Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

CN

Mar 04, 2018

This is a very informative, interesting and well prepared on-line course with lots of documentation that one can read later on in order to get more knowledgeable about dogs and cats. Thanks!

XS

May 24, 2017

A quick stab at some base concerns of animal welfare issues nowadays focus on cats and dogs, good start point to view with objective and scientific measures for anyone that is interested.

26 - 50 of 187 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Mark K

Aug 30, 2018

full of excellent information and tips

By Sharon H I

Nov 29, 2017

I think this course should be a requirement for anyone thinking of adopting a pet. I've been around animals all my life and I still learnt a number of new things from this course!

By Tamsin C

Jun 25, 2017

A well-presented and easy-to-follow course about the latest research into dog and cat needs. Highly recommended for all pet owners and carers!

Nov 17, 2017

Superb :)

By Cathi

Aug 27, 2017

Informative, compelling and wonderfully taught. I highly recommend to anyone that shares their life with a dog, cat or both.

By Jessie C

Jul 12, 2017

Although the course was mostly review for me, I found it very easy to follow and understand. It provided a lot of internet links to awesome information. If you are thinking about taking this course, whether you are a seasoned professional or green to the industry, it is a good informative course to take. Thank you!

By Julia K

Oct 15, 2017

Thank you! I do enjoyed this course. I got a lot of new information about cats stress, dogs and cats welfare. I will use this knowledge with my pets and in my dogtraining practice.

By Adriana P

Oct 31, 2017

Este curso, en conjunto con el curso "Animal behaviour and Welfare" de la Universidad de Edimburgo han sido de los cursos más completos, didácticos, dinámicos y "bonitos" que he tomado en Cousera.

Se agradece profundamente a todos los involucrados en su realización. Y la generosidad al compartir su tiempo, experiencia y conocimientos.

By Aga P

Oct 09, 2017

Great course!!! For all cats and dogs owners and lovers!!!!

By Loralee B

Jul 07, 2017

A must-take for all cat and dog owners! I learned a lot and have been able to use the info to provide better conditions for my cats.

By Xin S

By Ida S N M

Jun 18, 2017

I have owned cats my entire life, but I learned so much from this course! For example, I had no idea how much cats hunt in the wild. This course has already changed how I manage my animals, and it has far surpassed my expectations

By Chazz L

Sep 08, 2017

Great

By Janet B

May 30, 2017

Great course. I learned so much from it and even though I only have cats, I found the dog parts really interesting too :)

By Robyn H

May 12, 2017

Clear, concise, and informative. I particularly appreciated the de-bunking of myths such as the 'alpha' and pack theory. A very enjoyable course.

By jacqueline d b

N

D

By Jeanne A C

Jun 25, 2017

I loved this course and only wish more people could take it and learn about the different characteristics and needs of dogs and cats before they rush out and get one.

By JOHN Q

May 06, 2017

THOROUGHLY ENJOYED COURSE, LEARNING MANY THINGS I'D NEVER THOUGHT OF BEFORE.

By Aygul Y

Jan 27, 2018

I think anyone who is a pet owner should complete this mooc. It will help anyone to be a better friend and a more responsible owner to your cat or dog. It will help you built a better and healthier relationshis with your pet. I highly recomend this course to those who have or considering to have a pet.

By Renato G

May 24, 2017

Great course for all those who are cat and/or dog owners and wish to deepen, in a very relaxed way, one's knowledge of these animals.

By Bright B

Feb 18, 2018

Great information, really thorough explanations. And I was able to apply most (if not all) of my new learnings in real life situations. I work at a cat and dog boarding/training facility and it helps massively to understand cat & dog body language. Obviously the goal is to provide the animals lodging with a safe and intuitive environment, their needs come first.

By Theresa-Marie M

May 21, 2017

A must for all new pet owners and old supposedly 'knowledgeable' owners. I've had pets all my life and learned a lot, including what I do wrong.

By Sonia C d M

Mar 20, 2018

With this course you will be aware of absolutely everything that your pet dogs and cats really need to live happy and healthy in our world.

By Sigrún G L

Sep 26, 2017

Love it

By Zeljka T

Feb 15, 2018

I would heartily recommend this course to any person who loves animals, owns them or wants to own them. It will give you a deep insight into the cat and the dog behaviour. It will instruct you wisely about pet owner's responsibilities, all in the effort to provide a better quality of life to a pet and an owner likewise.