Back to Introduction to Big Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Big Data by University of California San Diego

Interested in increasing your knowledge of the Big Data landscape? This course is for those new to data science and interested in understanding why the Big Data Era has come to be. It is for those who want to become conversant with the terminology and the core concepts behind big data problems, applications, and systems. It is for those who want to start thinking about how Big Data might be useful in their business or career. It provides an introduction to one of the most common frameworks, Hadoop, that has made big data analysis easier and more accessible -- increasing the potential for data to transform our world! At the end of this course, you will be able to: * Describe the Big Data landscape including examples of real world big data problems including the three key sources of Big Data: people, organizations, and sensors. * Explain the V’s of Big Data (volume, velocity, variety, veracity, valence, and value) and why each impacts data collection, monitoring, storage, analysis and reporting. * Get value out of Big Data by using a 5-step process to structure your analysis. * Identify what are and what are not big data problems and be able to recast big data problems as data science questions. * Provide an explanation of the architectural components and programming models used for scalable big data analysis. * Summarize the features and value of core Hadoop stack components including the YARN resource and job management system, the HDFS file system and the MapReduce programming model. * Install and run a program using Hadoop! This course is for those new to data science. No prior programming experience is needed, although the ability to install applications and utilize a virtual machine is necessary to complete the hands-on assignments. Hardware Requirements: (A) Quad Core Processor (VT-x or AMD-V support recommended), 64-bit; (B) 8 GB RAM; (C) 20 GB disk free. How to find your hardware information: (Windows): Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties; (Mac): Open Overview by clicking on the Apple menu and clicking “About This Mac.” Most computers with 8 GB RAM purchased in the last 3 years will meet the minimum requirements.You will need a high speed internet connection because you will be downloading files up to 4 Gb in size. Software Requirements: This course relies on several open-source software tools, including Apache Hadoop. All required software can be downloaded and installed free of charge. Software requirements include: Windows 7+, Mac OS X 10.10+, Ubuntu 14.04+ or CentOS 6+ VirtualBox 5+....

HM
Sep 8, 2019

I love the course. It goes deep into the foundations, and then finishes up with an actual lab where you learn by practice. I greatly benefited from it and feel I have achieved a milestone in big data.

DK
Aug 11, 2021

101 - 125 of 2,289 Reviews for Introduction to Big Data

By Chandan K

Jan 28, 2020

Very Nice Course. It's all started from evolution and reason behind growth of Big Data and then a very clear description with real time examples on each topic covered under this course. Very Good For anyone who want start learning Big Data Basics.

By Anupama K

Jun 15, 2018

I am a complete newbie to Big Data and this course really came down to my level and explained all the concepts very well. Kudos to the two professors for putting together great content. Looking forward to the next few modules. Thank you very much!

By Timothy M N

Jul 22, 2020

Massive thanks to the course instructors for giving us this amazing introduction into big data.

There is a lot to learn, especially for someone like me with almost no knowledge of big data.

Looking forward to continuing the remainder of the course.

By Dinuka M D Z

Apr 12, 2018

Loved every lecture in this course as the content was presented clearly in a very well organized manner. This course teaches you everything you need to get into the field of Big Data. I am very grateful to Dr.Ilkay Altintas and Dr.Amarnath Gupta.

By Maciej K

Jan 5, 2020

Great introduction course - gave me better understanding of the topic from general perspective. It helped me organized things I already knew about Big Data, but also gave me an opportunity to learn new things and interesting aspects of Big Data.

By Rabia N

Jun 9, 2019

Being totally novice in the subject matter, i found this course informative. However, slides could have been better and i would prefer content that is not available on you tube free of cost as many students would have paid to enroll this course.

By Ms. S P W

Jun 7, 2020

The course was good.The explanation was fine and study materials were also good.A little bit difficulty I felt in hands on session.That is s/w installation.It could be more better if more guidelines were provided in that session for windows.

