Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

HR

Mar 27, 2020

I learned so much about how to decrease stress for my pets and increase their happiness. I also learned how to better communicate with them. Thank you for helping improve my pets quality of life!

JJ

May 02, 2020

I have had a variety of animal companions throughout my life, but this course has taught me that I could always benefit by staying up-to-date on the latest information related to animal welfare.

51 - 75 of 392 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Emily L R

really enjoyed this course, found out somethings I didn't know. this would be such a useful resource for someone thinking of getting a cat or dog as it provides the basic information on care and up to date research on the animals cognition and behaviour

By Gabriela M

Es un curso excelente que te da una visión bastante amplia para lo poco que dura sobre cómo podemos ser mejores humanos para nuestros perros y gatos y qué comportamientos y medidas podemos adoptar para mejorar la calidad de vida humana-canina-felina.

By LaTonia W

Jul 15, 2019

This was a great course full of valuable information about cats and dogs. It includes lots of truth dispelling the myths about them. I'd recommend this course to anyone wanting to know more about these creatures we chose as our companion animals.

By Sophie P K

May 28, 2018

I loved The Truth About Cats and Dogs and I want to take this course again sometime! It was a very inspiring course and I can say my dog will now love my company! I highly recommend this course to people who want to improve their pets' welfare!

By Mrs L B

May 12, 2020

I found this course was really helpful in reinforcing some of the knowledge I already have but also I have learnt so much more. I would definitely recommend this course for anyone who is working with animals or looking to work with animals.

By Lucia G

Dec 01, 2019

It is really helpful to learn and understand our dogs and cats physical and emotional needs, which often are different from ours, and understand their verbal and non verbal communication to build a healthy and happy relationship with them.

By Lyliah H

Jun 28, 2020

This was a very enjoyable MOOC. It was easy to understand and very engaging. I have had animals my entire life and I still learned a number of things. If this group was to do another MOOC I would certainly take it. Thank you to all.

By Cheryl H

Aug 11, 2017

Really great course! I learned a lot and I feel like a lot of what I have learned can be used in my career. It was great to hear everything put into a clear and understandable way and the additional resources/websites were very helpful!

By Vanessa M C

Oct 08, 2019

Excellent introductory course to learn more about ethology and continue learning. Updated, practical and very, very interesting, that has refreshed my previous knowledge and added others that I did not know (I love the acronym PETS!)

By Tony S

Nov 27, 2017

Very well structured and easy to follow with key issues consistently emphasised and opportunities for discussion. Quiz assessments were a great way of checking understanding of the materaisl and videos were clear and well presented.

By Daniela A C L

Apr 29, 2020

I really had a good time learning dogs and cats. This course helps me to understand more my pet. I totally recommend to you. Also, I like that in this course they teach you to be more aware of your pets and with animals in general!

By Patricia J

Apr 24, 2020

Loved the course, lots of beneficial info from experts. Learned importance of ignoring bad behaviour in dogs. Better understanding of what stresses cats eg other adult cats. Excellent videos and would love to do more about animals.

By Muhammad F A

Aug 25, 2019

This course helped me acquire a basic understanding of cat and dog behaviour, a topic I'm very interested in exploring. Thanks to all the instructors who put in their effort to deliver this course. It was easy and interesting both.

By Ida S N M

Jun 18, 2017

I have owned cats my entire life, but I learned so much from this course! For example, I had no idea how much cats hunt in the wild. This course has already changed how I manage my animals, and it has far surpassed my expectations

By Vanille

Apr 24, 2020

Amazing course, and I absolutely love the teachers! Thank you so much for all the useful information, I knew a lot but definitely learnt much more! =) Highly recommend it to all cat & dog parents, and to anybody who loves animals!

By Samantha N

Sep 28, 2019

I very much enjoyed this course! It was very organized and easy to follow! I would recommend it to anyone wanting to know more about dog and cat behavior, socialization, and more interesting lessons about your furry friend(s)!

By Magdalena R

Jul 28, 2020

Wow, as a dog walker, cat socializer at a rescue and a pet owner - this course opened my mind to so much more information that now I will be eager and excited to share with pet owners and my local animal community. Thank you!

By Fiona B

Feb 20, 2018

This was a very good course for finding out about behaviours and the reason for different signals. They don’t always mean what we think they do and this course gives us a clearer idea of what we should be paying attention to.

By Aggie H

Apr 21, 2020

I learned a lot from the course and I am more confident to help my cat and I am more resourceful in terms of providing information to my friends because of the resources shared through this course. Thank you so much!

By Donald T

Jul 29, 2020

I enjoyed the course vary much. I am trying to learn how to purr, but not vary easy. Sounds more like a growl. Do you have an email so that I can contact you with any question concerning the course? Thank you Don

By David S R P

Aug 19, 2017

Excellent course, highly recommend. You gonna learn a lot of worth info about the life od your cat and dog. If you are interesed in pet wellfare and how to apply in your daily life, this a perfect point to start.

By Saira T

Nov 26, 2017

Excellent course to understand how dogs and cats are communicating with us. Whether it is your own pets or one's you may meet in your life, strays, owned, in rescues or shelters they all need some understanding.

By mercy0408

Jul 27, 2020

Thanks to this great course, I really learned a lot about how to treat my pets better ,how to improve my house for better environment for them,and what their reactions mean.

Thank you for this amazing course.

By Shira B S

Sep 11, 2017

I liked it and did learn from it. I hope to have now a better relationship and understanding of my pets (especially the cats that I am less involved with.. it is my husband who is being their main parent)

By Silvia A

A very interesting and accesible course for all people interested in pets. It helps to be more aware of our obligations and give us resources and keys to try to know our friends and their needs better.