Back to Business English: Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Business English: Basics by The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

This course aims to improve your Business English language skills by developing your vocabulary and reading skills and your understanding of tone, style and knowledge of communication methods. We'll also cover how these language skills can enhance audience analysis, business case analysis and basic business communication strategies. Skills learned in this course will often be referred to and needed to complete the speaking, writing and cross-cultural communications courses of this Specialization. After completing this course, you will be able to: - describe things and events in the context of Business English - make requests in the context of Business English - support arguments in the context of Business English - use appropriate tone and style according to the context of Business English - conduct an audience analysis - match audience with the purpose and medium of communication - analyse and summarise business data...

HS

Apr 27, 2017

Thank you very much. It was very useful course and lecturers provided very insightful information. I look forward to participate at your next course. All the best.

NN

Jul 30, 2016

I recommend this course. It has been a great experience learning the basics of Business English.\n\nVery well paced, amazing context.

1 - 25 of 65 Reviews for Business English: Basics

By Rafael D

Mar 14, 2016

It is hard to be constructive when you do have something brilliant to compare with.

The very first thing to say is that the course is presented through poorly drawn cartoons for 5-year-olds and ineffective lecture videos with little or no eye contact with the instructors. The presentations are filled with strange icons and drawings appearing every here and there, making not much of a professional impression.

After watching videos, in just about 5 minutes after the lecture is over, the retained information was always going to zero. Sometimes I had to rewind the video to retrieve the points they were trying to make. Or maybe I just didn't want to listen to them. But it seems impossible due to the fact I am interested, and I do finish every course on Business writing I run into. Always with 100% final grade.

The overall demeanor is not as professional as it has to be. I recommend the designers to watch "Write Professional Emails" with Gerry Landers by Georgia Tech and "Teach English Now!" with Dr. Shane Dixon by Arizona State University. I do not normally remember the instructors' names, except for brilliant ones. I do not remember the ones of this course.

I do hope my criticism will eventually lead to a better experience for your students. I apologize if I was overly direct and wordy.

Regards,

Rafael

By Yesid P

Oct 05, 2018

I think it's an excellent course, especially for those of us who do not have fluency in the English language.

By Mini V

Mar 20, 2018

This is an excellent course that goes in-depth on all aspects of business english. Highly recommended.

By HAMID S

Apr 27, 2017

By sherif a a

Jul 18, 2018

very good

By Varduhi K

Jul 23, 2018

Мне очень понравилась Ваш проект, я можно сказать совсем не знала английский язык, но вы смогли помочь мне , и я очень благодарна вам за вашу работу, Спасибо Вам Всем за ваш труд ....

By Adilho T d S

Aug 26, 2018

The course could provide you, a helpful introduction to the general idea of necessary business communication.

By Rahul S

Sep 07, 2018

Best Course to learn Business English.

By Gustaw Ż

Oct 20, 2018

Nicely done. Thank You!

By Luis F E B

Oct 25, 2018

It was really engaging!

By Cosette L

Nov 18, 2016

The course is awesome! I love their video classes.

By Nataliya K

Mar 11, 2016

Very useful and well-organized course. Highly recommended!

By Hassan R R

Nov 27, 2016

Thanks all coursera team for their nice and helpful guides and information.

Kind regards

By Yining T

Apr 15, 2017

good courses, easy to understand

By Zoya R

Jun 12, 2016

very clear, useful course about communications in business, basics of the basics.

By Mahmoud A

Jun 24, 2016

it was a very good content with high level of knowledge

By Saeed A Q

Jan 07, 2017

Perfect syllabus

By Ren P

Nov 20, 2016

Good

By Verdian K

Dec 07, 2017

ver

By 方毅

Feb 20, 2016

简单易学,期待更多此类课程上线

By Mirza A B

May 09, 2016

Very efficient course, now I can feel change in my communication.

By Muhammad A A

Jun 08, 2017

Great course

By Lahcene O M

Sep 14, 2016

very nice

By Nitin B T

Jan 05, 2018

I am very excited and pleased after taking this Business English: Basics, I started noticing and correcting my own mistake that I used to make. I am looking forward to complete other associated courses as well for achieving the proficiency in communication. This course is a great deal of learning for students and professionals, who wish to learn profession communication skills.

To cut a long story short, This course really improved my written and verbal communications at a certain degree, especially after reading about 'Audience analysis' and Harvard Business School Case Analysis Approach!

By Salvatore T