Back to Vector Calculus for Engineers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Vector Calculus for Engineers by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

We cover both basic theory and applications. In the first week we learn about scalar and vector fields, in the second week about differentiating fields, in the third week about integrating fields. The fourth week covers the fundamental theorems of vector calculus, including the gradient theorem, the divergence theorem and Stokes’ theorem. These theorems are needed in core engineering subjects such as Electromagnetism and Fluid Mechanics. Instead of Vector Calculus, some universities might call this course Multivariable or Multivariate Calculus or Calculus 3. Two semesters of single variable calculus (differentiation and integration) are a prerequisite. The course is organized into 42 short lecture videos, with a few problems to solve following each video. And after each substantial topic, there is a short practice quiz. Solutions to the problems and practice quizzes can be found in instructor-provided lecture notes. There are a total of four weeks to the course, and at the end of each week there is an assessed quiz. Lecture notes can be downloaded from http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/vector-calculus-for-engineers.pdf...

DK

May 23, 2020

i have completed Three courses of Professor Jeffrey. I'm so happy that i learnt a lot from him. Thanks to our professor Jeffrey and thanks to The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

AO

Aug 02, 2020

This course is very well organized and well explained. I am very much thankful to Prof Jeffrey R. Chasnov for his fruitful videos which help us to update our knowledge in this area.

26 - 50 of 200 Reviews for Vector Calculus for Engineers

By Timur C

Lectures notes came very handy, a lot of good stuff there. Prof. Chasnov compresess information to the core essentials so i recommend using some complementory material as you pass his course. Overall great experience looking forward for his diff equations course!

By KEVIN A C M

Aug 29, 2020

It is a good course of vector calculus, but I think it is helpful mainly for students who have already taken this course before. Overall, I enjoyed this course. (Sorry if my writing has some mistakes, English is not my native language).

By Weli R R

Aug 11, 2020

i really enjoyed the course as it was explained to my detailed understanding. i learned a lot from this course as a mathematics student. Thank you for this great lecture. my name is Rikenga Weli and i am a student of covenant univeristy.

By Stephen M

Aug 14, 2020

Well presented; concise with examples; suitable for Physics undergrads in addition to Engineering students; the extensive PDF "book" with everything from the lectures + practice quizzes and worked answers makes an invaluable resource.

By Holger W

Jul 28, 2020

Very good course, clear explanations, helpful examples and exercises and on top an excellent tutorial!

Trainer is very good in explaining these mathematical concepts. One of the best online courses I came across so far :-)

By Vishwajeet V K

The content is excellent for a four week course. The technique of delivery is awesome. Learner doesn't lose interest at any point. It also gives insights about the application of the multi-variable calculus.

By Dr.J.Uma

Jun 01, 2020

This course was very useful and In a very short duration this subject covers all important aspects. We could understand it very easily because of the clear and easy explanation from the expert instructor

By Dr. A K

May 23, 2020

By Hayyim D R R

Sep 28, 2020

This course help me to understand a lot of problems on three dimensions, I'm from Mexico, and I study Computer Engineering, I will recommend this course to my classmates and friends.

By Agbo J O

Aug 02, 2020

By OGEGE O C

Jun 28, 2020

THE LECTURER WAS SO AMAZING AND EVEN THOUGH I WASN'T IN A FACE TO FACE REAL LIFE CLASS WITH HIM, EVERYTHING WAS STILL DETAILED LIKE A REAL CLASSROOM SETTING WOULD HAVE BEEN

By UMAR T

Feb 16, 2020

Excellent Instructor. He well explained all the concepts. The problems related to stokes theorem, divergence theorem, Maxwell's Equations were challenging.

By Miguel N

Sep 28, 2020

It was an awesome experience, and learning all about the practical application of vectors has broadened my mind. Great videos! Easy t understand.

By Harshil k

Jun 10, 2020

This course is very good at understanding vector calculus . I like this course and hope instructor will be with many more interesting courses.

By A Y M E S

Aug 29, 2020

It was a great experience to gather some applicable and useful knowledge in vector calculus. Obviously it will help in my engineering career.

By Om P

Jul 22, 2020

The course syllabus is well planned, the tests and quizzes were challenging and Prof Chasnov was excellent in explaining all those concepts!

By Harsh U

Jul 04, 2020

thank you sir ... it was amazing for me. Few concepts are new for me and course is very important for the bachelor of engineering students.

By Po-Ya H

Apr 24, 2020

I enjoy the course, especially the way the instructor dives into complicated concepts and terminologies with clear and simple examples.

By Egere W N

Jul 22, 2020

Prof. Jeff Chasnov is a true professor indeed. I came into his class clueless and I leave fulfilled. Thanks so much for everything.

By ABHAY H K

The course has helped me understand and apply my knowledge of Vector Calculus. Hope to take more courses by the same tutor.

By Claudia I M L

Sep 20, 2020

I really loved this course because the professor is a good person who teach very well and I learned more than I thought

By Kowshik D

Aug 18, 2020

Very well designed course. The supplementary notes really helped to get through the entire course. Thank you.

By Ruslan K

Mar 03, 2020

Another good course from prof. Chasnov. Good choice if you want to refresh your knowledge of Vector Calculus.

By Joseph J

Apr 27, 2020

I used khan academy as a base then this course just solidified the concepts to prepare for Tensor calculus

By Manaswini K

Jun 02, 2020

I thoroughly Enjoyed this Course..it is really very useful

Thank you for great course on vector calculus