Back to Wonders of Ancient Egypt

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wonders of Ancient Egypt by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture. This course focused on five key areas in the study of Ancient Egypt: 1) Principles of Egyptian Art, 2) The Basics of the Language of Ancient Egypt: Hieroglyphs, 3) Egyptian Magic, 4) Akhenaten, Tutankhamun, and the Religion of the Aten, and 5) The Burial of Tutankhamun and the Search for his Tomb. This course is intended to accompany, and ideally to follow, Introduction to Ancient Egypt (also available on Coursera)....

GH

Nov 23, 2017

Very interesting course with great on-line and book references, will be a great help and inspiration for one to visit museums containing Ancient Egyptian art and artifacts

Apr 16, 2018

Very impressing, well-prepared, detailed course. I have learnt a lot and I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to gain insight about Ancient Egyption culture!

1 - 25 of 95 Reviews for Wonders of Ancient Egypt

By Kelly G

May 14, 2019

Very informative and easy to follow. Would recommend to anyone looking to learn about Ancient Egyptians.

By Tihana I

Apr 30, 2019

Very interestingly presented, with a lot of photos. I also loved the story of the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb, it was like watching a really tense show. :) Thank you, Dr. Silverman, you've taught me a lot.

By Rishita D

Dec 04, 2018

If studies can be made so easy and readily available then I think we should not limit ourselves just what we are taught in schools and colleges. Let the door of knowledge open up to all. The course has indeed helped me to learn and kbow something which i always fancied. Now i want to learn more. Thank you.

By Kiara M M R

Jan 19, 2019

Me encanta. Estoy aprendiendo mucho sobre la escritura en el Antiguo Egipto. Lo recomiendo.

By Charlene B

Feb 13, 2019

Very Well done Course. Dr Silverman knows his history and how it plays a role in the development of the story that is Egypt.

By Xavier M

Feb 24, 2019

TOP !

By Consuelo S V

Feb 27, 2019

Maravilhoso!!!

By Marcela R V

Mar 05, 2019

A very complete course, I learned new things, excellent teacher.

By Daniel P M

Aug 05, 2018

Excelent!

By Manvi K D

Aug 13, 2018

A real good learning session!

By WenYu Z

Oct 23, 2018

真的很感谢

By Aaman L

Nov 02, 2018

A masterful exposition of art, culture, writing, magic and the complexity of the 18th dynasty

By STELLA M F B

Nov 03, 2018

es un curso exelente pues a pesar de ser en ingles me fue facil comprender y aprender

By Julio R

Jan 14, 2018

I want to thank professor David fo such a wonderfull explanations in all of the aspects of the course I really learn and enjoy it ¡¡¡

By Lisa L

Mar 20, 2018

very fun and informative course !! thank you for making it available!!

By Lovely L

Mar 31, 2018

Thank you very much for this course! Let me get more accurate and in-depth knowledge of Egyptian religion, writing, art and magic. I hope can get more details about the priest in the future. Thanks a lot.

By Timothy W H

Dec 05, 2017

I enjoyed learning the aspect of the Egypt culture and the wonders it provide me. Outstanding knowledge and the curriculum provide us with indepth learning.

By Nikolaos K

Jan 14, 2018

Excellent!

By Dararat K

Dec 03, 2017

Thank you so much for this wonderful course. I'm looking forward to next chapter of Egyptology.

By Jorge A A E

May 26, 2018

Excellent course material. Very Interesting and easy to follow.

By Leonard S

Jan 02, 2018

Very interesting course and stimulates me to learn more about this subject. This course will enhance the experience of my next visit to the Penn Museum.

By PhantomDuck1980

Nov 07, 2017

An exellent learnig experiece. I definately recomment it to everyone who adores Egyptology!

By Lucy I D L R T

Nov 12, 2017

Disfrute y aprendí mucho, me encantaron las imágenes proporcionadas y conocer los jeroglificos de esa manera tan didáctica y sencilla.

By kouassi n c

Nov 11, 2017

très bon cours facile à étudier et à comprendre je le recommande

By Megan F