Back to World Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for World Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

4.4

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

SA

Sep 21, 2019

i really loved this course. it inspired me to be more innovative and think out of the box. it changed my mindset a lot. so thanks to my instructor and my peers. your words meant a lot to me.

RC

Jan 23, 2019

I'm not a effective learner so I can't get much from it, but I certainly learn some rules for building world, I would review these contents some days, thank you so much for your teaching!

76 - 100 of 132 Reviews for World Design for Video Games

By Farnoud F

Jan 30, 2016

Compare to Last Course in this Specialization this course lacked the good pace through the assignments, they were out of pace or out of tune, and also there were mostly general talks more than tips to make the student get in to the flow and create a better work, All in All it was Great but compared to the course before it, it had issues :D

By Bojan P

Mar 11, 2016

Even though it is a great course by itself, I have to look at it as a part of the whole specialization, and in that context it's just a little bit more abstract and undefined than the previous ones.

All in all, great course and fantastic specialization for now.

By Ethan A

Oct 15, 2019

It is often hard to hear what the lecturer is saying because of his thick accent but his information is very informative and useful. It helped me understand my worlds better. Recommend, but I do say you should look at the subtitles below the video sometimes.

By Mustafa A K

May 21, 2018

The lessons were pretty well designed and the material was sufficient, but (not meant to be rude) it was a bit distracting when the tutor pronounced and accented the words a bit weirdly. Nevertheless, great course.

By E. C C

Aug 14, 2017

Really enjoyed this class. I am a very visual person and this class was much more fun and a bit easier as I could express my ideas visually much more easily than If I had to write everything down.

By 王恺越

Dec 19, 2017

The assignments are great but the videos don't seem well organized for me. They are just a bunch of tips for world designing and are not systematic.

By Juan D M

May 16, 2016

Very intresting and fun, learned a lot. I just wish there´d be more examples of finished designers worlds and how they look like.

By Juan J Á S

Jan 28, 2016

The teacher is a litlle abstract. Maybe he would improve himself if he would give more tangible things, as methods.

By Fabricio N B

Jan 02, 2016

I really enjoyed the course.

Opened my eyes for many things that I didn't gave much though while design my games.

By Lu M

Feb 20, 2017

The teacher guided us to the basic of game world design. Give us the material of how to design the game world.

By Diego

Feb 01, 2017

Very useful to develop worlds and enviroments, not only for videogames, but for all kind of media.

By Juan C L R

Jun 17, 2019

I very basic, I would like to learn how to create a deeper world but still I loved the course

By SFUA

Sep 01, 2016

Contents were short and great but some tools and practicle s/w should be introduced in it.

By sebastian c

Nov 28, 2015

i really like the material, i feel that i learning the basic of video game development

By Alex M

Nov 17, 2016

Good course content. However, the classes feel a little short for such a long topic.

By Zheng L

Jun 28, 2018

cool class, I`ve learned some principles to create game world from this class

By Julian A

Oct 30, 2018

You could improve it a little more making the videos more dynamic.

By Aaron S

Dec 18, 2015

I had good assignments, but less content than I expected.

By Deiverson J L d S

Mar 23, 2017

Excelent! But I miss the interaction with the teacher.

By Petros K

Dec 03, 2015

great and informative course :) really enjoyed it

By Zineb B

Jun 03, 2017

Really valuable and informative course.

By Ahmed A E M

Jul 20, 2017

it is useful but very very basics

By Muhammad U

Apr 10, 2017

Simply Awesome.

By Francois B

Nov 23, 2015

I am all for short videos but here it is a little bit too short... Tehchnically there is about 1h of videos for the 4 weeks of this course and no real documentations to review.

Hence you get few pointers on how to design game wold for video games and really case studies in my opinion... A full review of one or two games would have been a great addition.

By Deborah M M

Dec 10, 2015

Short, simplistic. Could be done in a week. Very much a beginner's course for those who have not mindfully observed the game worlds in which they play. The student may come away with a few new ideas and the greatest value is in having peers review the homework assignments. Worth the time, if you quickly breeze through it.