Back to Computational Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Computational Neuroscience by University of Washington

This course provides an introduction to basic computational methods for understanding what nervous systems do and for determining how they function. We will explore the computational principles governing various aspects of vision, sensory-motor control, learning, and memory. Specific topics that will be covered include representation of information by spiking neurons, processing of information in neural networks, and algorithms for adaptation and learning. We will make use of Matlab/Octave/Python demonstrations and exercises to gain a deeper understanding of concepts and methods introduced in the course. The course is primarily aimed at third- or fourth-year undergraduates and beginning graduate students, as well as professionals and distance learners interested in learning how the brain processes information....

JR
Apr 7, 2018

Extremely enlightening course on how Neuron's work and the science of computational neuroscience. Even if you don't want to get into the complex mathematics you can get a lot out of the course

AG
Jun 10, 2020

Brilliant course. For a HS student the math was challenging, but the quizzes and assignments were perfect. The tutorials and supplementary materials are super helpful. All in all, I loved it.

176 - 196 of 196 Reviews for Computational Neuroscience

By Ricardo C

Oct 27, 2020

it delivers what it promisses: a first grasp of computational neurosciences, with a good overview of the fundamental concepts.

By Serena R

Aug 31, 2017

I found this course helpful and inspiring for my research activity. I suggest it to anyone who has basic mathematical skills.

By Erik B

Aug 25, 2019

Overall I enjoyed this class, but towards the end it gets more into machine learning and away from the neuroscience.

By Vanya E

Jul 9, 2017

Great overview of a really cool field, gives nice intuitions for ideas in computational neuroscience.

By Avinash

Aug 23, 2020

Very interesting course, gained many skills of modelling that i am going to utilise in my research

By Jeff C

Nov 14, 2016

In general very good, but some concepts are rushed over due to the short length of the course.

By Gabriel G

Dec 19, 2019

Très bon cours je recommande pour tous les gens intéressé par les neurosciences théoriques

By 徐锦辉

Sep 1, 2019

A better tittle for this course is 'From neuroscience to artificial intelligence'.

By Cezary W

Sep 27, 2017

Quite interesting. I would see more explanation of some phenomena, though.

By Renaldas Z

Jun 30, 2017

Great course, if a little bit outdated today.

By Huzi C

Feb 14, 2017

Great course and really helpful for me.

By Abhilash C

Jun 18, 2020

I like professor Rao's commentary.

By ­배용희(대학원/일반대학원 물

Feb 29, 2020

Best for the beginner.

By Christopher M

Jun 3, 2017

[3.5 stars] The course provides an overview of some interesting topics. I would have prefer more emphasis on applications, perhaps in the form of additional exercises. Overall, I have my adventure hat on and I am excited to push on further into the neuro-jungle.

By Renjith B

Feb 20, 2018

I just started the course. But it is exciting for me as a Machine learning and deep learning practitioner!!!

After week 1, the learning curve is steep. The topics are exciting but lectures are not engaging.

By Sami J

Jan 27, 2020

Very interesting, buy also pretty superficial. Surprisingly low amount of hands-on computation considering that it's a class in computational neuroscience.

By M K

Sep 10, 2020

The course is hard in terms of a student at UG level. The teachers are super fun and amazing they teach really well though. But the course is hard.

By Shengjie Z

Jan 22, 2021

some lecture is too difficult and very hard to understand the math basics.

By Franz L

Jan 17, 2021

I think the course has many improvement opportunities:

-Some lectures just jump from too simple to too complicated skipping important concepts. They could take more time to explain topics some of us are not experts at (as circuits analysis).

-There are no mentors who answer questions in the forums, and there are some very common doubts. Apparently, there are even some mistakes in the tests, where non of the answers is correct.

-There are no explanations about the correct answers in the tests. There are many questions I still don’t understand why the correct answer is X or Y.

-Some questions in the tests have much higher level than the one of the lectures.

-For my taste, Prof. Fairhall goes too fast in lectures. She could separate them into shorter videos, where she widely explains more focused topics.

On the other hand, it is a very interesting course. I really enjoyed explanations by Rich Pang in the supplementary video tutorials, as well as the lectures of Prof. Rao.

By Mathew T K

Jun 4, 2020

The course started out quite well, but increasingly became very difficult to follow. Instruction during the second week through the fifth week was particularly difficult for me to understand. Only the additional lectures by Rich made sense, but didn't go deep enough to help me understand the course material.

By Tanvi P

Jul 14, 2020

The course is good but requires excellent math and programming skills. Students who don't like math might face some difficulties.