Back to Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences by UNSW Sydney (The University of New South Wales)

Transmedia storytelling is the practice of designing, sharing, and participating in a cohesive story experience across multiple traditional and digital delivery platforms - for entertainment, advertising and marketing, or social change. Have you ever read a book, seen a movie, watched a television show, or played a game that centred around different aspects of a larger story or universe? You may be familiar with popular examples of such universes like Star Wars, Marvel, and The Walking Dead (to name a few). How do the professionals develop such expansive narratives? How do they ensure that each element stays true to the original story? How do they innovatively use different technologies to share the stories, grow audiences and create an active and involved community of fans? More and more, we are also engaging with elements or franchises of larger and more complex stories across a much more diverse range of platforms like interactive web experiences, social media communities, mobile devices, theme parks, and even augmented and virtual reality. A major challenge that current and future storytellers face is being able to engage different audiences in a story that is seamlessly told across all of these different platforms. WHAT WILL I LEARN? This course will help you to design a strategy for developing and telling your own transmedia story. You will learn about what it takes to: • Shape your ideas into compelling and well structured narratives and complex story worlds • Identify, understand, and engage different audiences in your stories • Create cohesive user experiences across different platforms • Evaluate existing and emerging technologies to share your story with the world, and help your audience participate in the larger storyworld you create The course provides you with a unique, authentic, and industry relevant learning opportunity. You will have access to current theory, industry examples and advice and undertake learning activities that will equip you with the tools you need to start developing your own ideas. WHO WILL MY INSTRUCTORS BE? You will learn effective transmedia design strategies from leading UNSW Australia Art & Design academics. You will also examine case studies that demonstrate how amazing ideas, technology and audience contributions can be brought together to create dynamic storyworlds. You'll see examples of major, successful transmedia storytelling projects involving movies, digital entertainment, gaming, virtual reality and more. In collaboration with our industry partner X Media Lab, the course will give you inside access to the personal stories, insight and advice of the following innovative transmedia storytelling professionals from Hollywood USA, Canada and Australia. • Susan Bonds, 42 Entertainment, Los Angeles, USA • Flint Dille, Screenwriter, Game Designer and Novelist, Los Angeles, USA • Cindi Drennan, Illuminart, Australia • Tom Ellard, UNSW Art & Design, Sydney, Australia • Catherine Fargher, Dr Egg Digital, Sydney, Australia • Hal Hefner, 3AM Creative, USA • Brian Seth Hurst, StoryTech, Los Angeles, USA • Henry Jenkins, School for Communication and Journalism, University of Southern California, USA • Mikey Leung, Digital Storytellers, Sydney, Australia • Alex Lieu, 42 Entertainment, Los Angeles, USA • Geoffrey Long, Annenberg Innovation Lab, University of Southern California, USA • John McGhee, UNSW Art & Design, Sydney, Australia • Joseph Narai, Transmedia Entertainment, Sydney, Australia • Jeff Nicholas, The Uprising Creative, Los Angeles, USA • Sergio Paez, Graphic Artist working in animation, TV, video games, and film. Co Founder, StoryboardArt, California, USA • Steve Peters, No Mimes Media, Los Angeles, USA • Stuart Samuels, Stuart Samuels Productions, Toronto, Canada • Charles Santoso, Concept Artist, Sydney, Australia • Seth Shapiro, New Amsterdam Media, Los Angeles, USA • Scott Snibbe, Eyegroove, San Francisco, USA • Tracey Taylor, The Pulse, Sydney, Australia • Robert Tercek, Public Speaker, Digital Media Strategist, and Executive Leader for Creative Ventures and Business Innovation, • University of Southern California, USA • Kevin Williams, Founder & Director of KWP Ltd and DNA Association, UK • Brent Young, Super 78, Los Angeles, USA • Maya Zuckerman, Transmedia SF, San Francisco, USA COURSE CONTENT DEVELOPMENT Karin Watson, Iman Irannejad, and Dr. Simon McIntyre....

NT
Apr 26, 2020

Great Course. Love the inputs from all the professionals and the various tools and methods provided to the students to complete the modules. Very interesting and enriching. Thank you

CL

All aspects of story telling and trans media story telling are discussed. The resource persons shared their experiences very effectively to keep the interest building. Thank you!

