Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

CN

Mar 04, 2018

This is a very informative, interesting and well prepared on-line course with lots of documentation that one can read later on in order to get more knowledgeable about dogs and cats. Thanks!

XS

May 24, 2017

A quick stab at some base concerns of animal welfare issues nowadays focus on cats and dogs, good start point to view with objective and scientific measures for anyone that is interested.

51 - 75 of 187 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Mav C R

May 31, 2018

Very interesting course with a lot of great insight into the world of our pet cats and dogs, and well as street cats and dogs that we should be responsible for within our communities. This is a great foundation class for anyone who owns or wants to own a pet.

By Olga P M M

May 24, 2017

A great course! congratulations.

By Katia S

Jun 15, 2017

Very interesting course. A must take for pet companions

By Maciej K

Nov 16, 2017

thank you for this course, it made me more aware of needs of my cat

By Natalia M M C

Jul 07, 2017

I think the course improved my knowledge about the pets, not only about the behavior, I learned about de signs of my cats.

The course is well designed but I think the part of " ask to the expert" had a long durection, this part will can be divided in small fragments.

Thank you for this course.

By Jennifer A

Apr 19, 2018

I learned a lot from this course that I will use with better understanding my own pets as well as in my Pet sitting career!

By Maia R

May 24, 2017

Amazing topics with fantastic explanations.

By Sarah H

Aug 31, 2017

It was a great course with lots of important information. I knew most of the things about dogs but it still was very valuable for me.

By Sara K

May 14, 2017

Very informative. Great videos.

By Eva B

May 28, 2017

Excellent course, thank you!

By Shira B S

Sep 11, 2017

I liked it and did learn from it. I hope to have now a better relationship and understanding of my pets (especially the cats that I am less involved with.. it is my husband who is being their main parent)

By Deanna K H

Aug 08, 2017

This course gave me much insight into my cats and dogs in my life, and I thought I knew a lot already!

By Cheryl H

Aug 11, 2017

Really great course! I learned a lot and I feel like a lot of what I have learned can be used in my career. It was great to hear everything put into a clear and understandable way and the additional resources/websites were very helpful!

By Nanthawan A

Aug 23, 2017

Useful course for pet owners.

By Hanna B

Mar 25, 2018

That was my first completed online course. It was extremely useful, thank you! Now there are more rational things rather than intuitive. I started to understand my friends better. It is sad that I can't improve everything, but this course gave me lots of practical information that can and should be applied. Thanks again!

By Jennifer S

Jul 19, 2017

Very insightful, especially the myths of the alpha dog theory. The lecturers were very engaging as well as the videos where we see examples and reinforces what you learn before taking the assessments. The resources were also really interesting and I checked out a few.

By Wioleta S

Sep 17, 2017

Very good and informative course. I would recommend it to everyone who has a contact with dogs and cats, from vet proffessionals and pet owners.

By Sarah B

May 17, 2017

Extremely informative and engaging! Thank you!

By Nisargaa T

Oct 17, 2017

This course is a very great course for all dog and cat lovers worldwide.

By Cristina N

Mar 04, 2018

By Dagmar K ( n B )

Jun 14, 2018

I was mainly a dog person and I am glad I'm starting understand cats more. I didn't know many things in cat's area which was confusing for both sides. I am giving 5 stars because I can easily use everything what was said here and apply it in every day encounters with feline friends.

By Malekith D

Jun 19, 2017

An excellent course, well-fitted for those who take animal wellfare and care close to heart, thank you!

By Orlando. B I

Mar 08, 2018

Amazing course about cats and dogs

By ,Mary E M

Nov 05, 2017

Excellent and more in depth than expected!

By Sadaf

Aug 26, 2017

this was just an awesome course having a lot of info about pets