Back to Wonders of Ancient Egypt

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wonders of Ancient Egypt by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture. This course focused on five key areas in the study of Ancient Egypt: 1) Principles of Egyptian Art, 2) The Basics of the Language of Ancient Egypt: Hieroglyphs, 3) Egyptian Magic, 4) Akhenaten, Tutankhamun, and the Religion of the Aten, and 5) The Burial of Tutankhamun and the Search for his Tomb. This course is intended to accompany, and ideally to follow, Introduction to Ancient Egypt (also available on Coursera)....

VE
Jul 10, 2020

This was an incredibly detailed course that provided an in-depth and interesting view of ancient Egypt. I would highly recommend this as an essential course for those interested in Egypt's history.

MM
Sep 25, 2020

I really enjoyed the history of Ancient Egypt. I have viewed the treasures of Tutankhamun twice. This class gave me a more in depth view of the culture and the art of Ancient Egypt. Thank you.

51 - 75 of 210 Reviews for Wonders of Ancient Egypt

By Jessica G

May 23, 2020

This course was fascinating, intriguing and full of amazing information and history. I look forward to furthering my knowledge in Ancient Egyptian History

By Leonard S

Jan 2, 2018

Very interesting course and stimulates me to learn more about this subject. This course will enhance the experience of my next visit to the Penn Museum.

By Jeffrey G P

Feb 7, 2018

This was a good course. It partners very well with the earlier Egypt course. I recommend these two courses to anyone with an interest in Ancient Egypt.

By Rebecca H

Much better then the introduction course (still suggest taking that before this one). Good pace and a good depth of individual subjects. Very fun.

By Cheri F

I loved this class, it was very informative and easily understood. The Professor could do with a little more enthusiasm, but he did a great job.

By Elizabeth G

May 7, 2020

Very interesting course which is well -presented by Dr Silverman. He presents material in a way that is easy for the viewer to understand.

By Christina B

Dec 8, 2019

Wonderful course which took me back in time. I've learned so much! And week 6 was the most exciting learning of Tutankhamun's discovery.

By Mary P

Apr 14, 2018

Very Interesting course about Ancient Egyptian life. Lectures were easy to follow and it isn't too time consuming. Thoroughly enjoyable!

By Lucy I D L R T

Nov 12, 2017

Disfrute y aprendí mucho, me encantaron las imágenes proporcionadas y conocer los jeroglificos de esa manera tan didáctica y sencilla.

By Julio R

Jan 13, 2018

I want to thank professor David fo such a wonderfull explanations in all of the aspects of the course I really learn and enjoy it ¡¡¡

By Feride E A

Oct 30, 2020

It was a wonderful experience to learn about ancient Egypt. Phrase of Prof. Silverman's is fantastic. Thank you all for this chance.

By Juan B L T

Nov 15, 2020

I have loved this course, I never believed that the knowledge of ancient Egypt was so enjoyable and so productive ... Thank you

By Charlene B

Feb 13, 2019

Very Well done Course. Dr Silverman knows his history and how it plays a role in the development of the story that is Egypt.

By Debra V

Feb 25, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and learned more about Egyptian civilization than from any documentary or travelogue.

By Fatima F

May 24, 2018

I really enjoyed the course. This was the second from Penn University I attended to. High quality, meaningful course.

By Christianna G

Jun 11, 2020

This was a really fun course to take over the summer and I can't wait to show my students everything that I learned.

By Hugh B

Aug 22, 2020

Very informative and enjoyable. May have inspired me to look into careers in egyptology. Just all around very good.

By Jen R

Feb 29, 2020

I know have enough information to teach my year 9 class Ancient Egypt with this course and the intro course Thanks!

By Andrew R

Nov 24, 2020

A wonderful course for anyone interested in Ancient Egypt, and of course King Tutankhamun. I highly recommend it.

By Amanda O

Jan 17, 2018

I learned so much during this course! It kept my interest and I loved logging on and learning more every week!

By Raven C

Sep 28, 2020

I love the course I I learned a lot more than I thought it was lot of things I knew and some I did not know.

By Luís M G d S A

Jun 15, 2020

A very useful course. Deepen knowledge of Ancient Egypt.

N.B.: I also like to see a course on Ancient Nubia,

By Paolo A

A fascinating insight into Egyptian life, magic, art, and writings. Delivered in a clear and concise manner.

By Katie H

Jan 3, 2020

I learned a lot in this course. Egypt has lots of interesting things to study. Highly recommend this course.