Back to Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences by UNSW Sydney (The University of New South Wales)

Transmedia storytelling is the practice of designing, sharing, and participating in a cohesive story experience across multiple traditional and digital delivery platforms - for entertainment, advertising and marketing, or social change. Have you ever read a book, seen a movie, watched a television show, or played a game that centred around different aspects of a larger story or universe? You may be familiar with popular examples of such universes like Star Wars, Marvel, and The Walking Dead (to name a few). How do the professionals develop such expansive narratives? How do they ensure that each element stays true to the original story? How do they innovatively use different technologies to share the stories, grow audiences and create an active and involved community of fans? More and more, we are also engaging with elements or franchises of larger and more complex stories across a much more diverse range of platforms like interactive web experiences, social media communities, mobile devices, theme parks, and even augmented and virtual reality. A major challenge that current and future storytellers face is being able to engage different audiences in a story that is seamlessly told across all of these different platforms. WHAT WILL I LEARN? This course will help you to design a strategy for developing and telling your own transmedia story. You will learn about what it takes to: • Shape your ideas into compelling and well structured narratives and complex story worlds • Identify, understand, and engage different audiences in your stories • Create cohesive user experiences across different platforms • Evaluate existing and emerging technologies to share your story with the world, and help your audience participate in the larger storyworld you create The course provides you with a unique, authentic, and industry relevant learning opportunity. You will have access to current theory, industry examples and advice and undertake learning activities that will equip you with the tools you need to start developing your own ideas. WHO WILL MY INSTRUCTORS BE? You will learn effective transmedia design strategies from leading UNSW Australia Art & Design academics. You will also examine case studies that demonstrate how amazing ideas, technology and audience contributions can be brought together to create dynamic storyworlds. You'll see examples of major, successful transmedia storytelling projects involving movies, digital entertainment, gaming, virtual reality and more. In collaboration with our industry partner X Media Lab, the course will give you inside access to the personal stories, insight and advice of the following innovative transmedia storytelling professionals from Hollywood USA, Canada and Australia. • Susan Bonds, 42 Entertainment, Los Angeles, USA • Flint Dille, Screenwriter, Game Designer and Novelist, Los Angeles, USA • Cindi Drennan, Illuminart, Australia • Tom Ellard, UNSW Art & Design, Sydney, Australia • Catherine Fargher, Dr Egg Digital, Sydney, Australia • Hal Hefner, 3AM Creative, USA • Brian Seth Hurst, StoryTech, Los Angeles, USA • Henry Jenkins, School for Communication and Journalism, University of Southern California, USA • Mikey Leung, Digital Storytellers, Sydney, Australia • Alex Lieu, 42 Entertainment, Los Angeles, USA • Geoffrey Long, Annenberg Innovation Lab, University of Southern California, USA • John McGhee, UNSW Art & Design, Sydney, Australia • Joseph Narai, Transmedia Entertainment, Sydney, Australia • Jeff Nicholas, The Uprising Creative, Los Angeles, USA • Sergio Paez, Graphic Artist working in animation, TV, video games, and film. Co Founder, StoryboardArt, California, USA • Steve Peters, No Mimes Media, Los Angeles, USA • Stuart Samuels, Stuart Samuels Productions, Toronto, Canada • Charles Santoso, Concept Artist, Sydney, Australia • Seth Shapiro, New Amsterdam Media, Los Angeles, USA • Scott Snibbe, Eyegroove, San Francisco, USA • Tracey Taylor, The Pulse, Sydney, Australia • Robert Tercek, Public Speaker, Digital Media Strategist, and Executive Leader for Creative Ventures and Business Innovation, • University of Southern California, USA • Kevin Williams, Founder & Director of KWP Ltd and DNA Association, UK • Brent Young, Super 78, Los Angeles, USA • Maya Zuckerman, Transmedia SF, San Francisco, USA COURSE CONTENT DEVELOPMENT Karin Watson, Iman Irannejad, and Dr. Simon McIntyre....

LL

Mar 23, 2018

Very engaging. I have not seen this level of interviewing before. It's very educational and intensive. But less so on the education side, more on the motivational one. -L

EK

Sep 11, 2017

this is one of the best courses I have ever taken. So professional, helpful, insightful yet encouraging. Totally a must-take if you interested in content marketing.

1 - 25 of 77 Reviews for Transmedia Storytelling: Narrative worlds, emerging technologies, and global audiences

By Irene S

May 19, 2019

The course helped me a lot to develop skills besides the writing of the story. Especially the way to use stories for social change and the analyzing of who my audience is where essential. I am in progress to develop a creative project to empower children. Children with a difficult background can gain strength through that. On the other hand, I want to raise awareness for educators, teachers, and parents. They do have a different experience than the children. The user' journey map helped a lot with this. So I gained valuable tools to put my project further.

By Yann C

Jul 04, 2017

I'm a storyteller, music and image maker with some experience in illustration and design. Technology has played a big part in what I do.

This course is an essential resource for anyone venturing into cross-platform storytelling.