26 - 50 of 184 Reviews for Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences

By Ugochi E

Apr 1, 2020

I really enjoyed this course and the the structure of the videos along with the reading materials. Each of the weeks flowed seamlessly into the next. I kind of wish I had studied something like this earlier or when I was in school. However, this course gave me so much and I am glad I can go back and access the lessons whenever I feel like it. I just wish that for some of the assignments we had a little more time to complete, so we could really thoroughly go through the material and then write. That stated, I had a phenominal experience and I am happy I chose this course.

By Chandrakant S

Jun 7, 2020

This is a wonderful course, and thanks to UNSW, and Coursera for the opportunity. For me, this has given a new dimension to my writing which I love to do. This course not only developed my story-world but would be useful to revisit some of the stories I had written.

How to disperse the story? How to engage the audience? How the co-creation and fandom can help to build the story-world? Which technologies and platforms are best suited to which segment? These are some of the questions that were best addressed through this course.

Thanks for the opportunity!

By Nevena B L

Nov 20, 2016

A great course that will let you in on a world of possibilities when it comes to storytelling. Videos and readings are focused and to the point, with many points of view from both specialists and interdisciplinary experts as to give you a wide variety of opinions, approaches, and food for thought. Even if you're not interested in marketing your stories and making money, this course is still a top resource to refresh your Storytelling 101, as well as enrich your toolkit for the purposes of giving your story the best chance by enhancing it the right way.

By daniel

Aug 29, 2020

Es un curso muy interesante donde te muestran las nociones básicas del Storytelling acompañado de bases teóricas y cómo la estrategia no solo es contar una historia sino todos los elementos que se unen a su alrededor, por ejemplo las nuevas tecnologías como VR y AR, otros campos del transmedia como distintos medios: libros, videojuegos, comics, etc. Además otro elemento importante es la música por ejemplo y los aspectos visuales que pueden ser determinante a la hora de diseñar una narrativa.

By Vickery P

Nov 30, 2020

Really well structured learning experience, and a long list of talented instructors and guest lecturers. Rigorous, thoughtful content that will give you a solid grounding in this subject and as many tools and references as you could want to build out your own transmedia project, be it for entertainment, social change or marketing. Having peers review work was hit and miss. I only had one person provide more than a few words, so that is the biggest drawback. Otherwise, well worth the time!

By Старицына Е А

This is a great course with amazing instructors, who put a lot of work into creating the materials including the tasks. It has taught me how to get to know my audience and to make sure they get a fulfilling experience. It has taught to focus on what is important while developing and delivering a story. Thanks to the information and the tasks I have designed my own project and received constructive feedback which helped along the way.

By Yogitha S

Nov 11, 2020

This truly is one amazing gem for students interested to step into the world of Transmedia storytelling and learn the basics from the art of storytelling, knowing the audience to sculpt user experience design, and technology. The assignments will enable the students to equip their ideas from a linear format to a multimodal storytelling experience with the help of lecturers from various media backgrounds and industrial experts.

By Jasmine Y

This was a very exciting and interesting course and I've learned a lot in the six weeks that I've done the course. The instructors and both the video and the reading materials were quite helpful. The peer-reviewed assignments and also reviewing other participants' assignments were quite helpful in developing the story that was part of the assignment. Some links provided in the reading materials were not working.

By Felipe M

Aug 25, 2017

An excellent course. It makes clear why transmedia storytelling is triving, while giving you the tools to set up your own story. I'd recommend any professional involved with media to become more acquainted with the topic of transmedia experiences on itself; and, for that, I have to say that this course provides a great insight on the structure, purpose and design of such projects.

By Shashank U

Sep 13, 2018

The course is well structured and filled with abundant resources. I loved the assignment section that helped me organise my thought process and be productive. Plus, this industry is something I really want to be working in, so I might be biased. Also, what makes this course truly valuable is that one gets to hear so many experienced professionals and their stories.

