I was sure I'd have enough correct answers to be able to pass the assessment, in order to move forward at last. I started the second course today - with very little motivation.

By Tashi M

May 11, 2021

The content is all over the place, the chapters are incredibly too long, and it is NOT a good course for someone just learning Python. I took it as a refresher course and it still confused me. The homework assignments are a joke. There is little to no information to let you know what is expected for each assignment. They just present you will incorrect codes and say, 'fix these;' again seeming to forget that this course is for BEGINNERS!!!! It is too late for me to un-enroll so I am stuck with it. But I wish I had could have sampled it before getting stuck with this headache of a course.

By Giooe N

Feb 17, 2021

Sometimes, it is difficult for a total beginner to perform the given assignments, as the instruction and sources provided way too little.

By Wong M K

Feb 6, 2021

This is an interesting course. The instructor introduced the content in a simple and clear way. However, the main problem was the huge difficulty of the last assignment. It was hard for a beginner like me that the instructions were not clear. It is normal to spend you a few hours to do that.

By An T

Jan 20, 2021

I'm glad that I decided to pay for this course. The assignments were practical and covered all the content in the lectures thoroughly. The assignments and quizzes were good opportunities to review what you've learned. The level of difficulty of the assignments increase overtime. Still, I hope that there will be instructions included on how to read errors in test cells and good debugging practices. The last assignment was especially challenging as I don't know how to properly run the program in PyCharm and test my results. The errors in the test cells were difficult to help me understand where I did wrong. And replies from staff in the discussion forum are relatively slow so it wasn't very helpful.

By Czarina A

Mar 13, 2021

This is '"SUPPOSED" to be a beginner class, but the HW assignments prove this class to be otherwise. You'll spend less than an hour reading/listening to lectures, but hours, or in my case days, trying to do/figure out the homework. What makes it worst, is that there is a lack of guidance/help from TAs albeit there being a lot of them listed. When help is provided, responses are so vague that it's difficult to understand. It's almost not even worth asking for help. Waste of money if you've paid to get the certificate.

By Stacey B

Mar 27, 2021

By Bocar L

Feb 12, 2021

I can't wait to enroll for the 100% online master at Penn U. The instructor in this course has shown a great value of this introduction to python programming.

By Kanwar L G

Mar 2, 2021

Thank you Sir and Thank You Jhanvi for helping. This is wonderful and helped me learn a lot.

By Anna C

Jan 21, 2021

As someone with a background in Economics and with experience with STATA I found this to be a helpful introduction to Python. The last assignment took long to complete but I was amazed to see in the end what I could program after only a few weeks of learning.

By Ahmed M

Mar 24, 2021

Not beginner friendly as claimed. I have 5 years of experience in JavaScript and I still struggled with a lot of issues. Needed to research a lot of methods on my own which is a great thing to do as a developer but at least inform the student with hints that they might need to research on google (for example, checking if characters are uppercase/lowercase and numeric when validating the password in the last assignment). Also, the assertions are not descriptive enough.

By James W

Apr 27, 2021

The first assignment was broken, and I got no support to fix it.

By Sapanil S

Jan 30, 2021

Auto grader is pathetic. Does not understand any thing

By Ryan M

May 30, 2021

The videos and level of instruction is super high-quality in this course. It could be that I really connect with Brandon's teaching style, or perhaps I'm simply pleased with the ability to repeat complex topics and explore in secondary sources when something doesn't quite make sense, or I simply want to know more. The homework is definitely challenging. Stick with it though and you'll figure it out!

By murrai s

Feb 8, 2021

This was a great course! Scope, sequence, and pacing is perfect. The project at the end of week four wrapped everything together wonderfully and gave me just the right amount of practice to really understand some of the tricky parts of Python dictionaries. Jupyter was great in the beginning, but very unpleasant during the online banking assignment.

By Elias K

Mar 9, 2021

A great starting point for someone who is beginning to learn to code. I recommend it to everyone also who works in a scientific field because having a piece of basic knowledge in coding is today a requirement in almost every place of work. Very clear explanations in videos and readings.

By Haoyu Z

Mar 14, 2021

This course is overall comprehensive and one of the best tools to lead new Python users to the right way. The content gives proper attention to theories while providing efficient practices. Nice taking it!