Back to Managing Social and Human Capital

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Managing Social and Human Capital by University of Pennsylvania

People are the most valuable asset of any business, but they are also the most unpredictable, and the most difficult asset to manage. And although managing people well is critical to the health of any organization, most managers don't get the training they need to make good management decisions. Now, award-winning authors and renowned management Professors Mike Useem and Peter Cappelli of the Wharton School have designed this course to introduce you to the key elements of managing people. Based on their popular course at Wharton, this course will teach you how to motivate individual performance and design reward systems, how to design jobs and organize work for high performance, how to make good and timely management decisions, and how to design and change your organization’s architecture. By the end of this course, you'll have developed the skills you need to start motivating, organizing, and rewarding people in your organization so that you can thrive as a business and as a social organization....

DM

Oct 20, 2018

Excellent Course. Understanding human behavior is one of the most difficult challenges in an organization. This course describes the challenges well and offers approaches to tackling those challenges.

J

Nov 05, 2019

A fantastic, thought provoking course. Gave us a lot of things to reflect on and be mindful of in different situations in the organization. Thank you Prof Cappelli and Prof Useem. Grateful to you.

1 - 25 of 230 Reviews for Managing Social and Human Capital

By Aditya A

May 26, 2018

The case studies in the course are exemplary. For an MBA student to understand the decision making process at the highest level and to gain right decision making approach this course is a must .

By Gideon S

Oct 10, 2019

Firstly, let me state that I'm very thankful for the coursework -- thank you! While both professors are quite knowledgeable, I never felt either professor was entirely invested. The course began with a caveat that this class was a deep dive rather than a formal study, which I took strong exception. In addition, the quizes were a regurgitation -- never challenging or encouraging independent thought. Both professors often alluded to what they would do in the classroom, but never made an attempt effectively to use this online teaching-medium to foster real discussion. In fairness, the material in its presentation was brief and cursory. My critique is also validated by referring to the Discussion Forum. Unlike other classes that I have taken, this Disscussion Forum was empty; no one is posting in general. HOWEVER I think that this coursework is fascinating! Therefore, something needs to be improved. Give this material the attention that it is due.

By Frank G

Apr 28, 2019

While it is great to see lectures by Peter Capelli and Mike Useem, the depth of the material stays quite at the surface. Both could go much deeper - instead the material consists of 4 weeks, each week showing videos with one of the scientists for about 60 minutes. No further reading is prepared, apart from one test at the end of each week. In comparison to other courses on coursera it is a bit disapointing, especially as the course is slightly more expensive than other, significantly more rich ones.

By Chris C

Mar 05, 2018

While I did feel there was some good material in this course, I also felt there was too much concentration on related stories, and quizzing on the stories, instead of the material itself. Hopefully this is something that can be corrected in the future, so the material can be the star instead of what sho

By Qi M

Jul 22, 2017

I don't even know what are they talking about. All the knowledges are by piece and piece. The lesson is short and I don't have any clue for the big picture of the managing human capital. Not recommended.

By Quoc-Anh V

Jun 28, 2019

Lots of fluff. The most important lesson was Autonomy, Variety, Significance, and Feedback.

By Daniel D

Aug 10, 2017

The last two modules are far too anecdotal and don't contribute much insightful theory.

By Colin M

May 08, 2017

More hands-on casework would have been beneficial.

By Imanol A

Mar 27, 2017

No structure for the course

By GYQB

Apr 09, 2018

I can’t believe I’m paying for this crap: it’s one of the worst online courses I have ever taken, as I’ve already experienced with the other courses in the Business Foundations Specialization.

Coming from a science background, I am continually disappointed at how much MEANINGLESS HOT-AIR BULLSHIT JARGON AND HAND-WAVING -- I call it "the Five-Axis MHABHJ Paradigm, which is based on 7 factors formed by 3 circles of focus" -- there is in business and how long it always takes you people to get to the point, on the very rare occasion that there is one. This entire course -- if you can call it that -- on Managing Social and Human Capital could be summarized in about 2 pages. Ten minutes to say: “organizations must adapt to change, have a clear plan, communicate it and execute it”. Wow!

