Back to World Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for World Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

4.4

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

SA

Sep 21, 2019

i really loved this course. it inspired me to be more innovative and think out of the box. it changed my mindset a lot. so thanks to my instructor and my peers. your words meant a lot to me.

TT

Feb 07, 2018

The videos are nice and clear, and I love seeing examples for the homework, it really helped. I also loved reviewing my peers and having them review me, they had awesome ideas!

1 - 25 of 132 Reviews for World Design for Video Games

By Gianmarco D

Nov 01, 2017

The assignments are ok and the material too, the fact is the course is basically dead, as I have no possibility to let others review my work (reviewed 6 people during week 2 and got nobody reviewing my work, misteriously, even though I submitted three days before the due time). This is a serious problem as paying learners (as I am) risk having to switch session and to pay more, with their learning plans destroyed. Also, there is no moderator, no instructor, no staff member, I'm the only one surfing the forums, and the course content is a pack of advices without a structured form and solidity. Hope Coursera and CalArts staff do something to rekindle this course as it could be really awesome.

By Carlo S C

Oct 12, 2016

A very poor course. The teacher just ask questions in order to stimulate students, but doesn't teach anything. Incorrect terminology (Ah-ah? Please, study Aaron Allston works before inventing other words).

Test are cool.

By Ran C

Jan 23, 2019

I'm not a effective learner so I can't get much from it, but I certainly learn some rules for building world, I would review these contents some days, thank you so much for your teaching!

By 刘树宇

Oct 03, 2016

This course is very good and you can learn a lot of knowledge.Then you can design a better game.

By Eduardo G L L

Oct 02, 2016

Amazing course to get ideas for your world designs

By Jessica H

Jun 23, 2017

Great course to think of the world you want to create and its limitations.

The plus? You don't have to know how to code or to draw well! (I did all my assignments on Paint and my characters were basically stick figures)

The most important is to think of your world, its structure, its boundaries, and the way your characters interact within it.

By Aron A

Oct 18, 2016

Great course! A lot of new and useful stuff. I really enjoyed another part of Game Design: Art and Concepts Specialization. Keep up the great work, guys!

By Jahleel K B

Aug 21, 2017

The best!

By Dustin C

Dec 05, 2015

Great class! Eye opening.

By whipexx

Mar 07, 2016

I loved this course.

By Rodrigo E

May 26, 2016

it's Fun and worth the time

By Valery

Nov 09, 2017

Very informative

By Sarah-Louise H

Mar 26, 2017

Great course!

By Quinn W

Jun 23, 2017

Wonderful course! Not a lot of theoretical information, but many, many great practical ideas to get a great world started.

Thank you so much for your willingness to do this MOOC. What an enlightening experience!

By 梁爽

Jan 19, 2018

So nice.

By Umair R

Aug 08, 2016

I m loving it

By José D A

Jan 27, 2016

I learned a lot in this course, it was very helpful. World design is key to defining your game.

By Yassine R E F

Jan 13, 2016

Learnt a lot. Thanks

By Jessica W

Dec 15, 2016

Definitely a challenging course but I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot!

By Tatum T

Feb 07, 2018

By Lin J

Jun 05, 2016

The course material provide good reference and study for world design.

By 受 常

Aug 02, 2017

太棒拉

By Sergey K

Jan 18, 2016

Interesting and easily understandable! Thank you!

By Álvaro B F

Aug 30, 2016

A totally great course that makes clear the concepts we should be careful with when developing video games.

By Licinio S