By Siddesha S

Jul 13, 2020

Wonderful course, Very well delivered, Covered most of the basics of Big Data. Quizzes are well framed, Programming assignment helped in understanding basics of Hadoop and Map-Reduce concepts, Thanks to the resource persons and coursera team.

By Martin O

Jun 1, 2018

I think this is a very good Introduction course. It begins with the basics but at the end of it you already know how to run a program in Hadoop. The lectures were so clearly explained and easy to follow, even if you are not english (my case).

By Sarsiz C

Mar 26, 2017

This course is amazing. For the beginners it will be really helpful for them and they can understand better what big data is and how it works. Exercise , assignments will require pure understanding of the concepts taught to you in the videos.

By Eishita Y

Jul 16, 2020

This course is well structured and clearly explained. All the assignments in the course solidified my understanding of the concepts taught in the lectures. The hands-on tutorial on running a simple map-reduce job in Hadoop was very engaging!

By Lukus B

Apr 15, 2017

Im familiar with programming, and some languages. But have 0 experience with hadoop and other programs pertaining, So i very much appreciated with thorough back ground information that was provided with the course. Very well done. Thank you.

By Arihant J

Apr 22, 2020

This course was well planned and the two professors also made sure to cover it in a way so that the interest in the learning was always there. The real life practical case studies is what helped the student understand the worth of Big Data.

By John V

Apr 6, 2021

Great introduction. It was quick and easy, yet I feel very empowered to dive even deeper into the big data landscape. Downloading the VirtualBox and Cloudera software was straightforward and easy to set up. I was up and running in no time.

By Abhishek k S

Jun 21, 2021

Nicely and wisely covered concepts of big data here we learn new concept with real life examples that builds interest throughout the course.

Special thanks to mam, who makes things so clear and much easier...

Best Wishes to whole team!!!

By Elvismary M d A

Jul 5, 2017

I understand every think that was exposed in thiscourse. I think the organization of this was very difficult because the huge materials that data science and big data are related. Thanks the professors to organize well all these ideas.

By Sherif E

Sep 22, 2016

Very good course as an introduction to Big Data, It will give you all the needed info to get around and understand what is Big Data and what is Hadoop

I highly recommend this course for the people who want to have information on Big Data

By Oguzhan B

Aug 23, 2020

It's a great course. It explains to you the introductory level information you should definitely know about big data with many examples. Moreover, there are exercises in the last chapters. In this way, you can train for a small start.

By Joseph B

Jul 7, 2016

Really interesting course! Just dipping your toes into Big Data, and running some extremely basic operations, shows you how powerful Hadoop can be, and the potential for it :)

Coming from someone with no experience in computer science.

By Kalman E

Dec 25, 2020

A good introduction! I gave me an overall impression of the topic. As I work with BD technologies after the course it's possible to orient in diverse tools and choose what will be usefull for me to study next. Thanks to the creators!

By Odenna S

Feb 15, 2020

I have found the course very well organized, the material is understandable, the teachers are very professional. Since I am new in this topic, I have learnt a lot, and was able to understand everything what was covered in the course.

By Wathek L

Jan 30, 2018

I love how this course was organised, I had an idea about big data but I never had a whole over view about the bigger picture, I feel I am ready for more specialisation and read to take an Entry level interview for a BigData company.

By Phoebe J G

Feb 24, 2021

This is very informative and detailed. It actually guides me given that I'm zero knowledge about Big Data and Hadoop. This is a wonderful course that equips people with practical and theoretical knowledge regarding the subject.

By Gunjan S

Sep 23, 2019

Awesome course!

Loved the explanations and quizzes. Moreover, the hands-on-experience provided by doing the labwork really excited me and kept me on the edge of my chair to do more!

Thanks a lot.

Alright, moving on to course 2. :)

By Tarun K

Jun 13, 2019

the course is in detailed and structured. I will recommend this course to the other beginners. It helps me a lot in understanding big data concepts from the scratch. Thank you to my trainer and Coursera team. I'm highly obliged