Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

HR
Mar 26, 2020

I learned so much about how to decrease stress for my pets and increase their happiness. I also learned how to better communicate with them. Thank you for helping improve my pets quality of life!

LD
Apr 5, 2020

I really enjoyed taking this course. The lectures were very informative and I learned a lot from this course. I definitely recommend this course for anyone who is interested in dogs and cats. :)

101 - 125 of 463 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Kiran M

Aug 24, 2020

After going through the course, I am able to better recognise the behaviour of my pet and able to understand what they feel. This is definitely going to help better communicate with them.

By Xin S

May 24, 2017

A quick stab at some base concerns of animal welfare issues nowadays focus on cats and dogs, good start point to view with objective and scientific measures for anyone that is interested.

By Li S H A

Nov 22, 2020

The course is very informative, and for pet owners, or people planning to have a pet in the future, this course would be very useful. The videos are short and suitable for beginners :)

By Melinda M

Jul 2, 2019

This course was informative on many street and pet dogs and cats. I do want to know more about the shelter element of how these animals can be better suited in a shelter environment.

By Monika R

Oct 31, 2020

Thank you for this course. I helped me to extend my knowledge on cats and dogs in a very nice and friendly way. I will recommend it to any English-speaking cat or dog owner I know.

By Maria E G S

Oct 17, 2020

Thank you Coursera and University of Edinburgh for this course! I really appreciated all the efforts everyone made to make this course enjoyable. I've learned a lot as a pet owner.

By Julia K

Oct 15, 2017

Thank you! I do enjoyed this course. I got a lot of new information about cats stress, dogs and cats welfare. I will use this knowledge with my pets and in my dogtraining practice.

By Sharon H I

Nov 29, 2017

I think this course should be a requirement for anyone thinking of adopting a pet. I've been around animals all my life and I still learnt a number of new things from this course!

By NADINE M S

Sep 19, 2020

Excellent content. Full of scientifically-based advice for those who really care about their pets. This course should be compulsory for all prospective and current pet owners.

By ANA K C L

Sep 10, 2020

Es un curso muy básico, sin embargo aprendes mucho y te ayuda a entender más a los animales y saber como tratarlos y corregirlos de una manera correcta preservando su bienestar

By Somya A

May 16, 2020

I enjoyed every reading every video. I love pets and i want to know everything about them and teachers help me to know about them. I am thankful to whole team of this MOOC.

By Larisa R

Feb 28, 2018

I am happy that studied this course. I got lots of important information about cats and dogs. As a owner of cat, I found this course is very useful. Thank you so much!

By Jeanne A C

Jun 25, 2017

I loved this course and only wish more people could take it and learn about the different characteristics and needs of dogs and cats before they rush out and get one.

By Halan J G

We need more courses like this, to have the opportunity to understand more about our companions, our pets, to enhance they welfare and our relationships. Thank you!

By Sara F F J G

May 2, 2020

Thank you. The course exceeded my expectations, I really liked your approaches to various problems, I learned a lot and solidified other knowledge. Congratulations!

By Inês M M M

Sep 25, 2020

Super informative, simple and trully important information! To all pet owners and specially to all the pet owners to be in the world! I liked it a lot. Recommend!

By Susthira A

Jun 9, 2017

this course is very helpful to encourage me as a vet and as an pet owner to more understand my patients and my dogs' behaviour and their acts. thank you so much!

By Melania G

Jun 5, 2017

This was such an intersting and owner-friendly course. I an a vet and I highly recommend it to allvpet lovers, pet owners or people that work with cats and dogs.

By Rina M C ( P

Aug 16, 2020

The course has open my eyes and gives me deep understanding on cats and dogs behaviour and raises my awareness on how i should fulfill their five welfare needs.

By Liew W Y

Jun 11, 2020

The course programme is nicely paced and covers the fundamentals which are definitely helpful for anyone who are interested in basic knowledge of cats and dogs.

By Sabita R

Apr 9, 2020

The emphasis is on wellbeing of the pets, changing our views as human 'masters', and I appreciate that! It's not about us humans, its about them cats and dogs!

By Kirsten L

Jun 15, 2020

Such an informative and interesting course, I really enjoyed it and can't wait to apply it to my further plans of working with animals (mainly cats and dogs).

By HARISH A 1

THIS COURSE IS VERY NICE AND INFORMATIVE AND IT IS TAKEN NATURALY WITH THE ANIMALS IN SCENE WHICH MAKES THE VIDEO LECTURE TO LOOK LIKE A LIVE CONVERSATION

By Elisabeth H

May 20, 2017

Very interesting and engaging. Fully recommend to anyone interested in learning more about understanding the needs, happiness, and welfare of their pets.