Back to Introduction to Search Engine Optimization

Introduction to Search Engine Optimization, University of California, Davis

About this Course

Ever wonder how major search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo rank your website within their searches? Or how content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users? Welcome to the world of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). This course is the first within the SEO Specialization and it is intended to give you a taste of SEO. You will be introduced to the foundational elements of how search engines work, how the SEO landscape has changed and what you can expect in the future. You discuss core SEO strategies and tactics used to drive more organic search results to a specific website or set of websites, as well as tactics to avoid to prevent penalization from search engines. You will also discover how to position yourself for a successful career in SEO should this subject prove interesting to you. We hope this taste of SEO, will entice you to continue through the Specialization....

By SS

Aug 10, 2016

Great course, very informative!! I can tell the classes are starting to be structured differently though. Not too much meat to this first course... reserving my opinion, until I go through a few more.

By AI

Jun 25, 2016

A great fundamental breakdown of SEO strategies that you need to know in order to further understand the field. Very well designed course that is perfect for someone who is new to the field of SEO!

664 Reviews

By Ahtesham

Jan 17, 2019

Great Course! Fantastic learning Experience.

By Stephane Saint-Denis

Jan 17, 2019

Great content, you also shared quality external content in the course. It'd be awesome if you had provided a little deck at the end with keytakeaways.

By Theodoros Aldakos

Jan 16, 2019

Good, comprehensive lectures with to the point exams. I suggest it to people wishing to have a first contact to SEO.

By Moises Enrique Gonzalez Peña

Jan 14, 2019

Very useful introduction in a simple way . thanks .

By Tyler J.

Jan 10, 2019

I learned so much in this course that can help me with my personal branded website. I plan to get more versed in HTML so I can make my current sit more aesthetically pleasing, as well as deploying the SEO tactics I've learned in this course to better focus my pages and create better content and keywords. Thanks Rebecca!

By Yusuf Oluwatoyosi

Jan 10, 2019

Thank you.

By Ashutosh R. Dhok

Jan 07, 2019

This course really starts from scratching surface like history of search engines to alogarithm shifts and so on

By Dina Isyemina

Jan 06, 2019

Great background information. I would prefer a little bit more "how to" vs. pure history. Also the proportion of reading to lecture material can be equalized. I am looking for a the instructor's knowledge on the subject primarily. The rest can be easily found online.

By Jeffrey Aspacio

Jan 02, 2019

As an SEO practitioner, this course articulated and validated many of the principles and strategies I have been using. Learning them gave me confidence that I am headed in the right direction.

By Andrew MacLeod

Dec 29, 2018

It was a great course. This was the first SEO course I ever took and thought the instructors gave us students great information we will be able to use in the field :) THANK YOU!