Back to Introduction to Big Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Big Data by University of California San Diego

Interested in increasing your knowledge of the Big Data landscape? This course is for those new to data science and interested in understanding why the Big Data Era has come to be. It is for those who want to become conversant with the terminology and the core concepts behind big data problems, applications, and systems. It is for those who want to start thinking about how Big Data might be useful in their business or career. It provides an introduction to one of the most common frameworks, Hadoop, that has made big data analysis easier and more accessible -- increasing the potential for data to transform our world! At the end of this course, you will be able to: * Describe the Big Data landscape including examples of real world big data problems including the three key sources of Big Data: people, organizations, and sensors. * Explain the V’s of Big Data (volume, velocity, variety, veracity, valence, and value) and why each impacts data collection, monitoring, storage, analysis and reporting. * Get value out of Big Data by using a 5-step process to structure your analysis. * Identify what are and what are not big data problems and be able to recast big data problems as data science questions. * Provide an explanation of the architectural components and programming models used for scalable big data analysis. * Summarize the features and value of core Hadoop stack components including the YARN resource and job management system, the HDFS file system and the MapReduce programming model. * Install and run a program using Hadoop! This course is for those new to data science. No prior programming experience is needed, although the ability to install applications and utilize a virtual machine is necessary to complete the hands-on assignments. Hardware Requirements: (A) Quad Core Processor (VT-x or AMD-V support recommended), 64-bit; (B) 8 GB RAM; (C) 20 GB disk free. How to find your hardware information: (Windows): Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties; (Mac): Open Overview by clicking on the Apple menu and clicking “About This Mac.” Most computers with 8 GB RAM purchased in the last 3 years will meet the minimum requirements.You will need a high speed internet connection because you will be downloading files up to 4 Gb in size. Software Requirements: This course relies on several open-source software tools, including Apache Hadoop. All required software can be downloaded and installed free of charge. Software requirements include: Windows 7+, Mac OS X 10.10+, Ubuntu 14.04+ or CentOS 6+ VirtualBox 5+....

HM

Sep 09, 2019

I love the course. It goes deep into the foundations, and then finishes up with an actual lab where you learn by practice. I greatly benefited from it and feel I have achieved a milestone in big data.

RG

Jul 14, 2017

First of all i would like to take this opportunity to thanks the instructors the course is well structured and explained the foundations with real world problems with easy to understand the concepts.

26 - 50 of 1,983 Reviews for Introduction to Big Data

By Ajesh k P

Dec 22, 2019

A highly motivating introduction to Big Data with option to work out the examples hands on in cloud with Hadoop. The course inspires the learner to dive deep in to big data and explore big data analytics.

The course presentations are well planned. It is presented as short videos in a very attractive manner. The way the researchers have shared their experiences in using Big Data for disaster management is great information to the learners. Overall, it is a very good experience.

By Nicolas A G

Sep 26, 2016

It is very easy to follow the course. This first course is not complex. As the title says, it is more of an introduction of the world of big data and hadoop. Also, you will learn how to install and run hadoop as well as some very basic functions of MapReduce.

Overall a very good course. As a tip, if you are fluent in english, I would recommend you to run the video x1.5 or x1.75. At the beginning it may be hard, but it will reduce the time that you spend watching video.

By Anthony W U

Aug 28, 2016

Despite my busy work schedule I had fun taking this course especially because of the forum that diverse learners from all around the globe participated it. Twice I got stuck with running hadoop and other learners had posted the solution so I tried their suggestions and I got unstuck! I appreciate those who put in extra work to make my learning easier and fun. Honestly, that was the incentive that made me to complete this course for I was about to drop out. Thank you.

By Esteban Q G

Aug 17, 2020

This course was my first coursera course, my first programming course and my first total English course, really it's gonna be forever in my heart. In other side, it pushe me in context about the Data science and how it is very importatn for current time and for future generations and daily live. The teacher was very clear in her explanations and the excersices was very thoughts for actual learning. I only have admiration and thank words. thank you very much

By Kevin L

Jul 13, 2017

Lots of good material. Of the three "aspects" of data science, this one covers the business angle pretty heavily. It also sets you up with Hadoop and introduces the MapReduce elements.

If you already have background knowledge of data science, some of this material may seem to drag a little bit. Nonetheless, it's one of the few courses on this platform I've taken that address how data science is used in industry (rather than simply the methods).

By Prathviraj S C

Jun 28, 2020

Instructors are genius. I want to first understand the thing before learning it. For me it is very much difficult to learn something without knowing how it is applicable in our life or in technology. The best part of this code is, it first explained how big data is playing role in our life, and later shown how to perform task on data , which most courses don't. Thanks Sir and Ma'am, lots of love from India, Keep making courses like this.

By Aveek M

Feb 20, 2017

The course is exceptionally well made and tailored to our needs. I had a great time going through the course. The course was clear and well tailored covering all the major aspects of Big Data. I started the course late and was unable to finish it by the deadline, but was auto enrolled to the next month and was able to successfully finish the course. Thank you Coursera and University of San Diego for explaing Big Data in such a simple way

By Brad K

Mar 28, 2017

This was a very good course covering great information on Big Data with many quizzes and workshops to reinforce the learning content. I found it very interesting and looking forward to continuing the big data journey. Passing this course was fun and exciting! I'm already using what I've learned on my job. I'm planning on registering for the next module but taking a moment to celebrate this success.

