Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

The Truth About Cats and Dogs, The University of Edinburgh

About this Course

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

By CN

Mar 04, 2018

This is a very informative, interesting and well prepared on-line course with lots of documentation that one can read later on in order to get more knowledgeable about dogs and cats. Thanks!

By JK

Oct 15, 2017

Thank you! I do enjoyed this course. I got a lot of new information about cats stress, dogs and cats welfare. I will use this knowledge with my pets and in my dogtraining practice.

165 Reviews

By Alexis Fuentes

Mar 22, 2019

I really did not enjoy this course and am so disappointed that I didn't. I wanted to learn something new about cats and dogs, but I feel like a lot of this was common knowledge. Maybe I am just more advance than I thought. I think this is a great course for a first time pet owner, but not someone who has had a pet for a few years. Also, I feel like the views shared here are sometimes extreme and I felt that having a brachycephalic dog, I was almost marked as a someone contributing to the problem of the breed.

By Ana Badra de Faria

Mar 19, 2019

Very nice course for people who have or plan on having a cat or dog. I wish everyone had to take this course before owning pets.

By Louise Mason

Mar 14, 2019

Loved this course, very interesting. I learned a lot about cats and dogs. Would recommend.

By Kerlley de Sousa Barbosa

Mar 13, 2019

Curso maravilhoso com conteúdos que são de extrema importância para o meu desenvolvimento como bióloga.

Estou amando!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Mina Ng

Mar 11, 2019

Useful

By luisa fernanda rodas restrepo

Mar 04, 2019

Things that every pet should know

By Emma Greenwood

Mar 01, 2019

Very much enjoyed the course. Thank you !

By Sally Ashbridge

Feb 26, 2019

Useful overview of dog and cat communication, of their lifetime needs and rationale for reward based training.

By Samantha Martel

Feb 25, 2019

This course is especially helpful to anyone who is new to pet ownership, or even those who think they are experienced. It is full of the most up to date info on Cat and Dog behaviour and how we can help them live a good life with us. Although we love them, we might not always realize that what we are doing is perhaps not the best for them and could be done better - this course will make you think about this and find ways to improve their life with you.

By Hellas Forex