Back to World Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for World Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

4.4

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

SA
Sep 20, 2019

i really loved this course. it inspired me to be more innovative and think out of the box. it changed my mindset a lot. so thanks to my instructor and my peers. your words meant a lot to me.

JK
Sep 10, 2020

This is a fantastic course to run your imagination to it's top! You can built your own game world and show it to other students. The learning curve is definitely improving with this course!

51 - 75 of 158 Reviews for World Design for Video Games

By Eduardo A G L L

Oct 2, 2016

Amazing course to get ideas for your world designs

By Sergey K

Jan 18, 2016

Interesting and easily understandable! Thank you!

By Barnabás N

Feb 25, 2016

Pretty great course for a total beginner!

By Elisabeth F

Feb 9, 2016

Great content and great assignments !

By Ghiath L

Nov 30, 2020

Awesome eye opener and inspiring.

By Alejandro M G M

Oct 31, 2017

Beautiful. : 3 Really enjoyed it

By Iryna M

Feb 9, 2016

Very interesting! Thank you!

By Perry H Y X

Nov 3, 2020

Théotime is inspirational !

By Rodrigo E

May 26, 2016

it's Fun and worth the time

By Alisson P G d S

Mar 25, 2016

explanation of fundamenals

By Dustin C

Dec 5, 2015

Great class! Eye opening.

By Liliya G