Back to World Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for World Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

4.4

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

SA

Sep 21, 2019

i really loved this course. it inspired me to be more innovative and think out of the box. it changed my mindset a lot. so thanks to my instructor and my peers. your words meant a lot to me.

RC

Jan 23, 2019

I'm not a effective learner so I can't get much from it, but I certainly learn some rules for building world, I would review these contents some days, thank you so much for your teaching!

101 - 125 of 132 Reviews for World Design for Video Games

By David M

Oct 11, 2019

There are are very useful tips and ideas in this class and I appreciated completing the assignments. I have a much better vision of my game world now than I did beforehand. However, the pace and vocabulary of the teacher was at times confusing or redundant, making the process of taking notes much more complicated.

By Travis A

Oct 19, 2016

The content from the instructor is very, very brief. Maybe this is just a simple introduction course but it also seems like the topics are covered in a very vague, abstract way with little exploration on a deeper level. The assignments are really good though, great projects for sparking the creative process.

By André W L O

Aug 22, 2017

to me, this course was a little obvious... one thing here, other there... it is not a bad course... but I expected a little more...

about the teacher, he is good, I like it (4 stars)... but the content is very "lightweight".

By Chandan B

Jun 12, 2017

The course is good for learning how to organize and visualize, however I was expecting some sketching assignments also. Such kind of assignment which actually helps the learner draw together a world bit by bit.

By Karl C R

Jan 12, 2016

Easy to follow and well-packed with good information and tips, but I would like to see some kind of quiz-function along the course to test the knowledge I've been learning.

By Francisco N

Dec 28, 2015

The course is fun but the content is too general. I like to know more methods and technics to develop a game world, considering genres, mechanics and gameplay options.

By Juan C D M

Dec 24, 2015

The course is ok, but it doesn't give any certificate of completition for free users (something that many other course do give).

By Nuno F A C

Jun 24, 2018

Substitles are bad, it's hard to understand most of the times what is being said. Also, the narration could be better

By Andrey K

Dec 21, 2015

I wish the course would give me more structured information and examples of applications.

By Alvaro M

May 24, 2016

The assignments and theory are interesting enough to get you started on world design.

By Jaime R

Dec 22, 2015

Useful but as with the first course of the specialization very light on content

By Aditya z

Jun 30, 2019

getting a review in the peer grade assignment is so time cosuming

By Daniel H G

Feb 06, 2016

it's okay,

By Amshumaan R

May 30, 2016

Unlike the other two lecturers in this course, this module's lecture is very very bad. I always felt like coming back and learning more with the other two lectures but with this one I had to force myself to complete the lessons. First of all his English is bad, sometimes you cant understand what he means even with subtitles. He repeats many things through out the course and he tries to teach by asking questions all the time. As a guy who takes and make his own notes, I found it really difficult to put together a sentence he was saying. It seems that nobody proof read his lectures before posting it on coursera. I feel that it was done blindly and in a rushed way. If possible can you please change the videos and also the script. Please make it more understandable.

By sean o

Jul 21, 2017

I found the videos hard to follow and the homework was not very clear or particularly engaging. I think the other courses had a much better framework to understand the topic. I still don't know what are the key elements of a game world or how to judge if one world is good or bad or why it is good or bad.

By Alexandra

Dec 15, 2015

I was a little bit dissapointed with this course because, in my opinion, it is not structured well, it is just an amount of questions we need to think about. It has ended but I have the feeling I still have no good idea about what is world design for video games...

By Ruaan G

Sep 19, 2018

Too basic. Feels like it could've been one lesson but it was cut and stretched over 4 weeks because in this specialization we pay for time, not content. I could learn as much from a Ted talk or similar.

By Felegz

Dec 19, 2015

I did not found this course much useful. I expected more detailed examples of worldbuilding, but talks were quite vague and unspecific. "Sit think about this, go learn about that".

By Ricardo R

Aug 21, 2018

Not a very interesting course. The material all revolved around finding art online and never really getting a solid foundation for creating a real world for video games.

By Milos J

Apr 24, 2016

Very poor content. Everything is already said in last courses in this specialization. Also they didnt gave any techniques or tips how to easier create game worlds

By Cary M K

Mar 20, 2019

The lectures did not always fully relate to the assignments. It often felt like the instructor was rambling rather than teaching.

By Joshua B

Jun 27, 2017

This course didn't interest me very much. I now know about maps of world design, one more facet to video game development.

By レヷブレート サ

May 15, 2016

articulation needs to be improved, talked too fast, content doesn't give much

By mayank s

Feb 16, 2016

The course is very abstract.

By Pawel S