Back to Computational Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Computational Neuroscience by University of Washington

This course provides an introduction to basic computational methods for understanding what nervous systems do and for determining how they function. We will explore the computational principles governing various aspects of vision, sensory-motor control, learning, and memory. Specific topics that will be covered include representation of information by spiking neurons, processing of information in neural networks, and algorithms for adaptation and learning. We will make use of Matlab/Octave/Python demonstrations and exercises to gain a deeper understanding of concepts and methods introduced in the course. The course is primarily aimed at third- or fourth-year undergraduates and beginning graduate students, as well as professionals and distance learners interested in learning how the brain processes information....

JR
Apr 7, 2018

Extremely enlightening course on how Neuron's work and the science of computational neuroscience. Even if you don't want to get into the complex mathematics you can get a lot out of the course

AG
Jun 10, 2020

Brilliant course. For a HS student the math was challenging, but the quizzes and assignments were perfect. The tutorials and supplementary materials are super helpful. All in all, I loved it.

126 - 150 of 196 Reviews for Computational Neuroscience

By Adam E

May 22, 2017

Comprehensive and challenging.

By Efraim

This is my talent and passion

By Hariharan L

Aug 24, 2019

I find it really interesting

By Fatma T

Jan 12, 2021

very informative, thank you

By Shawn C

Feb 5, 2021

Compact and Comprehensive.

By Yi-Yin H

Jun 29, 2019

It was an amazing journey!

By Wambui K

Nov 5, 2016

Good course!

By Jacob D

Oct 20, 2020

This topic combines a lot of what I find interesting so I am grateful this course exists. Before I started it, my hope was to walk away with more familiarity and a solid foundation for computational neuroscience. As far as I can tell, I was in fact able to gain a basic understanding. There were also a lot of really fascinating concepts throughout the course.

My only issue is that some ideas (probabilities and encoding for instance) gave me a lot of trouble and I felt like instructor couldn't explain these things in a way that I could understand. Sometimes they'd just toss a bunch of unnecessary big words and equations or invoke strange conventions that I'm not comfortable with, leaving me struggling behind. To be fair, there were many ideas for which the instructor also gave very helpful examples or made intuitive connections with other ideas. I wish I could elaborate better on the teaching quality, but this is only a review.

Overall, I was exposed to many new interesting concepts. I seriously hope that I might be able to work in a field similar to this one day.

By claudio g

May 22, 2018

I have really liked this course,but there is a lot of statistics I didn't expect to find at the beginning. Ihave given me exactly the flavor of what Computational Neuroscience is and what are the field of applications, which are REALLY interesting. Honestly I have found a bit too condensed the part regarding the description of "cause" and all the related statistic stuff which I think should deserve some 1 or 2 videos with solved problems. All summed up, I think this course is really worth of taking. Best regards to the professors and to the mentors and to those who have given me a lot of help with their posting on the forum. Their doubts and the relative answers have really been enlightening for driving me towards a better understanding of the matter. Thank you to all of you.

By Shreyas G

Jul 18, 2020

The course provides a really good insight into the field of computational neuroscience, touching every area possible. The experiments and real-life research work discussed throughout gives a good understanding and exposure to the field. Assignments equip the student well with the necessary skills and thought process in problem-solving while strengthening the concepts as well. However, I found the computational knowledge required for the course demanding. Though there was adequate help available, more could've been helpful, especially in python. It was a great learning experience.

By Aditya A

Mar 28, 2019

I liked the course. I enjoyed solving the problems and I am now confident in learning more advanced concepts and getting my hands dirty in neural networks and machine learning.

I only have one complaint like suggestion, if only the TAs or the instructors could show some examples of solutions or algorithms for the concepts, it would have been much easier. Although, i have understood the concepts, I have not yet grasped the implementations of the concepts in actual codes and programs. Please update the course regarding that. Thanks a lot again to Rajesh, Adrienne and Richard.

By Moustapha M A

May 26, 2018

The course over all was very good but I didnt given it five because of the following : in course 2-5 the lectures were not coherent and the there was no expalantion for how certain experiments or measurments were done and hence natural progression to associate the mathematics. The lecturer tends to speak fast and sometimes eat her words so there was absence of clarity . The lectures were not well structured . on the otherhand lectures 6-8 were much clearer in presenation and scope and more linked with the quizes.