Back to Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences by UNSW Sydney (The University of New South Wales)

Transmedia storytelling is the practice of designing, sharing, and participating in a cohesive story experience across multiple traditional and digital delivery platforms - for entertainment, advertising and marketing, or social change. Have you ever read a book, seen a movie, watched a television show, or played a game that centred around different aspects of a larger story or universe? You may be familiar with popular examples of such universes like Star Wars, Marvel, and The Walking Dead (to name a few). How do the professionals develop such expansive narratives? How do they ensure that each element stays true to the original story? How do they innovatively use different technologies to share the stories, grow audiences and create an active and involved community of fans? More and more, we are also engaging with elements or franchises of larger and more complex stories across a much more diverse range of platforms like interactive web experiences, social media communities, mobile devices, theme parks, and even augmented and virtual reality. A major challenge that current and future storytellers face is being able to engage different audiences in a story that is seamlessly told across all of these different platforms. WHAT WILL I LEARN? This course will help you to design a strategy for developing and telling your own transmedia story. You will learn about what it takes to: • Shape your ideas into compelling and well structured narratives and complex story worlds • Identify, understand, and engage different audiences in your stories • Create cohesive user experiences across different platforms • Evaluate existing and emerging technologies to share your story with the world, and help your audience participate in the larger storyworld you create The course provides you with a unique, authentic, and industry relevant learning opportunity. You will have access to current theory, industry examples and advice and undertake learning activities that will equip you with the tools you need to start developing your own ideas. WHO WILL MY INSTRUCTORS BE? You will learn effective transmedia design strategies from leading UNSW Australia Art & Design academics. You will also examine case studies that demonstrate how amazing ideas, technology and audience contributions can be brought together to create dynamic storyworlds. You'll see examples of major, successful transmedia storytelling projects involving movies, digital entertainment, gaming, virtual reality and more. In collaboration with our industry partner X Media Lab, the course will give you inside access to the personal stories, insight and advice of the following innovative transmedia storytelling professionals from Hollywood USA, Canada and Australia. • Susan Bonds, 42 Entertainment, Los Angeles, USA • Flint Dille, Screenwriter, Game Designer and Novelist, Los Angeles, USA • Cindi Drennan, Illuminart, Australia • Tom Ellard, UNSW Art & Design, Sydney, Australia • Catherine Fargher, Dr Egg Digital, Sydney, Australia • Hal Hefner, 3AM Creative, USA • Brian Seth Hurst, StoryTech, Los Angeles, USA • Henry Jenkins, School for Communication and Journalism, University of Southern California, USA • Mikey Leung, Digital Storytellers, Sydney, Australia • Alex Lieu, 42 Entertainment, Los Angeles, USA • Geoffrey Long, Annenberg Innovation Lab, University of Southern California, USA • John McGhee, UNSW Art & Design, Sydney, Australia • Joseph Narai, Transmedia Entertainment, Sydney, Australia • Jeff Nicholas, The Uprising Creative, Los Angeles, USA • Sergio Paez, Graphic Artist working in animation, TV, video games, and film. Co Founder, StoryboardArt, California, USA • Steve Peters, No Mimes Media, Los Angeles, USA • Stuart Samuels, Stuart Samuels Productions, Toronto, Canada • Charles Santoso, Concept Artist, Sydney, Australia • Seth Shapiro, New Amsterdam Media, Los Angeles, USA • Scott Snibbe, Eyegroove, San Francisco, USA • Tracey Taylor, The Pulse, Sydney, Australia • Robert Tercek, Public Speaker, Digital Media Strategist, and Executive Leader for Creative Ventures and Business Innovation, • University of Southern California, USA • Kevin Williams, Founder & Director of KWP Ltd and DNA Association, UK • Brent Young, Super 78, Los Angeles, USA • Maya Zuckerman, Transmedia SF, San Francisco, USA COURSE CONTENT DEVELOPMENT Karin Watson, Iman Irannejad, and Dr. Simon McIntyre....

