Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

CN

Mar 04, 2018

This is a very informative, interesting and well prepared on-line course with lots of documentation that one can read later on in order to get more knowledgeable about dogs and cats. Thanks!

XS

May 24, 2017

A quick stab at some base concerns of animal welfare issues nowadays focus on cats and dogs, good start point to view with objective and scientific measures for anyone that is interested.

151 - 175 of 187 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Herbaut J P M

Jun 30, 2019

Thanks You very much for this good expérience !

Herbaut Julien

By Melinda M

Jul 03, 2019

This course was informative on many street and pet dogs and cats. I do want to know more about the shelter element of how these animals can be better suited in a shelter environment.

By Margit M O

Jul 08, 2019

good

By LaTonia W

Jul 15, 2019

This was a great course full of valuable information about cats and dogs. It includes lots of truth dispelling the myths about them. I'd recommend this course to anyone wanting to know more about these creatures we chose as our companion animals.

By MAKARANON W

Jul 20, 2019

Thank you very much for a very good course.

By Bettina S

Jul 30, 2019

Thanks a lot for that interesting course! As a cat owner I knew quite a lot already, but there were some very interesting insights and findings. Learning more about dog behaviour was also very helpful.

By myna r m

Jul 30, 2019

I am enjoy my first week looking foward to more.

By Katharina T

Aug 13, 2019

Interesting and great course. Thank you very much

By DESMOND O

Dec 13, 2018

Very interesting course and well informed and enthusiastic tutors.

By Tammy P

Nov 14, 2018

I enjoyed this course. If I had any suggestions, it would be to have separate courses for Cats and Dogs as I think all of the topics covered can go into grave more detail. Especially behavioral traits. Ie) Why when you play fetch the dog hides with the ball or stick after retrieving it? Why does dogs like being crated? Why do some dogs have tails that are up in the air and some that never move and hang down? A class in First Aid and/or CPR would be great. Why do some dogs have allergies to chicken or turkey? Why do dogs eat less and/or tend to loose weight as they grown older. Is there any benefit to vitamins or Glucosamine Sulfate? Etc and etc. Anyhow, thank you for what you have provided.

By Mary O

Sep 14, 2018

,Thank you for the useful course. It provided me with valuable information about cat and dog behaviors and practical ideas for catering for my own cats. My experience with dogs is limited so it was a good opportunity to get some education on dogs. The only thing that I would have liked to see more of is a bit more focus on cat outdoor behavior, like how to train cats to take them for walks ( if possible) and whether it is a good idea or not, training cats to be more fearless. I just think that there was more focus on dogs in this area.

Thanks again for the excellent course!

By

Sep 10, 2018

It make me to lend more about cat and dog,thx!

By Vyachaslav G

Sep 03, 2017

Nice. But I still think that there is a lot of extra info in this course

By Timothy S

Jul 10, 2017

This course has a lot of information about cats and dogs. I learned a lot of different things in this course I didn't know about cats. I learned all about the three different 'areas' a cat has around the yard, why cats like

By Julio C N P

May 23, 2017

thanks

By David S Y C

Oct 05, 2017

Good, I had not finished it and am excite of finish it, the only problem is the language because I don't know some words but equal is good and interesant,

Thanks Edimburg´s University and Coursera for giving this opportunity to increase our knowledge

By Christian C

Oct 01, 2017

Very good basic overview of the best ways to socialize and best raise your cat or dog!

By Anne b

Jun 26, 2018

Interesting

By Mary L B

Apr 17, 2018

This was a fun course, and my little dog and 2 cats hope that I learned something.

By Natalia V

Oct 10, 2017

I found it helpful, entertaining and easy to understand.

I would have loved to have found more information about cats (interaction, adaptation, health problems...) since information about dogs is much more widely spread.

By Douglas M

Jan 10, 2018

I enjoyed this course very much. It was very informative and I learned a great deal about how both cats and dogs behave and I have applied much of what I learned successfully to the way I handle my pet cat. Excellent and informative instructors.

By Richard K

May 26, 2017

Nice overview

By Ange R

Jun 11, 2017

A little stronger slant regarding dogs than cats, but still very educational about both. Great review of the basics as well as lots more details (and amazing resources) to learn a lot more! I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't know nearly as much about my cats as I thought I did when beginning this class. It's a fun and light course that provides solid information on exactly what it says: cats and dogs.

By Megan Y

Apr 30, 2017

This course was good. It was great to refresh knowledge.

By Maria L

Apr 25, 2017

Very good course, especially for the (new) pet owner!