Back to World Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for World Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

4.4

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

SA

Sep 21, 2019

i really loved this course. it inspired me to be more innovative and think out of the box. it changed my mindset a lot. so thanks to my instructor and my peers. your words meant a lot to me.

JK

Sep 11, 2020

This is a fantastic course to run your imagination to it's top! You can built your own game world and show it to other students. The learning curve is definitely improving with this course!

101 - 125 of 149 Reviews for World Design for Video Games

By Alex M

Nov 17, 2016

Good course content. However, the classes feel a little short for such a long topic.

By Zheng L

Jun 28, 2018

cool class, I`ve learned some principles to create game world from this class

By Julian A

Oct 30, 2018

You could improve it a little more making the videos more dynamic.

By Aaron S

Dec 18, 2015

I had good assignments, but less content than I expected.

By Deiverson J L d S

Mar 23, 2017

Excelent! But I miss the interaction with the teacher.

By Jatin G

Jun 26, 2020

Great course, really helped me shape my game world.

By Petros K

Dec 03, 2015

great and informative course :) really enjoyed it

By Zineb B

Jun 03, 2017

Really valuable and informative course.

By Ahmed A E M

Jul 20, 2017

it is useful but very very basics

By Muhammad U

Apr 10, 2017

Simply Awesome.

By Mehar S

Apr 22, 2020

good

By Francois B

Nov 23, 2015

I am all for short videos but here it is a little bit too short... Tehchnically there is about 1h of videos for the 4 weeks of this course and no real documentations to review.

Hence you get few pointers on how to design game wold for video games and really case studies in my opinion... A full review of one or two games would have been a great addition.

By Deborah M M

Dec 10, 2015

Short, simplistic. Could be done in a week. Very much a beginner's course for those who have not mindfully observed the game worlds in which they play. The student may come away with a few new ideas and the greatest value is in having peers review the homework assignments. Worth the time, if you quickly breeze through it.

By David M

Oct 11, 2019

There are are very useful tips and ideas in this class and I appreciated completing the assignments. I have a much better vision of my game world now than I did beforehand. However, the pace and vocabulary of the teacher was at times confusing or redundant, making the process of taking notes much more complicated.

By Travis A

Oct 19, 2016

The content from the instructor is very, very brief. Maybe this is just a simple introduction course but it also seems like the topics are covered in a very vague, abstract way with little exploration on a deeper level. The assignments are really good though, great projects for sparking the creative process.

By Marcus J

Aug 01, 2020

It's adequate for learning world-building concepts, though it doesn't really go into what makes the process different in video games until the last assignment. Be advised: the instructor has a thick accent that makes it hard to understand him at times.

By André W L O

Aug 22, 2017

to me, this course was a little obvious... one thing here, other there... it is not a bad course... but I expected a little more...

about the teacher, he is good, I like it (4 stars)... but the content is very "lightweight".

By Chandan B

Jun 12, 2017

The course is good for learning how to organize and visualize, however I was expecting some sketching assignments also. Such kind of assignment which actually helps the learner draw together a world bit by bit.

By Karl C R

Jan 12, 2016

Easy to follow and well-packed with good information and tips, but I would like to see some kind of quiz-function along the course to test the knowledge I've been learning.

By Francisco N

Dec 28, 2015

The course is fun but the content is too general. I like to know more methods and technics to develop a game world, considering genres, mechanics and gameplay options.

By Naila Z W

Jun 03, 2020

The instructure has language barrier and its making hard to understand, but week 2 and 3 and 4 has some really great homeworks and enlightment

By Juan C D M

Dec 24, 2015

The course is ok, but it doesn't give any certificate of completition for free users (something that many other course do give).

By Nuno F A C

Jun 24, 2018

Substitles are bad, it's hard to understand most of the times what is being said. Also, the narration could be better

By Andrey K

Dec 21, 2015

I wish the course would give me more structured information and examples of applications.

By Alvaro M

May 24, 2016

The assignments and theory are interesting enough to get you started on world design.