The professor is monotonous, boring and drags on forever instead of being concise and direct. Moreover, many of the slides had typos on them ("shot-term", "time" instead of "timely", etc.). Lastly, don't use terms like "Chuck" (referring to Charles Schwab), when you know that there are students from around the world taking this class.

Perhaps Coursera / Wharton could offer problem-solving exercises that make students think and work, instead of just giving us fake wrote-memory quizzes that people could pass without even watching the videos (Google).

By Himanshu P

Jul 27, 2017

the content could have more streamlined. a few tidbits of useful information splattered across some of the lectures.

By Justin J

Apr 02, 2019

only a few tidbits of helpful info. compared to accounting and marketing this course is not very helpful.

By davide d l

Mar 12, 2018

Teachers present a lot of anecdotes but few real-case data

By Priyam G

Apr 08, 2017

The course was very well planned with a good number of examples to make the concepts easy to understand. The professors gave a very smooth presentation of the topics given. Even the tests at the end of each week made me go through the all the topics taught through out the week. I would suggest anyone and everyone to enroll for this course as it is not specific to the needs of a specific industry, rather it is a necessity for all members of the working population to understand the way to manage human and social capital.

By Nuno P

Dec 27, 2017

I found this course enlightening because it has basically agreed with the ideology I have been recommending my previous managers to implement. I believe many companies tend to forget that people have emotions and overwrite their opinions in any matter that affects the company. I believe, as it has been said, every employee is a crucial element of the business.

Beautiful course. And I loved the examples the presenters used.

By Christopher D

Jul 08, 2017

Pretty good course. A little bit too much on the academic side (similar to other courses in this specialization). The reason this is a problem is that this course is supposed to be able to be taken by individuals with no previous business experience. High level business concepts and terminology at times will confuse lay people. All in all a good course though, many insightful stories. Strategic intent... amazing concept.

By Ameya P J

Sep 11, 2018

This was my first academic exposure to HR management and I found the course to be a good overview of the largely pursued subject. The content is not exhaustive and could have covered a few more case studies to give different perspectives on the same subject matter. I would recommend this course for any newcomer to the field of HR management as a motivational introduction.

By Diane S

Nov 07, 2019

This is an essential component for any MBA. You will be managing people and they are the second most costly asset. I would like to see a deeper dive in phycology and a broader view of compensation. With it being consolidated, it doesn't give you quite enough. I will be taking another deeper dive in another course online to full-fill this need.

By Varun V P

Oct 22, 2018

Both the professors were amazing in their delivery of content! The content was brief but very relevant to the course, the examples and case studies discussed were also really good! One of the best online courses I've taken till date. Although I'd wish there was some more content/assignment in the form of case studies etc.

By Saikat G

Sep 06, 2019

This course provides a great insight into the basics of efficient management of Human capital - as humans/people are the only factor of production with legal rights so management of human resources becomes a vital issue along with social norms attached to it.

All in all, a very good course to build a foundation.

By shohail A

Mar 06, 2017

Professor Capelli and Professor Useem laid out a very stimulating conversation through the lectures. Things that I learned will stay with me forever. Learning from real life examples made more sense. Highly recommend to anyone who is looking for an quick guidance to Managing Social and Human Capital.

By Mochammad F A

Jan 04, 2020

This course very essentials and important for me, it is hone my leadership view and mindset. The course contains proven practical research that I found this is very applicable in real-life challenges. All the case that taught in this course really relevant with leadership and business world.

By Luis G A P

Sep 21, 2019

Amazing course regarding how to lead people, developing traits, and how our decision-making process has an impact on those we lead. The best topic that I liked was regarding the training - in companion with the marines - of Wharton students to make decisions with little information.

By Christine W

Jul 07, 2019

This was a really succinct course to help jump-start dealing with people in orgs regardless of level of mgt. For myself, I will use it to as a corporate trainer to help assess, motivate and generate confidence in my decision-making abilities among my students.

By Carlos M A H

Aug 24, 2017

It was a very interesting course. Much of what you learn is about fix capital but organizations are constitute of people whose actions are not as rational as we sometimes thought. Understand the ways in which you can lead organizational change is a key element.