By Silvia A D P

Jun 27, 2020

I really liked the course. I knew almost nothing about big data, it was very informative for me as a beginner, I loved the final part of the course very much where we had to put our knowledge into practice, because although it took me a long time to find the solution, I did it and it was very satisfying. I really feel that I learned a lot and now I can only continue reading, practicing and improving

By Herath M P S M

May 12, 2020

Excellent Course !!! Big Data is a leading area of Data Science which will take major role in future . A beginner to Big Data Science must understand the basic concepts of Big Data Analysis and How to identify Big Data problem and work with it . Anyone who doesn't know any thing about Big Data , but have curious about what is this Big Data is ? Best place to stats with Big Data is this Course.

By Do H L

Jun 29, 2016

This is much better than the previous version! 6 weeks with much more spread out and comprehensive contents about big data with a nice balance between theory and hands-on assignments.

Technical software taught are Hadoop, following the MapReduce framework, to which the introduction was very gentle and progressive. Thus, it makes it manageable to take in the and learn the rope by small baby steps.

By Savitha R

Jul 30, 2018

The course is very informative. I was a layman in BigData. Now, I know what are the kinds of data, origin of data, how it impacts and plays roles in our lives.

Fundamentals of Hadoop has been explained very well and the assignments play a vital role in the learning because to clear the assignment, we go through the courses at least twice to make the concepts clear.

Thanks for all the effort.

By Jose A R N

Feb 12, 2018

My name is Jose Antonio. I am looking for a new Data Scientist career (https://www.linkedin.com/in/joseantonio11)

I did this specialization to get new knowledge about Big Data and better understand the technology and your practical applications.

The course was excellent and the classes well taught by teachers.

Congratulations to Coursera team and Instructors.

Regards.

Jose Antonio.

By Pablo A L Z

Jul 02, 2020

Un curso muy interesante la verdad aprendi cosas que no sabia anteriormente, me gusto todo aunque para una persona que no sabe muy bien ingles se le dificulta, sería bueno que la mayoría de los videos tuvieran subtitulos en español, pero en general muy bueno y los profesores ponian ejemplos muy intersantes sobre el Big Data y en mi campo más especifico sobre la parte GIS

By patrick f

Dec 20, 2017

For the price this is an excellent introduction, the course is a good foundation for working with big data. It is up to the student to go forth from this course and take on their own project. I previously submitted a Spark Streaming application prototype to my client prior to the start of this course. I wish I had this course prior to starting my job but it is what it

By Jiang Q

May 19, 2019

It's a entire introduction to Big Data.I get a lot of fundamental knowledge about this filed and full of interests to dig into this course.

But there is still a little shortage.As a course close to CS,maybe should practice us to build own development environment instead of using pre-set environment.Or make an optional module for this with universal consideration.

By Peeyush J

Jan 01, 2018

Very good course for an introduction of Big Data- why, where and how it is useful in the real world. Thanks Instructors for making things so easy. It would be great if peer review quiz doesn't stop us from starting capstone project. It wastes a lot of time to complete the specialisation as passing all others courses is mandatory for enrolling in the project.

By Onyeabor, P O

Feb 23, 2018

The course offers a very detailed introduction to Big Data. The teachers and the teaching method employed enhances understanding. I am now confident in my understanding of Big Data management and Big Data systems. I also have a basic understanding of Hadoop and MapReduce. I'm eagerly looking forward to the rest of the courses in the specialisation.

By Syed M Z H K

Jul 21, 2017

I once did internship related to Hadoop, and I can say that I didn't learned much there. However, after taking this course I believe that my foundations have been built for more advanced courses. Thank you coursera for considering my request for fee waiver, as without your help I would have improved or gained new knowledge. Thanks again Coursera!

By Keerthi C S

Aug 14, 2016

Really good course. But, I was unable to complete the final week as I had a lot of trouble installing the Cloudera platform for Hadoop. So, I would recommend others to get that installed well in advance or else if you wait till the last week you might not be able to finish it in time and 6 weeks of effort would go to waste like it did for me.

By Dinesh B

Aug 16, 2020

Amazing course as a first peek into the world of Big Data. I have always been averse to coding. But the MapReduce exercise and then the Hands-on assignment on implementing a Hadoop Big Data stack through the console was really fun to do. Thank you to the trainers and to San Diego Super Computing Center for such a great learning experience!

By Ahmed H

Dec 08, 2019

the course is great except for the peer graded assignments it should be done by instructors for more trust , in addition if i finished my course earlier than the deadline why i should wait , all that time to get my certificate , which is really a very bad point in a great course , this course is awesome in total except for that bad point

By Manuel H

Dec 05, 2016

It is a fantastic course for beginners. The modules and the teachers are very clear, and the content is so good.

After this course, I can say I know something about Big Data, no idea before do this course. The examples and the Virtual Machine was so helpful to understand how hadoop works.

Thanks a lot... a fantastic course... thanks true.

By Vishnu V R A

Apr 23, 2017

I have got very useful information about Big Data and the need for mapreduce programming model and Hadoop Distribution Framework. I had also got very clear understanding of how to run a mapreduce framework using open source cloudera virtual machine. The entire course is easy to read and understand and fun. Thanks for the instructors.

By Balaji N

Jun 25, 2017

The course was very useful especially foundation materials and the way in which concepts were presented in a simplified manner with examples, key points, slide text and additional study materials. With respect to my background in IT, project Management in HRIT and technical skills, the course fulfilled my expectations almost 80%