Back to Introduction to Google SEO

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Google SEO by University of California, Davis

Ever wonder how major search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo rank your website within their searches? Or how content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users? Welcome to the world of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). This course is the first within the SEO Specialization and it is intended to give you a taste of SEO with some fun practices to get seen in Google. You will be introduced to the foundational elements of how the most popular search engine, Google, works, how the SEO landscape is constantly changing and what you can expect in the future. You discuss core SEO strategies and tactics used to drive more organic search results to a specific website or set of websites, as well as tactics to avoid to prevent penalization from Google. We hope this taste of SEO, will entice you to continue through the Specialization!...

Aug 9, 2016

Great course, very informative!! I can tell the classes are starting to be structured differently though. Not too much meat to this first course... reserving my opinion, until I go through a few more.

AP
Jul 10, 2020

The way of explaining the terms is excellent and content is very good . I leant many new things from this course. Going to do all the courses of this specialization. Thanks for the wonderful content.

2101 - 2125 of 2,258 Reviews for Introduction to Google SEO

Jul 14, 2019

I

By Jonáš S

Dec 4, 2020

Overall, I was satisfied with the content of the course, but have some remarks to the pedagogical aspects of the course and structure.

Content really met, if not exceeded, my expectations. It puts Search Engine Optimisation in a easy to grasp perspective and really indicates the various trends that SEO school of thought underwent over time. It also makes it clear that it is not so much an academic discipline as it is practice oriented course. The course has for me (especially in the times of massive shifting of communication and outreach strategies online) become a huge benefit and a teaser to follow more courses on SEO &co. from UC DAVIS.

However, coming from a social science background with experience in online course design and pedagogy, I almost got put off by most of the content of week 1. I have ambitions in and passion for SEO, as well as science and communication, for which I regard the content of this course very, very, very useful!!

However, according to the profiling of an 'ideal SEO professional', I got a feeling I should not even try entering this domain. In many ways I do not identify myself with the 'ideal profile' of a potential SEO professional candidate that Rebekah May or Dave Lloyd would hire. Which I honestly think is a pity.

My commentary might be, therefore, coming from a slightly biased feeling of being excluded, true. I do not intend or desire to (at least in this moment) to work for or with any of them, however, as a valuable feedback from a social science oriented learner: There might be a lot of qualities, ways of thinking and ideas that by hiring the ideal archetype candidate would be lost. Perhaps I am not the most ideal audience for the course, however, my keyword research on what I need brought me to it.

Not to mention, if I had not truly had the desire to learn about SEO anyways, week 1 would have most likely been the last for me. This would have left the SEO professional domain in its static, solely pro-business oriented thinking.

Lesson learnt for me (and perhaps should be for the course instructors too): There's a lot to learn from other disciplines out there. Be it often the elitist social science way of critical thinking or pragmatic orientation of many business profit oriented activities. Not only online.

Anyways, thank you for this course. Although I perhaps was not intended to be your audience, I made it to the end and since week 2 have been really enjoying the content!

By Miriam F

Sep 8, 2017

This was somewhat helpful. In general, I didn't find really useful information until course 2 began. However, it may be that I simply am not skilled enough in SEO yet to recognize the importance of finding out so much about its history.

One good thing about this course was helpful background on SEO that enabled one to immediately spot some old SEO practices that some sites still use, but quickly see these are no longer relevant. It may be helpful to understand why some poorly-managed sites are still doing them, however.

One thing I found unhelpful was lots of reading about, and attempts to get me into the discussion of the monetization of the Internet. For one thing, I'm hardly advanced enough in SEO to have any useful opinion on this matter, so it was both a waste of time and an encouragement to develop a largely ignorant opinion. (And once people develop opinions, they tend to fight over them, especially online, in utterly unhelpful ways). Second, for someone who wishes to get into SEO, this debate is irrelevant. It may have interesting philosophical value outside of your job, but the reality is the Internet IS optimized; like it or not. If you don't accept this, don't go into SEO.

Although history is one of my passions, and I found the long historical youtube video very interesting indeed, it was not actually relevant or valuable. As a professional educator coming to this course, I can spot make-work and filler gunk from a mile away.

