Back to Vector Calculus for Engineers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Vector Calculus for Engineers by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

We cover both basic theory and applications. In the first week we learn about scalar and vector fields, in the second week about differentiating fields, in the third week about integrating fields. The fourth week covers the fundamental theorems of vector calculus, including the gradient theorem, the divergence theorem and Stokes’ theorem. These theorems are needed in core engineering subjects such as Electromagnetism and Fluid Mechanics. Instead of Vector Calculus, some universities might call this course Multivariable or Multivariate Calculus or Calculus 3. Two semesters of single variable calculus (differentiation and integration) are a prerequisite. The course is organized into 42 short lecture videos, with a few problems to solve following each video. And after each substantial topic, there is a short practice quiz. Solutions to the problems and practice quizzes can be found in instructor-provided lecture notes. There are a total of four weeks to the course, and at the end of each week there is an assessed quiz. Lecture notes can be downloaded from http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/vector-calculus-for-engineers.pdf...

DK

May 23, 2020

i have completed Three courses of Professor Jeffrey. I'm so happy that i learnt a lot from him. Thanks to our professor Jeffrey and thanks to The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

RB

May 04, 2020

This course is very well organized and well explained. I am very much thankful to Prof Jeffrey R. Chasnov for his fruitful videos which help us to update our knowledge in this area.

151 - 175 of 207 Reviews for Vector Calculus for Engineers

By Battu u

Super

By Anjana A

Oct 03, 2020

Good

By Akshayreddy

Jul 15, 2020

Good

By tomisin g

Jun 28, 2020

g

o

o

d

By S. M

Jun 24, 2020

GOOD

By Naga M G

Jun 06, 2020

GOOD

By Deepika V

Good

By Naveen P

Good

By Rodrigo T T

By 程铁杰

Mar 16, 2020

cool

By Mohammed S

I

By Pablo M L S

Jun 08, 2020

I took the course as complementary material to my vector calculus class, since I felt many things were skipped and not talked about in my class. I enjoyed that the course encourages you to do derivations and practice by yourself, however, I felt certain problems should have been talked about in the lectures.Vector calculus is a course that deserves more than 4 weeks, however I can understand the time requirements. So overall, the course is good but you will need other resources to fully understand some problems and derivations. For someone like me who was never introduced to Kronecker Delta, Levi Cevita and many many derivations, this was a rewarding but challenging course.

By Sarah K

Aug 20, 2020

All in all well-run class. Videos were for the most part clear and well-diagrammed, and organized in a way that made sense. Got a good sense of the basics of vector calculus, since we used divergence/curl etc in problems repeatedly after we learned them.

Several sections relied on outside knowledge - for example, the applications to electric/magnetic fields, particularly in the fourth week, was really hard to understand for someone with only a Calc 2 background.

By Peter B

Aug 16, 2020

This class was a very interesting class, but that may be due more to the fact that I am very interested in math than to anything the instructor did. However, I would have appreciated if this class went into more depth about the more abstract, mathematical side of vector calculus, instead of being so laser-focused on practical applications.

By Andrew D

A difficult course, especially week 3. Two lectures - 24 minutes - on line and surface integrals over vector fields is just not long enough - needs more intuition. I can recommend Clark Brays multivariable calculus book for the intuition. Still not sure how I scraped a pass - worth doing though and thoroughly enjoyed as always.

By Saman M

Jul 09, 2020

Lectures and accompanying pdf notes are clear, but proofs are sketchy. More worked examples would be helpful (perhaps in the accompanying pdf with solutions). Requires a solid background in linear algebra and calculus. Worth taking, particularly if you want to review this material.

By Idorenyin U I

Jul 14, 2020

The beginning was easy and seemed that the rest of the course would be easy, but as you keep on, it gets tougher and harder and only the tough can keep going untill you get to a point where it becomes easy once more to you.

By Jose R F

Apr 22, 2020

Some additional time for some concepts would be needed, but in general, a really interesting course. Learnt some new "things" that I hardly knew from my old studies. Congratulations to you too for the course.