LL

Mar 23, 2018

Very engaging. I have not seen this level of interviewing before. It's very educational and intensive. But less so on the education side, more on the motivational one. -L

EK

Sep 11, 2017

this is one of the best courses I have ever taken. So professional, helpful, insightful yet encouraging. Totally a must-take if you interested in content marketing.

26 - 50 of 100 Reviews for Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences

By Timothy N

Mar 24, 2019

I got more out of this course than I expected. The reading material was fantastic; I found many of the papers and articles deeply engrossing. This course really laid the groundwork for my first foray into transmedia and digital storytelling. I cannot recommend it enough!

By Marika O

Oct 03, 2019

The training schedule was very well thought out which provided me a valuable insight into the ways that Transmedia Storytelling do work. It was not a walk in the park to accomplish it, as the Transmedia storytelling is a complex project to carry through.

By Pooja I

Feb 27, 2019

Just what I needed as a development communication practitioner with a knack for filmmaking, and all other things creative! Kudos to the course designers for gathering so many industry insights onto a single platform for the learners.

By Uta F

Mar 10, 2020

I loved this tools, it is a perfect mix of guidance, practical tools, but it also requires you to think, be analytical, be creative. The discussions and feedback gave further inspirations and new aspects to my stories.

By David A

Apr 05, 2020

Super fun and educational course. I recommend this to anyone who is studying (content) marketing or in the storytelling business! I study content marketing myself and I see that this has given me a lot of insights.

By Alexandra D G G

Jan 27, 2020

I have been in media for a few years now, but this course opened my eyes more, to know how to create a better storytelling campaign and how different platforms can be used. Definitely it's a must on your list!

By Julia G

Mar 12, 2020

Great tasks, even if I'm not a screenwriter or producer, but just a Content Specialist. Anyway, this course gave me a deep understanding of how to interconnect different media and keep the story aligned.

By LeAttol ( E L

Mar 23, 2018

By Emese K

Sep 11, 2017

By Barrett B

Apr 03, 2020

Great course! Very informative and engaging! I thoroughly enjoyed it and gained strong perspective about the world / universe I am creating from it!

By Csaba T S

Sep 25, 2018

It was absolutely worth buying this course, I learnt a lot about storytelling itself and about transmedia storytelling, as well. Fully recommended!

By Guadalupe V

Apr 24, 2019

Extraordinary course! We are going to develop the project I worked on during this MOOC. Thank you for the super professional input and guidance!

By Rajendra T

Nov 19, 2019

Excellent Course. This is my first course related to mass media and video production, story telling. Like it and gained significant knowledge.

By Lisa R

Mar 26, 2020

This is a very comprehensive course that helped me to see the emerging technologies and think through how to use them for storytelling.

By Stephen O A

Nov 07, 2019

The best MOOC ever! I really love the blend of advice and journey of professionals with theoretical framework! It was fun! Thank you.

By Dan S

Apr 10, 2017

Very helpful course! I particularly enjoyed learning about the great variety of transmedia projects from the makers themselevs.

By Inês S C

Nov 21, 2017

It helped me a lot, gave me a tone of information that is going to be essential to start writing my story. Thank you so much!

By Nicholas N

Oct 29, 2018

Take the course. Its full of Hollywood insiders and brilliant minds laying the blueprint for this emerging industry.

By Adrián Á P

Sep 02, 2018

A really great introduction to the subject. Algo the examples helps a lot to understand the way transmedia works.

By Albert F P

Feb 13, 2017

Very interesting course and well organized and presented. It is a great opportunity to apply your creativity! ;-)

By Ada L C D C

Feb 23, 2020

I felt that I am in a real class with many videos that I can engage with and assignments that I can work on.

By Patricia L

Jun 23, 2019

Good course for gaining new perspectives about how to tell stories differently and make them interactive.

By Daniel R

May 23, 2019

This was absolutely fantastic. Very eye-opening, inspiration, and most importantly; educational.

By Meghraj T

Feb 17, 2020

Excellent Course for merging Technology with Story telling for Future with different channels

By Emilie D

Apr 16, 2017

Great course, great teachers! There's a lot of useful information and inspiring examples.