By Muhammad I L

Feb 8, 2021

As someone looking to switch industries and wanting to learn about all the basics of what an SEO should know, this course is not what I was looking for. For 49 USD I expected something with a little more meat and practicality instead of theory.

I appreciated the part about the history and how search engines changed and evolved over time the most. I disliked some of the parts about the section regarding how to get a job in the field. I feel it was irrelevant and bloated.

Rebekah is a great instructor, she paces her words well and speaks with high clarity. Aside from some mistakes in the transcript which threw me off a little at times, overall, she was a pleasure to listen to and learn from.

Some links are broken as of the time I took the course (6th Feb 2021). Sometimes reading materials given are so general like a whole Wikipedia page that I lose interest very quickly. Some videos are even 1 hour long. The thing is, these contents are considered 'unnecessary' as the info you get from them are not even going to be asked in the graded quizzes.

Conclusion: If you're looking for a crash course on SEO and want to learn how to use tools like Google Analytics or Google Search Console, this is not the course for you.

By Kari M

Jun 19, 2016

Good information presented, but I can't get past the outdated teaching method of using the first 45 to 60 seconds of each video to talk about what the video is going to cover, then spending 30 seconds repeating those bullet points at the end of each video. Some videos are 4 minutes long, so more than half of the content is not actually content, it is essentially the instructor reading the outline for the upcoming content. It's a waste of both instructor and learner time. There are errors in the materials, and since there is no instructor feedback/interaction, there is no way to find out what was meant (including in reading assignments). All you can do is submit a ticket to get it fixed and hope that it gets corrected for the next people who take this course.

By Andrew C T

Aug 22, 2018

Positives

A good place to start in relation to SEO. It gives you a basic overview of the history and development of the field as well the range strategies used in modern SEO. The video presentations are informative, clear and well-paced. If you have no real great understanding of how modern SEO works then it certainly delves deep enough to give you a better idea of whether it would be a career path you might want to follow.

Negative

Some of the supplementary reading material and videos can be a bit hit and miss in relation to their quality as educational or informational materials.

By Andrew C D

Jan 1, 2021

Much of the content could have been streamlined and better focused; I prefer if it was straight to the point, and clearly expressed the information that is important to me, instead of portraying the content in round-about ways.

Grammatical, stylistic and formatting errors were also plentiful in transcripts and quizzes; the superficial quality of the text really detracts from your brand's legitimacy and trustworthiness, as discussed in the final lecture.

Overall, I felt it was informative but definitely could have been significantly condensed for what it is.

By Maximilian P

Don't get me wrong. The course is a nice broad introduction. Rebekah May has a lovely way of teaching. However, the first "two weeks" are more of an HR commercial, advertising the SEO career than actually teaching relevant topics. Also "week two" with the co-professor is more than unnecessary and can be left out completely. The rest is (though it is very basic and starts from the very beginning) nicely explained and interesting. I am looking forward to watching the deeper modules and will continue to give this a chance!

By Bob B

Dec 31, 2020

I would not say that this is a class for beginners. It is an introductory course for those who already are familiar with certain computer terms, programs, methods, etc. I learned a lot more than I thought I would. I had to research some of the terms used and ask a lot of questions with my family to understand what exactly some of this means. Just not a great course for 50+ year olds with no previous computer experience. A little off-putting.

But the class was challenging and the tests were a bit difficult.

By Laura S

Jul 29, 2020

Videos are pretty informative, especially in weeks 3 and 4. The first two weeks covered history of SEO and job market info, which I found less useful, although it gave me a more comprehensive picture of SEO in general. There's no technical info in this course. The additional readings are not useful (outdated, not well written, many ads on the blogs). The quizzes are okay, but some questions are poorly constructed. The course could be improved with much more interactivity and reinforcement of the concepts.

By Hannes H

Jun 27, 2020

For me personally, this course was a little waste of time. I entered the course to learn how to optimize content of websites for SEO. Week 4 covered this a little bit with insight into keyword semantics. The weeks 1-3 were not so interesting for me because they cover the job-role "SEO", history of search engines in general and give an overview of major Google search algorithm updates of the past 15 years. This course is great for people who do not have any IT-background and pursue a new career.

