Back to Introduction to Python Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Python Programming by University of Pennsylvania

3.8

This course provides an introduction to programming and the Python language. Students are introduced to core programming concepts like data structures, conditionals, loops, variables, and functions. This course includes an overview of the various tools available for writing and running Python, and gets students coding quickly. It also provides hands-on coding exercises using commonly used data structures, writing custom functions, and reading and writing to files. This course may be more robust than some other introductory python courses, as it delves deeper into certain essential programming topics....

1 - 8 of 8 Reviews for Introduction to Python Programming

By Michael L

Jan 21, 2021

Really great final "exam" question, as I learned a lot. However, only 4 out of 5 stars because the final exam is SO MUCH HARDER than the rest of the course, that it catches a lot of people unprepared. I suppose this might be all right for an online course, but just a flag for people wanting to take the course: be prepared to take it seriously, or the ending will be hard. :)

By Anna C

Jan 21, 2021

As someone with a background in Economics and with experience with STATA I found this to be a helpful introduction to Python. The last assignment took long to complete but I was amazed to see in the end what I could program after only a few weeks of learning.

By An T

Jan 20, 2021

I'm glad that I decided to pay for this course. The assignments were practical and covered all the content in the lectures thoroughly. The assignments and quizzes were good opportunities to review what you've learned. The level of difficulty of the assignments increase overtime. Still, I hope that there will be instructions included on how to read errors in test cells and good debugging practices. The last assignment was especially challenging as I don't know how to properly run the program in PyCharm and test my results. The errors in the test cells were difficult to help me understand where I did wrong. And replies from staff in the discussion forum are relatively slow so it wasn't very helpful.

By Jessica H

Dec 14, 2020

If I had never taken an introductory course on Python before, I would find this course very frustrating. There is a lack of "why" things are the way they are and there are certain formats used in code along exercises that were never previous taught. The tests are also a bit difficult to grasp because there was no example given as to how take them. It's a bit of a plug and lay, but it's note innately obvious. It is a manageable course otherwise.

By Jim S

Dec 23, 2020

I feel I learned a lot about python by taking this course. I rated the course as low as I did because I found the homework assignments VERY frustrating. I spent much more time trying to figure out what was being asked and the specifics requirements than I spent actually programming. The instruction was good and I didn't have difficulty DOING the assignment but figuring out the requirements was almost impossible.

Thank you for asking. Jim

By Michael S

Jan 18, 2021

I am considering dropping the course and switching to Udacity. One simple reason: absolutely no feedback on any homework assignment, except a public chat room with an occasional hit-and-miss response by a teaching assistant. Teaching assistants cannot review code, so, if you have a specific question or are stuck - you are out of luck... you'll have to help yourself. Even if your code works and does what is assigned, auto-grader can give you '0' because of the 'how'/method you use. No way to know how to correct because ... go to the beginning of my review. Assignments are not based on video lectures or course notes - I had to research a ton online to get close to what I was supposed to do. Again, no support, no Q&A, no explanations. Black box.

By Rafaël J F

Dec 20, 2020

Really bad course. I had to cancel my subscription because of this course because they didn't explained you anything in any detail. I DO NOT recommend it

By kelly m

Jan 24, 2021

This is not organized well. It is not a beginners course