Back to The Truth About Cats and Dogs

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Truth About Cats and Dogs by The University of Edinburgh

What is your cat revealing to you when she purrs? What is your dog expressing when he yawns or wags his tail? Understanding your cat and dog’s behaviour and the way they communicate with you, will enable you to better understand their needs and strengthen your relationship with them. This MOOC is divided into five topics, the appliance of science; behaviour and body language, senses and perception; challenges for the human-animal relationship, including pet problem behaviour; and how to improve the quality of life for cats and dogs in our care. At the start of the course we ask you to consider what you feel is important to your cat/dog and what your cat/dog means to you? We explore the world of cats and dogs and how our relationships with them vary around the world and have changed over time. We ask if we can really know what our animals are thinking or trying to communicate through their facial expressions and behaviours. From our beloved pets to street dogs, shelter dogs/cats and welfare challenges, we explore the world from their perspective and examine how their genetic make-up may influence their behavioural responses and choices. We dispel common behavioural myths by looking through a scientific lens, asking questions about the function and development of their behaviour.. We explore how their senses help them to interact with their world and how they communicate with each other and us! Finally, we ask whether we impose unrealistic expectations on our cats and dogs and how this affects their ability to live alongside us. We ask, what can we do to be more responsible pet owners and to ensure the welfare of all cats and dogs in society? This MOOC explores different scientifically validated methods that can help you to better understand your pet, to enrich their lives and help you to be a more educated and confident pet owner. We hope you enjoy the course!...

MB

Dec 07, 2019

I am enjoying this course and am learning quite a bit. Behavior is one of my main interests as a trainer as I think understanding it helps to design training and living programs for the animal.

CN

Mar 04, 2018

This is a very informative, interesting and well prepared on-line course with lots of documentation that one can read later on in order to get more knowledgeable about dogs and cats. Thanks!

76 - 100 of 212 Reviews for The Truth About Cats and Dogs

By Janet B

May 30, 2017

Great course. I learned so much from it and even though I only have cats, I found the dog parts really interesting too :)

By Bishwaksen B

Feb 01, 2018

Loving this course, getting to know so much about our best friends, their wants, needs, behaviours and DOs and Don'ts

By Bára K

Jun 24, 2017

An informative and fun course. Take this course if you're a pet owner, even if you think you already know everything.

By Piper H

Jun 22, 2017

The course was very informative and helpful, and I believe it will improve my relationship with the pets around me.

By Patricia A W

Sep 22, 2017

Thank you very much, very well organize and also helpfull information. Continue doing it...more courses please

By akbara

Aug 28, 2017

Great MOOC for pet lovers and professional. As a dog/cat behavior consultant, I find this course highly useful.

By Sally A

Feb 26, 2019

Useful overview of dog and cat communication, of their lifetime needs and rationale for reward based training.

By William A

May 03, 2019

Really great stuff, valuable material to scientifically support what 'gentle-trainers' have known all along!

By Natashia J

Sep 11, 2017

It's an excellent course! Packed full of great information. Outline and format of course is very well done.

By Malekith D

Jun 19, 2017

An excellent course, well-fitted for those who take animal wellfare and care close to heart, thank you!

By Deanna K H

Aug 08, 2017

This course gave me much insight into my cats and dogs in my life, and I thought I knew a lot already!

By Carrie D V

Jan 09, 2019

I have a greater appreciation for dogs and what we as humans mean to them and what they mean to us.

By Maymoonah B O

Feb 11, 2018

It was a very good course and I learnt things I didn't know about and the videos were very good

By Sansanee A

Oct 06, 2017

I enjoyed taking this course because it provides useful information that I can use with my pet.

By Mohamed E

Oct 28, 2017

very great and fantastic course .... go on waiting more courses in animal clinical behavior

By Weronika K

Nov 01, 2017

Great course! ~Strongly recommend to everyone, who is interested in cats and dogs behaviour

By Louise M

Mar 14, 2019

Loved this course, very interesting. I learned a lot about cats and dogs. Would recommend.

By Sally N

Dec 22, 2019

Thank you for another extremely informative and interesting course! Sally, South Africa

By YIP Y J W

Aug 15, 2018

Wonderful, amazing and totally worth every minute of my time going through this course.

By Cris V

Nov 12, 2019

I loved it. A very complete and helpful course. Thanks, guys. You're amazing.

By hasan ö

Feb 18, 2020

basic main thing about cat and dog have told us and i m verry happy to learn

By JOHN Q

May 06, 2017

THOROUGHLY ENJOYED COURSE, LEARNING MANY THINGS I'D NEVER THOUGHT OF BEFORE.

By Nikki M

Nov 09, 2017

Excellent course for veterinary professionals and the general public ali

By Nisargaa T

Oct 17, 2017

This course is a very great course for all dog and cat lovers worldwide.

By Gabriela B

Jan 28, 2018

Really good course!! It was great to learn so many things. Thank you!!