Back to Vector Calculus for Engineers

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Vector Calculus for Engineers by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

We cover both basic theory and applications. In the first week we learn about scalar and vector fields, in the second week about differentiating fields, in the third week about integrating fields. The fourth week covers the fundamental theorems of vector calculus, including the gradient theorem, the divergence theorem and Stokes’ theorem. These theorems are needed in core engineering subjects such as Electromagnetism and Fluid Mechanics. Instead of Vector Calculus, some universities might call this course Multivariable or Multivariate Calculus or Calculus 3. Two semesters of single variable calculus (differentiation and integration) are a prerequisite. The course is organized into 42 short lecture videos, with a few problems to solve following each video. And after each substantial topic, there is a short practice quiz. Solutions to the problems and practice quizzes can be found in instructor-provided lecture notes. There are a total of four weeks to the course, and at the end of each week there is an assessed quiz. Lecture notes can be downloaded from http://www.math.ust.hk/~machas/vector-calculus-for-engineers.pdf...

DK
May 22, 2020

i have completed Three courses of Professor Jeffrey. I'm so happy that i learnt a lot from him. Thanks to our professor Jeffrey and thanks to The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

AO
Aug 1, 2020

This course is very well organized and well explained. I am very much thankful to Prof Jeffrey R. Chasnov for his fruitful videos which help us to update our knowledge in this area.

176 - 200 of 221 Reviews for Vector Calculus for Engineers

By Naga M G

Jun 6, 2020

GOOD

By Deepika V

Good

By Naveen P

Good

By Rodrigo T T

By 程铁杰

Mar 15, 2020

cool

By Mohammed S

I

By Pablo L

Jun 8, 2020

I took the course as complementary material to my vector calculus class, since I felt many things were skipped and not talked about in my class. I enjoyed that the course encourages you to do derivations and practice by yourself, however, I felt certain problems should have been talked about in the lectures.Vector calculus is a course that deserves more than 4 weeks, however I can understand the time requirements. So overall, the course is good but you will need other resources to fully understand some problems and derivations. For someone like me who was never introduced to Kronecker Delta, Levi Cevita and many many derivations, this was a rewarding but challenging course.

By Sarah K

Aug 20, 2020

All in all well-run class. Videos were for the most part clear and well-diagrammed, and organized in a way that made sense. Got a good sense of the basics of vector calculus, since we used divergence/curl etc in problems repeatedly after we learned them.

Several sections relied on outside knowledge - for example, the applications to electric/magnetic fields, particularly in the fourth week, was really hard to understand for someone with only a Calc 2 background.

By Peter B

Aug 16, 2020

This class was a very interesting class, but that may be due more to the fact that I am very interested in math than to anything the instructor did. However, I would have appreciated if this class went into more depth about the more abstract, mathematical side of vector calculus, instead of being so laser-focused on practical applications.

By Andrew D

A difficult course, especially week 3. Two lectures - 24 minutes - on line and surface integrals over vector fields is just not long enough - needs more intuition. I can recommend Clark Brays multivariable calculus book for the intuition. Still not sure how I scraped a pass - worth doing though and thoroughly enjoyed as always.

By Saman M

Jul 9, 2020

Lectures and accompanying pdf notes are clear, but proofs are sketchy. More worked examples would be helpful (perhaps in the accompanying pdf with solutions). Requires a solid background in linear algebra and calculus. Worth taking, particularly if you want to review this material.

By Idorenyin U I

Jul 14, 2020

The beginning was easy and seemed that the rest of the course would be easy, but as you keep on, it gets tougher and harder and only the tough can keep going untill you get to a point where it becomes easy once more to you.

By Jose R F

Apr 22, 2020

Some additional time for some concepts would be needed, but in general, a really interesting course. Learnt some new "things" that I hardly knew from my old studies. Congratulations to you too for the course.

By Usman E G

Aug 4, 2020

It was a hard course for me, I don't think the math I did in high school was foundational enough for me to understand this course. I suggest doing some fundamental math courses before attempting this course.

By Hayford A A

Jul 11, 2020

The quizzes and the practice quizzes were a bit challenging. I feel like the videos need more explanations that can help understand some problems in the quizzes. But in all I felt challenged to learn more.

By Kodi O

Jul 18, 2020

It was great, the professor did a great job in explanation, but at the same time, he didn't explain further with examples for some topics which made it really challenging for me to understand.

By Abir M

Jul 25, 2020

Very good course with difficult problems. Very good instructor. Needs to provide a bit more geometric intuition to the sections involving vector integral calculus.

By Jose R H P

Apr 13, 2020

prof. Chasnov explains really goodand all the topics are presented in a well structured way. I wouldn't recommend this course for learn vector calculus from zero

By Srivatsan R

May 4, 2020

Great course all around. Just one suggestion would be to solve at least 1 example of each type of theorem if possible as it makes problem solving much easier.

By Anyiam O O

Jul 9, 2020

It was a very educating course on various theorems, proof of laws, various subtopics on integration and differentiation. I would highly recommend the course.

By Peter B

Mar 9, 2020

A well thought out and organized course. A great tool to refresh or learn vector calculus and more importantly it's uses in engineering fields.

By Alejandro M

Jul 15, 2020

A short and very complete course of vector calculus, it takes the most important thing to be seen in almost a month.

By KARTHIK

Jul 16, 2020

It was challenging to study vector calculus for futher complicated engineering. Made very useful for furthur.

By Jeremiah Z W

Oct 4, 2020

Given the imposed time constraint, it is a well taught course on multivariable calculus.

By Jayadeep U B

Nov 12, 2020

Contents of fourth week can be expanded into two weeks and covered in more detail.