Back to World Design for Video Games

World Design for Video Games, California Institute of the Arts

4.4

About this Course

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

By TT

Feb 07, 2018

The videos are nice and clear, and I love seeing examples for the homework, it really helped. I also loved reviewing my peers and having them review me, they had awesome ideas!

By PS

Jun 03, 2016

Very nice curso, with very good details about how to create a very imaginative world design for your game! Really recomend to everyone that wants to create videogames!

119 Reviews

By Julian Arroyave

Oct 30, 2018

You could improve it a little more making the videos more dynamic.

By V.B.Srevarshan

Oct 09, 2018

My personal area of interest in games has always been game design, level design, character design, story writing and world design. When I found this course, I thought it would involve a lot of art work and 3D modelling. I am not so artistic, but when I started to watch videos and complete assignments, it gave me a lot of confidence. It also motivated me to improve my artwork after I completed the course. I learnt three things - 1) first and foremost describe your world in theory with all the intricate details 2) don't create your game world from void, seek inspiration for art from other games or media 3) proceed with the art work and 3D modelling

By Ruaan Grobler

Sep 19, 2018

Too basic. Feels like it could've been one lesson but it was cut and stretched over 4 weeks because in this specialization we pay for time, not content. I could learn as much from a Ted talk or similar.

By Breanne Carlson

Sep 07, 2018

This instructor is incredibly difficult to listen to, his cadence and non-neutral accent make it a conscious effort to focus on what he's saying rather than how he says it. If you're uncomfortable in front of a camera, that's fine, just team up with someone who can present your material on your behalf; this is why we can collaborate with others to whom our strengths compliment one another. I highly advise that Théo take a second pass at the video content with a colleague who is comfortable in front of a camera and has a neutral speaking voice, as I'm finding that I am absorbing little to no content (which is rather counterproductive) unless I pause the video and simply read the transcript.

By Ricardo Rambarran

Aug 21, 2018

Not a very interesting course. The material all revolved around finding art online and never really getting a solid foundation for creating a real world for video games.

By Zheng Lixing

Jun 28, 2018

cool class, I`ve learned some principles to create game world from this class

By Daniel Alejandro Aguilar Gonzalez

Jun 28, 2018

Having to identify what makes other worlds interesting is really helping me focus on what makes my game interesting. I Really do think this course helped me out a lot as I was struggling to land ideas into a concrete explanation. Thanks a lot for the course.

By Nuno Filipe Alexandre Carapito

Jun 24, 2018

Substitles are bad, it's hard to understand most of the times what is being said. Also, the narration could be better

By Mustafa Ali Khan

May 21, 2018

The lessons were pretty well designed and the material was sufficient, but (not meant to be rude) it was a bit distracting when the tutor pronounced and accented the words a bit weirdly. Nevertheless, great course.

By Ekaterina Shabunina

Apr 05, 2018

Very bad lectures: very hard to understand the lecturer (very bad english), no material/knowledge shared only a lot of unanswered hypothetical questions brought up.