Back to World Design for Video Games

Learner Reviews & Feedback for World Design for Video Games by California Institute of the Arts

4.4

Start creating your world. A game world is not just a backdrop for your game—be it minimal or detailed, contained or part of a much bigger universe, it provides the context for your player. Ultimately, a game world should feel alive and wholly unique to any player who will experience it. In this course, we will explore game worlds in existing games and study the art and influences that inform their themes and styles. We will also investigate key components of environment and level design as well as strategies designers use to define gameplay or advance it. We’ll also look at navigation and the elements that make your world as real (or unreal) as you want it to be. A weekly challenge will prompt you to explore styles and inspirations for possible game worlds, and you’ll learn effective ways to communicate your ideas from concepts to presentation-worthy proofs of concept....

SA

Sep 21, 2019

i really loved this course. it inspired me to be more innovative and think out of the box. it changed my mindset a lot. so thanks to my instructor and my peers. your words meant a lot to me.

RC

Jan 23, 2019

I'm not a effective learner so I can't get much from it, but I certainly learn some rules for building world, I would review these contents some days, thank you so much for your teaching!

26 - 50 of 132 Reviews for World Design for Video Games

By José D A

Jan 27, 2016

I learned a lot in this course, it was very helpful. World design is key to defining your game.

By Christopher M

Dec 13, 2016

This course was amazing and great. I loved it. It helped me so much with my own project :D

By Jennifer C

Dec 27, 2015

Fantastic course - doing the assignments forces you to really think about your game world.

By 万锦阳

May 04, 2017

I really like it! It helped me to established the abilities to create a game-world.

By Ionut M C

May 07, 2019

A must-have. Love it so much. Great instructor, really passionate about the topic.

By Jessica W

Dec 15, 2016

Definitely a challenging course but I enjoyed it very much and learned a lot!

By Wallace N O

Jan 20, 2016

an awesome course.... each one is being better than the last... fantastic!

By Tata D

Feb 08, 2016

Good course, but there are not much useful information. It's more analytic

By Lin J

Jun 05, 2016

The course material provide good reference and study for world design.

By Jaime A

Aug 26, 2016

Gives you a lot to think about and ideas to Build! Build! Build!

By Felipe R

Oct 05, 2019

Great course, I really learn how to create a game world!

By Alex Z

Jan 19, 2016

Amazing course. I learned so much about the game world.

By Luis E

Mar 31, 2018

loved it, great resource material, and great teacher.

By Glaucio J M d C

Sep 07, 2016

Very good. Excellent teacher - I strongly recommend.

By Manav S

Sep 02, 2019

The course teaches everything regarding game design

By Eduardo G L L

Oct 02, 2016

Amazing course to get ideas for your world designs

By Sergey K

Jan 18, 2016

Interesting and easily understandable! Thank you!

By Barnabás N

Feb 25, 2016

Pretty great course for a total beginner!

By Elisabeth F

Feb 09, 2016

Great content and great assignments !

By Alejandro M G M

Oct 31, 2017

Beautiful. : 3 Really enjoyed it

By Iryna M

Feb 09, 2016

Very interesting! Thank you!

By Rodrigo E

May 26, 2016

it's Fun and worth the time

By Alisson P G d S

Mar 25, 2016

explanation of fundamenals

By Dustin C

Dec 05, 2015

Great class! Eye opening.