Back to Wonders of Ancient Egypt

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Wonders of Ancient Egypt by University of Pennsylvania

Colossal pyramids, imposing temples, golden treasures, enigmatic hieroglyphs, powerful pharaohs, strange gods, and mysterious mummies are features of Ancient Egyptian culture that have fascinated people over the millennia. The Bible refers to its gods, rulers, and pyramids. Neighboring cultures in the ancient Near East and Mediterranean wrote about its god-like kings and its seemingly endless supply of gold. The Greeks and Romans describe aspects of Egypt's culture and history. As the 19th century began, the Napoleonic campaign in Egypt highlighted the wonders of this ancient land, and public interest soared. Not long after, Champollion deciphered Egypt's hieroglyphs and paved the way for other scholars to reveal that Egyptian texts dealt with medicine, dentistry, veterinary practices, mathematics, literature, and accounting, and many other topics. Then, early in the 20th century, Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tutankhamun and its fabulous contents. Exhibitions of this treasure a few decades later resulted in the world's first blockbuster, and its revival in the 21st century has kept interest alive. Join Dr. David Silverman, Professor of Egyptology at Penn, Curator in Charge of the Egyptian Section of the Penn Museum, and curator of the Tutankhamun exhibitions on a guided tour of the mysteries and wonders of this ancient land. He has developed this online course and set it in the galleries of the world famous Penn Museum. He uses many original Egyptian artifacts to illustrate his lectures as he guides students as they make their own discovery of this fascinating culture. This course focused on five key areas in the study of Ancient Egypt: 1) Principles of Egyptian Art, 2) The Basics of the Language of Ancient Egypt: Hieroglyphs, 3) Egyptian Magic, 4) Akhenaten, Tutankhamun, and the Religion of the Aten, and 5) The Burial of Tutankhamun and the Search for his Tomb. This course is intended to accompany, and ideally to follow, Introduction to Ancient Egypt (also available on Coursera)....

VE

Jul 11, 2020

This was an incredibly detailed course that provided an in-depth and interesting view of ancient Egypt. I would highly recommend this as an essential course for those interested in Egypt's history.

MR

Mar 02, 2020

Love this course! I've been obsessed with Egyptology my whole life and after taking both of Dr. Silverman's courses I feel I have a much greater understanding of the mystic civilization!

51 - 75 of 182 Reviews for Wonders of Ancient Egypt

By Lucy I D L R T

Nov 12, 2017

Disfrute y aprendí mucho, me encantaron las imágenes proporcionadas y conocer los jeroglificos de esa manera tan didáctica y sencilla.

By Julio R

Jan 14, 2018

I want to thank professor David fo such a wonderfull explanations in all of the aspects of the course I really learn and enjoy it ¡¡¡

By Charlene B

Feb 13, 2019

Very Well done Course. Dr Silverman knows his history and how it plays a role in the development of the story that is Egypt.

By Debra V

Feb 25, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and learned more about Egyptian civilization than from any documentary or travelogue.

By Fatima F

May 24, 2018

I really enjoyed the course. This was the second from Penn University I attended to. High quality, meaningful course.

By Christianna G

Jun 11, 2020

This was a really fun course to take over the summer and I can't wait to show my students everything that I learned.

By Jen R

Feb 29, 2020

I know have enough information to teach my year 9 class Ancient Egypt with this course and the intro course Thanks!

By Amanda O

Jan 17, 2018

I learned so much during this course! It kept my interest and I loved logging on and learning more every week!

By Luís M G d S A

Jun 15, 2020

A very useful course. Deepen knowledge of Ancient Egypt.

N.B.: I also like to see a course on Ancient Nubia,

By Paolo A

A fascinating insight into Egyptian life, magic, art, and writings. Delivered in a clear and concise manner.

By Katie H

Jan 03, 2020

I learned a lot in this course. Egypt has lots of interesting things to study. Highly recommend this course.

By Joyce G A

Jul 15, 2020

excellent course, its my first time learning online and I learned a lot. Ancient Egypt is truly amazing!

By Vojtěch K

Jun 12, 2019

Very good course about Ancient Egypt and a nice follow-up on the Introduction course with Mr. Silverman!

By Atoosa

Dec 18, 2019

Great course.

Did not disappoint!

Loved the numerous museum pictures with detailed explanation.

By Ellie

Nov 11, 2019

It was a fun course to experience and it showed me a different view on the ancient egyptian culture

By Manal K

Jan 01, 2020

Clear , concise and loaded with information yet not dull at all.

Thank you , enjoyed every minute.

By Sven S

Dec 29, 2017

This is really a great course. Very interesting topics and beautiful materials. I learned a lot.

By Dararat K

Dec 03, 2017

Thank you so much for this wonderful course. I'm looking forward to next chapter of Egyptology.

By Carrie L M

Jan 28, 2018

Great course! So informative and I love the presentation of the material. Thank you so much!!!

By Aaman L

Nov 02, 2018

A masterful exposition of art, culture, writing, magic and the complexity of the 18th dynasty

By Daisy N

A really interesting course, well presented and informative. I recommend taking this course.

By Kiara M M R

Jan 19, 2019

Me encanta. Estoy aprendiendo mucho sobre la escritura en el Antiguo Egipto. Lo recomiendo.

By PhantomDuck1980

Nov 07, 2017

An exellent learnig experiece. I definately recomment it to everyone who adores Egyptology!

By Nelly M C C

Mar 18, 2018

A fascinating course. It was a fine sequel to the previous course. I highly recommend it.