By Uwem O

May 4, 2020

I wanted 'something' that would move me from the regular, ordinary experience- 'something' holistic. Holistic used not as a cliche, but having a universal experience that will make the experience of the world being a 'global village' a reality, and I found that in the Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds of emerging technologies, and global audiences.

By Claire R

Jun 4, 2018

Great course! I gained so much from this, both in insight and confidence. Thoroughly recommend this for people wanting to improve their understanding of how transmedia storytelling can work for you and how you can implement it. Creating my own story helped what I learned sink in and I'm excited to try some transmedia techniques in my role. Thanks

By Sabrina L

Apr 25, 2020

I enjoyed this course thoroughly. I feel like it gave me a much deeper understanding of all the elements that go into creating a story and catering to my audience in a more effective and meaningful way. I highly recommend this course to anyone who is considering any field in creative writing, journalism, marketing, or content writing. So good!

By TANG Y

Oct 11, 2020

The four assignments of this course is a bit challenging but a very evoking process for me to think about how to create a true transmedia story and how to engage audience properly then deeply. Transmedia storytelling is required in different areas increasingly, I think this course is a good start for any beginners who are interested in it.

By Mauro I M

Jun 8, 2020

Great content, well researched refferences. If you want to go deep on the subject of transmedia storytelling, you will find lots of invaluable links to bibliography and authors. Professionals and professors involved in the videos are recognized authorities and provide interesting insights. Very inspirational assignment. Really loved it.

By Lokapriya B

Feb 12, 2017

The best online course I've learned by far. Right from the course structure to the content everything was just awesome. The team has relentlessly worked in getting the global gurus to talk about the content and created the best content online for trans media storytelling. I've already recommended my colleagues to take this course.

By Victor M M A

Jul 31, 2019

Realmente disfruté mucho del curso. La información que se brinda es invaluable, los profesionales a cargo de los cursos son de primera y las experiencias que comparten y sus conocimientos son enriquecedores. Recomiendo este curso completamente, especialmente para personas que están relacionadas al marketing y al diseño gráfico.

By Patrícia H D

Apr 16, 2020

Great course! I learned a lot and I'm sure all of this knowledge will open new doors for me. The interviews are very educational and explanatories. Teachers are great, they have a lot of valuable tips; the exchange with the colleagues are nice too. I truly recomended it. Thanks Coursera and UNSW Sidney for this opportunity!

By Stella B

Jul 9, 2019

Great course, I'm so happy to be a part of it. It changed my mind, my vision, updated my entire business experience and improved my English skills. It takes a little time for the information to settle down. Too much new things ) I feel my new knowledge helps me to rebuild my ideas, i live in another world now after course.

By Mantas

Sep 26, 2020

100% recommended to everyone. Whether a beginner storyteller or already experienced. This course provides such a massive dive in transmedia storytelling that once one graduates the course the person feels overwhelmed. This course provided me with an insurmountable amount of data, influence and knowledge. Give it a try!

By Lázaro V C J

Jul 22, 2020

I’m thankful for this course. It brings new aspects of a story that I had never thought before. It also helped to review some content that I have previously studied about storytelling. Besides that, the assessments of my course colleagues pointed out some aspects of my idea that I hadn’t considered before.

By Caroline S

May 4, 2020

The course is well structured and I really liked the video illustrating the concepts, and sharing real life experiences. I also really like the perspective given: no need to jump on to new technologies, choose the best technology for the story - and the story comes first.

Very inspiring course, thank you

By Deepit S

Jun 18, 2020

This is an extremely informative, and just a great course for people to discover just how deep the upcoming world of storytelling goes. I really enjoyed this course! The usage of verious technologies and gauging at your audiences' interests is something that this course teaches eceptionally

By Marne L P

Apr 15, 2020

Excellent overview of storytelling and how the different aspects of the story, the intended audience and the different potential technologies fit together. I learned quite a bit, and I didn't even have a well-crafted story.

Fun, interesting and worth taking, even if you are not tech-savvy

By Ricardo d A K J

Sep 30, 2020

An amazing course. Not only it helps with the basics of storymaking and creating concise and appealing storyworlds, it also brings interesting concepts about UX design, Marketing, knowing the public, emerging technologies, and project developing. It was very helpful for my thesis.