Back to Computational Neuroscience

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Computational Neuroscience by University of Washington

This course provides an introduction to basic computational methods for understanding what nervous systems do and for determining how they function. We will explore the computational principles governing various aspects of vision, sensory-motor control, learning, and memory. Specific topics that will be covered include representation of information by spiking neurons, processing of information in neural networks, and algorithms for adaptation and learning. We will make use of Matlab/Octave/Python demonstrations and exercises to gain a deeper understanding of concepts and methods introduced in the course. The course is primarily aimed at third- or fourth-year undergraduates and beginning graduate students, as well as professionals and distance learners interested in learning how the brain processes information....

JB

May 25, 2019

I really enjoyed this course and think that there was a good variety of material that allowed people of many different backgrounds to take at least one thing away from this.

CM

Jun 15, 2017

This course is an excellent introduction to the field of computational neuroscience, with engaging lectures and interesting assignments that make learning the material easy.

1 - 25 of 122 Reviews for Computational Neuroscience

By Rob C

Mar 03, 2019

Great course! Really enjoyed the variety of topics and the just enough computational work in the quiz's. And that Eigen hat had me smiling and laughing about it for a week.

By 王桢

Feb 08, 2018

This course is a good start for learning computational neuroscience. I have learned how a single neuron processing signal and how to modeling this interesting process through mathematical and computational methods. I also learned the idea and models of the adaption of synapsis and coding of a group of neurons, which form the basis of memory and learning. The course also gave a brief intro to reinforcement learning, unsupervised learning and supervised learning and I can't wait to explore the fascinating world of deep learning.

However, I think the course focusing a lot on the modeling of a single neuron rather than the modeling of a group of neurons. I think expanding the content and depth on neuron network would help the students have a better understanding on the memory or learning process. Also, the lectures in this course are very wide, whereas the quizes, although really help on understanding the lectures, are just related to some parts of the lectures. I think it would be better if the lectures closer relate to the quizes or give us a hint on where to look in the textbook in order to have a better understanding of the lectures.

Really appreciate all your efforts! learning how our brain works and the origin of our consciousness which I think is the ultimate topics of human being has always been my dream. I'm glad that this course enabled me to move closer to my dream

By Amit T

May 27, 2018

This is a wonderful start for a biologist , to get idea of concepts of learning . An advanced course focused more on brain circuitry is suggested.

Thanks a lot

By DANIEL V

Feb 05, 2017

I very much enjoyed the course overall. Lectures from week 2 to week 5 were a little bit tedious in my opinion, not because of the content, but due to the way the lecture was presented. I suggest that by the end of the course, one could see the correct answers (with explanation) of the quizzes, since that would help learning. I enjoyed the course and I learned a lot. I thank the coursera staff and the UW faculty who made this possible.

By George P

Jan 13, 2018

Its a summation of summation of Conputational Neuroscience. Each week of this course could be a whole different course that really delves into the subject and not just presenting it. Video lessons were spamming you super compressed information. Some videos were sloppy and not helpful at all.

In addition, there are no helpful videos with examples-exercises that could really reinforce your learning. From the instructors I could only understand Rajesh Rao. Supplementary Video Tutorials by Rich Pang were awesomely simplistic and understandable but not enough for this course... All we need is more detailed and well explained examples...

In sort, after successfuly completing the course, I can say that I havent really learned anything. Just a glimpse of what neuroscience is all about... I ve seen better courses. I believe this course should be renamed to "An Introduction to Computational Neuroscience"

By Roberto E

Jul 27, 2017

It goes from too simple to very complex in few seconds.

By Zeqian L

Nov 17, 2017

This course felt really sketchy. Lectures were going way too fast and kept skipping concepts and derivations. Not bad if one only wants a superficial grasp of these concepts, but definitely not worth the price.

By Wei X

Dec 12, 2018

Enlightening! After this course, one know how the architecture came from.

By ANGELOS A

Dec 14, 2018

Very interesting course,

exciting subject!!!

Very chalenging in math, tutors have deep knowledge of the topics.

Congratulations!!!

By Paridhi K

Dec 01, 2018

Quite nice if you follow the recommended textbook - Peter Dayan - with it. The lectures touch important point.

By Mingchen Y

Mar 03, 2019

This course is very helpful! I especially enjoy doing the exercise which is well designed and facilitates my understanding of CN. Besides, I find the textbook Theoretical Neuroscience by Dayan and Abbott more understandable after I finished this coursera course.

By Al-Rashid J

Apr 07, 2019

This course was enjoyable, to say the least. It helped explained the thinking behind the conceptualization of existing algorithms that I've been introduced to in other courses for AI, but it further explained how they were mathematically derived.

By Hernan

Apr 09, 2019

Muy instructivo y entretenido! Felicitaciones a los autores del mismo.

By Vikrant J

Mar 16, 2019

Computational Neuroscience is a well structured, insightful and methodical course. There were so many moments when I was dumbstruck by the power which our brain has, that I've lost the count of them! As a biophysics, signal processing enthusiast, I'm considering to go for higher studies in the field of Neuroscience and this course has just made my decision unequivocal. Big kudos to the instructors Prof. Rao and Prof. Fairhall for their inputs for both, the content of the course and sharing their research material! I can't wait to explore the brain to its fullest! :D

By Changjia C

Jan 05, 2019

Fantastic course! I enjoy it and love it very much. Thanks Rajesh and Adrienne!

By Fridah G W K

Dec 23, 2018

Great learning experience

By sbansal6

Dec 07, 2018

Very clear explanations by professors. I really liked the design of the class and the lectures are very easy to understand if you are just starting in Neuroscience (they don't throw around complicated jargon)

By Руслан К

Feb 26, 2019

Интересный курс для введения в вычислитетльную нейробиологию)

By saurabh k p

Oct 20, 2018

Amazing Course with difficult challenges , hats off to professors :)

By 潘宜城

Oct 24, 2018

nice course which teach me about what neurons can do and how can we model them with mathmatics

By Krishnakanth A

Nov 04, 2018

Very interesting and well organised course.

By faisal k

Aug 03, 2018

very effective course for Researchers

By Matheus B M

Apr 07, 2017

GIves a very good introduction to the field. It was quite hard on the maths some times.

By Adam L

Jan 15, 2017

Lectures are concise; quizzes are helpful. Great introduction to computational neuroscience!

By Mtakuja L