By E. W

Feb 11, 2017

This course is an overview of SEO and doesn't go into a lot of detail of how SEO is actually implemented on the site. What it does do is offer a snapshot of the industry as a job outlook, discuss Google's algorithm impact on SEO practitioners, offers interviews with current SEO analysts and experts, and describes how content affects SEO. I recommend taking the more practical courses in the specialization to get skills needed unless you're an absolute beginner and have no clue what SEO is.

By Laila S D

Mar 21, 2018

It was an OK course but I didn't think that starting with a whole week on a career in SEO is a good idea. How can I be interested in a career in a field I still know nothing about? Teach me something first and then maybe at the end add some information on how to pursue a career in this area. I skipped almost all of the first week simply because I didn't sign up for the course looking for a career, and couldn't have been convinced to consider it without having taken any other lessons.

By Allison M

Apr 12, 2020

Very good overview, though it is specifically targeted to those who want an introduction to SEO because they plan to pursue a career in it. I took the course to brush up on basic SEO practices. I'm established in my marketing career though I believe in continuous learning so this was helpful. The job search information wasn't useful. I would love to see a course called - "Basic SEO for the marketing professional" or something to that degree. Thanks.

By Arman M

Apr 10, 2021

The majority of the course was a good introduction to SEO. One of the biggest takeaways from the course I believe was the indirect introduction to what tools SEO Professionals use. My biggest issue was with some of the reading material. Some of it was very repetitive, no longer available on the linked site, and in one lesson there were two articles that contradicted each other. This I believe resulted in a course that was much longer than necessary.

By Emily T

Jul 4, 2020

This was a nice introduction to what SEO is and how it is used in the real world. I liked the short format of the videos and readings that helped orient learners in current dialogues. I wasn't a fan of having the "careers" week first, before we really even knew what SEO was, and I would have liked more hands-on projects or questions to put us in the shoes of an actual SEO professional, but on the whole, I liked the course!

By Tenille G

Oct 14, 2020

This course provided a holistic review of SEO. The content was interesting and informative, and is a good beginners guide to SEO. Although, the course description said beginners level, there are a lot of technical terminology and concepts that needed expanding on in simpler terms. More real world examples could have been touched on as well. Overall a good course for dipping your toes in the digital marketing landscape.

By Natalya A

Jan 8, 2021

Interesting course. issues I had: broken links in reading material; unrealistic timing (for example, a reading section marked as 30 minutes gave me links to two videos, one 14.28 minutes long and the other - 14.11 minutes long, which left me several seconds to read two more long text articles); name spelling (the video transcript gave the name Gerard Salton, in quiz it was spelled as "Gerard Sulton"

By Malcom L

Nov 2, 2019

needs more hands on material to drive lessons home. Mindlessly watching videos while robotically taking notes is not going to help in job interviews... the people teaching the course you can tell are highly skilled at what they do.

I love the integration of philosophy and tying in Ludwig Wittgenstein. That was super insightful. Overall I think this course could be better but not bad.

By John W

Apr 26, 2021

Rating this as a working copywriter, there's not much here in terms of practical advice to improve my writing. This is a good general overview of the evolution of Google search and how that has affected SEO in very broad terms, that's probably best for someone who already has some practical experience in an SEO role but would like a better understanding of nuts and bolts.

By Kailey L

Feb 7, 2021

I thought the this course was a good introduction to some topics, but didn't cover others that I was surprised by - no discussion of SERPs and how those are outlined on different search engines. Some of the course materials were very dated (blog posts published in 2011, for example). I thought the instructor was clear and straightforward.

By Erick G

Jul 7, 2017

There is a ton of great information in this course if you are wanting to learn the theory and history behind SEO. Professor May dumped tons of her knowledge and others' to make this course a great resource for anyone wanting to now the basic "why's" of SEO. The reading assignments can get lengthy at times, but worth sticking it out for.

By Alvaro G

May 5, 2020

I liked how the course introduced the SEO concepts from a historical perspective. However, the quizzes were based on memorizing the names of the updates and numbers. This might work from some, but for me it did not provide extra learning value when you fail quizzes because you didn't memorize, rather than conceptualized knowledge.