Back to Introduction to Big Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Big Data by University of California San Diego

Interested in increasing your knowledge of the Big Data landscape? This course is for those new to data science and interested in understanding why the Big Data Era has come to be. It is for those who want to become conversant with the terminology and the core concepts behind big data problems, applications, and systems. It is for those who want to start thinking about how Big Data might be useful in their business or career. It provides an introduction to one of the most common frameworks, Hadoop, that has made big data analysis easier and more accessible -- increasing the potential for data to transform our world! At the end of this course, you will be able to: * Describe the Big Data landscape including examples of real world big data problems including the three key sources of Big Data: people, organizations, and sensors. * Explain the V’s of Big Data (volume, velocity, variety, veracity, valence, and value) and why each impacts data collection, monitoring, storage, analysis and reporting. * Get value out of Big Data by using a 5-step process to structure your analysis. * Identify what are and what are not big data problems and be able to recast big data problems as data science questions. * Provide an explanation of the architectural components and programming models used for scalable big data analysis. * Summarize the features and value of core Hadoop stack components including the YARN resource and job management system, the HDFS file system and the MapReduce programming model. * Install and run a program using Hadoop! This course is for those new to data science. No prior programming experience is needed, although the ability to install applications and utilize a virtual machine is necessary to complete the hands-on assignments. Hardware Requirements: (A) Quad Core Processor (VT-x or AMD-V support recommended), 64-bit; (B) 8 GB RAM; (C) 20 GB disk free. How to find your hardware information: (Windows): Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties; (Mac): Open Overview by clicking on the Apple menu and clicking “About This Mac.” Most computers with 8 GB RAM purchased in the last 3 years will meet the minimum requirements.You will need a high speed internet connection because you will be downloading files up to 4 Gb in size. Software Requirements: This course relies on several open-source software tools, including Apache Hadoop. All required software can be downloaded and installed free of charge. Software requirements include: Windows 7+, Mac OS X 10.10+, Ubuntu 14.04+ or CentOS 6+ VirtualBox 5+....

HM
Sep 8, 2019

I love the course. It goes deep into the foundations, and then finishes up with an actual lab where you learn by practice. I greatly benefited from it and feel I have achieved a milestone in big data.

DK
Aug 11, 2021

201 - 225 of 2,304 Reviews for Introduction to Big Data

By Quentin B

Oct 15, 2018

This course was a great opportunity to have an overview of what is the BigData and what does it use influence the businesses and our daily lives. Good job from the professors!

By Luis M

Oct 30, 2020

I work in finance, so I was new to many concepts, but the course is very well grounded in very basic concepts both of the world of data and the technical aspects of big data.

By Aldo C A M

Jun 29, 2020

So useful to better know the fundations of Big Data! I thought it was going to be only about theory but fortunately we did some stuff in the command line too and I loved that

By Shorav V

May 6, 2020

This Course helps us to learn a variety of Course Content and we can also check that how much we can raise our level along with the knowledge. Thank you for this Opportunity.

By Lucas A

Dec 15, 2020

Awesome introduction to the hadoop ecosystem and how to assess whether Big Data is really a fit for one current's needs. Without all the buzz currently surrounding the topic

By Pavnish K R

Oct 11, 2017

thanks coursera organization to recommended me this course. Before start this course i had no knowledge about the Big Data but now i have lot of knowledge about this course.

By ANIKET P

Sep 19, 2017

The mentors are really very good in teaching.i like to be a part of this free demo section and i know how much interesting facts that i am going to learn in another section.

By Yuqing Z

Sep 12, 2018

Great introductory course. It is great for people with absolutely no big data knowledge like me. It explains concepts clearly. Look forward to other courses in this series.

By Luis H

Sep 6, 2016

Good introductory course. The first lessons are slow so I recommend watching them on 2x speed. The last lesson (hands on) is better because it gives a real taste of hadoop

By Arpan B

Jul 2, 2021

​Really loved it. The professors explained from the very basic. Also the way they made me understand this course with examples from our day to day experiences, is awesome.

By SHIVANI S

May 5, 2020

It was really helpful and I completely enjoyed doing the course because of the hands on project at last.I gained much more than wha ti knew in the class.

Thankyou Coursera

By Eduardo C S

Feb 21, 2020

Aprendi muito sobre os conceitos do Big Data, quais seus benefícios e como utilizá-lo. Também aprendi sobre o ecosistema Hadoop e os Core (HDFS, Yarn, MapReduce) do mesmo.

By Наталья Д

Aug 22, 2018

I really liked the course. For me, this is a completely new and unknown facet. Practical tasks-it's super! Make with interest to achieve results. Wow! Thank you very much!

By Tuan N

Dec 12, 2019

Easy understanding the course, suitable for newbie. Reasonable schedule and assignment pressure push learners go ahead. Sometimes system email encourages you not give up.

By Eitan A

Jul 24, 2017

Great Class, perfect for a novice such as myself. In fact, I was surprised how much I learned on the basics of big data and the Hadoop environment in such as short time.

By Raul A H

Jul 18, 2017

Good introductory course. Basic concepts are accurately defined. Hadoop intro is in appropriate pace for newers. Clear explanations. Looking forward to the next course.

By NIRANJAN V

Jul 12, 2020

Exact knowledge of what I want to enroll myself into an introduction to bigData Technology

Really it helped a lot to jump in BigData, I'll continue the following courses

By Oluwasegun ' I

Apr 8, 2020

This is a great introduction to Big Data. The instructors did an excellent job of teaching with real world examples that will enable you to understand complex concepts.

By Akshay V

Aug 24, 2016

It is the best course for getting the overview of Big Data. It builds the basic concepts of data very easily.

Thanks to Coursera and University of California, San Diego.

By Pradhyumn A

It was a lovely course. each and everything was so nicely explained that it created an interest for big data in me.thanks to both the instructors especially the ma'am.

By Daniel P

Jul 17, 2018

Great introduction to Big Data. I went from knowing nothing about the subject to feeling mildly confindent about talking about the subject with industry professionals.

By Aayush k

Jan 21, 2018

Best course to get started with Big data. This course cover all the fundamentals needed to be taught. It is both interesting and fun. I really learned a lot. cheers!!!

By Vladimír L

Feb 13, 2017

A very good introduction to the Big Data world. Learning videos and supporting materials well prepared, quizes balanced, instalation guide for Hadoop was also perfect.

By Pouya Y L

Jan 8, 2019

Well-organized, well-illustrated, and well-presented. It is a great course to understand the basics and concepts of big data and get familiar with existing platforms!

By Abdullah

Mar 16, 2018

It has been a great learning experience! I would recommend this course to everyone who is interested in Data Science, in general and Big Data Analysis, in particular.