The information contained in the curriculum come from seasoned professionals and invested academics. All of them are pushing the boundaries of what is possible in 2017 and reflecting on what the future of storytelling looks like.

I found plenty of ideas to help me draw a strategy for my own work, I highly recommended it.

By Mariela d P R B

Jun 09, 2017

This is an outstanding course and I highly recommend it to people who want to get familiar with the topic and also to those who want to start a career as a transmedia storyteller. The course structure is motivating and coherent (key concept explanations, interviews to a number of world leading transmedia professionals to learn practical tips and strategies, practical activities). Furthermore, recommended readings and sites are useful to complement the course material. Finally, there is a project for participants to apply their knowledge and creativity.

By Michael K

Apr 14, 2017

This is a great course! Lots to think about. It turns out Transmedia Storytelling is a lot harder than you might think. It's not just branding across different channels. The course is clear, builds on itself from week to week, challenges you to think and write and then apply your new understanding as you grade your peers. You will have to come up with one storyworld idea you can run with for the four assignments. <brag>I got 97%!</brag>

By Eric

Mar 11, 2017

Very interesting!

At first, I just wanted to learn about Transmedia technics and when I was told to tell a story, well ...

And now, I'm ready to make it known!

By Kent V

Feb 08, 2017

Generally, a good course.

The lectures and supporting talks were instructive, helpful, and inspiring. The instructors and industry experts were well chosen.

The assignments were pretty good. They provided nice constraints and freedom of expression to come up with ideas and think about how one might create and adapt a story world so that meaningful experiences can be had from it. The peer review process was good, but I would have liked instructor feedback as well (I suppose it is free for because of only being peer reviewed though).

By Georgina G

Nov 21, 2016

This course is very good. After reading a few very good books con Transmedia, and taking a few courses on Transmedia related topics, I can tell this is THE course that has really made me think I can do it. It provides information, examples and advices to meet the requirements to build a transmedia world with meaningful and engaging experiences. After this course I feel I know how to move on with the idea of Transmedia I had in mind when I started the course. Thank you to all the excellent teachers and congratulations for this wonderful course!

By Fiammetta C

Jul 15, 2019

I really appreciated the course and the average level, for me it was very interesting.

By Stella B

Jul 09, 2019

Great course, I'm so happy to be a part of it. It changed my mind, my vision, updated my entire business experience and improved my English skills. It takes a little time for the information to settle down. Too much new things ) I feel my new knowledge helps me to rebuild my ideas, i live in another world now after course.

By Yessenbekova U

Jun 23, 2019

Useful, well-structured and knowledgeable

By Patricia L

Jun 23, 2019

Good course for gaining new perspectives about how to tell stories differently and make them interactive.

By Grace S

Jun 12, 2019

Great materials and lectures. Much to learn if you are willing and spend time on it.

By Jason L

May 26, 2019

I learned a great deal over the course. The bits of gold were invaluable.

By Daniel R

May 23, 2019

This was absolutely fantastic. Very eye-opening, inspiration, and most importantly; educational.

By Edwar S C

May 22, 2019

A great course about new technologies. Recommended.

By Xósem A

May 16, 2019

Un curso de especial interés para mí, ya que soy creador de contenido y storyteller. Muy interesante todo el contenido; sólo siento que falla un poco a la hora de interactuar con los compañeros, pues hay muy diversos niveles de interés e involucramiento.

By Robert K

May 01, 2019

Great course, gives a first overview of the elements of Transmedia Storytelling. Interesting insights into the movie world of Hollywood as well as into other producers of contemporary media. The course has provided some ideas that i had not considered before after being 20 years in the Marketing and Advertising industry.

Very well structured content, easy to understand lectures even for students with non-English mother language. Loads of additional non-compulsory content for those interested in knowing more.

Entertaining and Educational lectures in manageable time consumption. Finally: nice certificate on my wall. First one from Australia ; )))

Course recommended!

By Guadalupe V

Apr 24, 2019

Extraordinary course! We are going to develop the project I worked on during this MOOC. Thank you for the super professional input and guidance!

By Elizaveta S

Mar 25, 2019

Very detailed, with wonderful speakers - truly enjoyed it!

By Timothy N

Mar 24, 2019

I got more out of this course than I expected. The reading material was fantastic; I found many of the papers and articles deeply engrossing. This course really laid the groundwork for my first foray into transmedia and digital storytelling. I cannot recommend it enough!

By Stephanie B

Mar 23, 2019

Very interesting, briliant contributors. Full of concerte examples to discover and get a clear understanding of the transmedia world. A very good introduction to it.

My only regret is that there is little intersaction with other students.

By Aakankshya

Mar 21, 2019

I enjoyed this course.

By Debashish S

Mar 09, 2019

Had a very excellent experience! The instructors were really very awesome. The course has surely improvised my understanding of transmedia storytelling.

By Rafa H N

Mar 05, 2019

Great course. Practical and result oriented.

By Puspita K

Feb 28, 2019

The only thing that I don't really like is too many speakers in each lesson. Hard for me to grab consistent points from one to another.