Back to World Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for World Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

4.4

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

SA
Sep 20, 2019

i really loved this course. it inspired me to be more innovative and think out of the box. it changed my mindset a lot. so thanks to my instructor and my peers. your words meant a lot to me.

JK
Sep 10, 2020

This is a fantastic course to run your imagination to it's top! You can built your own game world and show it to other students. The learning curve is definitely improving with this course!

126 - 150 of 181 Reviews for World Design for Video Games

By Mario S

Jul 21, 2020

Great course! I love how they bring techniques and concepts from other disciplines like gardening, teacher, and ballet that are super useful for world and level design.

By 王恺越

Dec 18, 2017

The assignments are great but the videos don't seem well organized for me. They are just a bunch of tips for world designing and are not systematic.

By Juan D M

May 16, 2016

Very intresting and fun, learned a lot. I just wish there´d be more examples of finished designers worlds and how they look like.

By Emil M

Oct 13, 2021

It's a pretty great course, it shows the basics of worldbuing and from there we can start exploring the deepness of this topic.

By juan j á s

Jan 28, 2016

The teacher is a litlle abstract. Maybe he would improve himself if he would give more tangible things, as methods.

By Regina P

Jul 1, 2020

The only problem are the peer reviews; most of the time I only receive one word reviews, or no criticism at all.

By Fabricio N B

Jan 2, 2016

I really enjoyed the course.

Opened my eyes for many things that I didn't gave much though while design my games.

By Lu M

Feb 20, 2017

The teacher guided us to the basic of game world design. Give us the material of how to design the game world.

By Diego

Feb 1, 2017

Very useful to develop worlds and enviroments, not only for videogames, but for all kind of media.

By Haniya H

Aug 23, 2021

This was a best course , well explained and made me learn a new skill hank you soo much calarts

By Juan C L R

Jun 17, 2019

I very basic, I would like to learn how to create a deeper world but still I loved the course

By SFUA

Sep 1, 2016

Contents were short and great but some tools and practicle s/w should be introduced in it.

By sebastian c

Nov 28, 2015

i really like the material, i feel that i learning the basic of video game development

By Alex M

Nov 17, 2016

Good course content. However, the classes feel a little short for such a long topic.

By Zheng L

Jun 28, 2018

cool class, I`ve learned some principles to create game world from this class

By Julian A

Oct 29, 2018

You could improve it a little more making the videos more dynamic.

By Aaron S

Dec 18, 2015

I had good assignments, but less content than I expected.

By Deiverson

Mar 23, 2017

Excelent! But I miss the interaction with the teacher.

By Jatin G

Jun 26, 2020

Great course, really helped me shape my game world.

By Petros K

Dec 3, 2015

great and informative course :) really enjoyed it

By Zineb B

Jun 3, 2017

Really valuable and informative course.

By Ahmed E

Jul 20, 2017

it is useful but very very basics

By Muhammad U