Back to Introduction to Google SEO

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Google SEO by University of California, Davis

Ever wonder how major search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo rank your website within their searches? Or how content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users? Welcome to the world of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). This course is the first within the SEO Specialization and it is intended to give you a taste of SEO with some fun practices to get seen in Google. You will be introduced to the foundational elements of how the most popular search engine, Google, works, how the SEO landscape is constantly changing and what you can expect in the future. You discuss core SEO strategies and tactics used to drive more organic search results to a specific website or set of websites, as well as tactics to avoid to prevent penalization from Google. We hope this taste of SEO, will entice you to continue through the Specialization!...

Aug 9, 2016

Great course, very informative!! I can tell the classes are starting to be structured differently though. Not too much meat to this first course... reserving my opinion, until I go through a few more.

AP

Jul 10, 2020

The way of explaining the terms is excellent and content is very good . I leant many new things from this course. Going to do all the courses of this specialization. Thanks for the wonderful content.

2226 - 2250 of 2,409 Reviews for Introduction to Google SEO

Jul 31, 2020

great

By Pinky j

Dec 17, 2021

good

By ROHAN N

Apr 14, 2021

good

By Fariya Y

Mar 20, 2021

Good

By Md N I

Feb 26, 2021

good

By Fahim U Z

Oct 13, 2020

good

By chethana p

Sep 8, 2020

good

By Shanjai N

Jul 9, 2020

good

By Sumera f R

Jun 28, 2020

Good

By ShinJunsup

good

By Arpita G

Feb 28, 2019

good

By Nagham N

Sep 27, 2021

Jul 14, 2019

I

By Jonáš S

Dec 4, 2020

Overall, I was satisfied with the content of the course, but have some remarks to the pedagogical aspects of the course and structure.

Content really met, if not exceeded, my expectations. It puts Search Engine Optimisation in a easy to grasp perspective and really indicates the various trends that SEO school of thought underwent over time. It also makes it clear that it is not so much an academic discipline as it is practice oriented course. The course has for me (especially in the times of massive shifting of communication and outreach strategies online) become a huge benefit and a teaser to follow more courses on SEO &co. from UC DAVIS.

However, coming from a social science background with experience in online course design and pedagogy, I almost got put off by most of the content of week 1. I have ambitions in and passion for SEO, as well as science and communication, for which I regard the content of this course very, very, very useful!!

However, according to the profiling of an 'ideal SEO professional', I got a feeling I should not even try entering this domain. In many ways I do not identify myself with the 'ideal profile' of a potential SEO professional candidate that Rebekah May or Dave Lloyd would hire. Which I honestly think is a pity.

My commentary might be, therefore, coming from a slightly biased feeling of being excluded, true. I do not intend or desire to (at least in this moment) to work for or with any of them, however, as a valuable feedback from a social science oriented learner: There might be a lot of qualities, ways of thinking and ideas that by hiring the ideal archetype candidate would be lost. Perhaps I am not the most ideal audience for the course, however, my keyword research on what I need brought me to it.

Not to mention, if I had not truly had the desire to learn about SEO anyways, week 1 would have most likely been the last for me. This would have left the SEO professional domain in its static, solely pro-business oriented thinking.

Lesson learnt for me (and perhaps should be for the course instructors too): There's a lot to learn from other disciplines out there. Be it often the elitist social science way of critical thinking or pragmatic orientation of many business profit oriented activities. Not only online.

Anyways, thank you for this course. Although I perhaps was not intended to be your audience, I made it to the end and since week 2 have been really enjoying the content!

By Miriam F

Sep 8, 2017

This was somewhat helpful. In general, I didn't find really useful information until course 2 began. However, it may be that I simply am not skilled enough in SEO yet to recognize the importance of finding out so much about its history.

One good thing about this course was helpful background on SEO that enabled one to immediately spot some old SEO practices that some sites still use, but quickly see these are no longer relevant. It may be helpful to understand why some poorly-managed sites are still doing them, however.

One thing I found unhelpful was lots of reading about, and attempts to get me into the discussion of the monetization of the Internet. For one thing, I'm hardly advanced enough in SEO to have any useful opinion on this matter, so it was both a waste of time and an encouragement to develop a largely ignorant opinion. (And once people develop opinions, they tend to fight over them, especially online, in utterly unhelpful ways). Second, for someone who wishes to get into SEO, this debate is irrelevant. It may have interesting philosophical value outside of your job, but the reality is the Internet IS optimized; like it or not. If you don't accept this, don't go into SEO.

Although history is one of my passions, and I found the long historical youtube video very interesting indeed, it was not actually relevant or valuable. As a professional educator coming to this course, I can spot make-work and filler gunk from a mile away.