Back to The Strategy of Content Marketing

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Strategy of Content Marketing by University of California, Davis

This course is a partnership between the leading content marketing authority, Copyblogger, and UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education. In this course, you will learn the core strategies content marketers use to acquire and retain customers profitably. Specifically, you will learn how to develop, organize and implement a content marketing strategy, analyze and measure the effectiveness of content marketing, write compelling copy, use a strategic framework when writing, and build your professional brand and authority through content marketing. You will also learn how to put the ideas presented to you into action and build your own personal brand through content marketing....

JC

For those who want to start your content marketing journey, you may want to take this course. It focuses on touch base points but also goes into further details on what you need as a content marketer.

ID
Dec 13, 2020

I'd like to recommend this course as it was instrumental in providing for me the necessary push to shift industries. The course content was well thought-of, clear, easy to absorb and very interesting.

51 - 75 of 1,030 Reviews for The Strategy of Content Marketing

By Dewa A D D S

Mar 3, 2021

This was a very insightful fundamental course in enhancing copywriting skills. The course was very generous in giving materials and it certainly equipped with a lot of knowledge in learning content strategy.

However, I find the peer-review assignment that are supposedly workshop-based to be quite challenging particularly in understanding the content mapping strategy. Still, after understanding it in more detail, I learnt its importance and it is definitely a practice I will implement in future projects.

By Shantanu S M

Honestly, I received the course for free so I can give my non biased opinion. If you're a newbie it's okay as an introductory course. However, it won't give you the "How to" instructions. It will tell you what you need to do and give a passing reference to others. You will have to do a lot of research and reading on your own. Again, you can do that on Google or their website. It's your decision if you want to pay for it.

By Yvonne N

May 8, 2020

This course was average. The first 2 weeks were great. Somewhere along the course, it was almost all podcasts. Not a very effective tool if we had all signed up for video tutorials. There were also a lot of readings that were averaging 40+ pages. Could be better.

By PKeremidchieva

Oct 19, 2020

It is suitable only for beginners.

Please update your materials - they are really getting old. Remove Google+ from your examples.

By Tan Y N

I started this course wanting to learn about content marketing from instructors who were experts in the field, and seemed keen and ready to share their tips.

However, this course left me sorely disappointed. There's no doubt that a lot of insightful course content is provided, but most of this content are not in the actual course videos, but rather in downloadable "podcasts" attached to each lesson in MP3 format.

The podcasts contain valuable information and tips on content marketing, but come with absolutely no visual aids, subtitles or any of the great features Coursera has equipped its platform with (scrolling subtitles, note-taking function, etc). This means that learning for those who have trouble understanding the audio, or visualising certain concepts is greatly hindered.

It also means that one should be prepared to spend a great deal of extra time on top of what's reflected in the course requirements to listen to lengthy mp3 tracks without any guides.

There also seems to be a certain slant towards various service providers in the course - for instance, WordPress is recommended as the top go-to site for creating one's personal website. This promotion of specific 3rd party brands is something I am not entirely comfortable with and I would have greatly appreciated if the instructors could have weighed the pros and cons of these services against their competitors so users can make an informed choice.

Overall, I am happy with the amount and quality of the course content, but a whole lot more could have been done to make taking in, and learning this content a less painful experience.

By Sean C

Dec 27, 2020

I'd give it zero stars if I could. This course is poorly set up with mostly separate "podcasts" as the lecture (no transcriptions by the way) which, honestly, feels like a repurposing of Copyblogger company material. It feels like they simply tried to make some more money off of material they already had. The peer-reviewed course assignments in weeks 3 and 4 are extraordinarily vague in their presentation, yet constitute so much of the graded portion that it is essentially the entire outcome of passing or failing this course. They continue to say, "Now we're going to discuss how to put your empathy map together," and then they go off on a tangent and never do it then present a 5 page PDF that has almost nothing to do with everything they just said, not to mention they give you no rubric for how these assignments are graded to begin with. Also, throughout the course they mention names and allude to people they must know in the copy world in the course as if we are supposed to know them- like they're household names. And finally, the course provides no academic or fact-based source material to provide any sort of "Strategy" to "Market" your "Content." This was 5 weeks of listening to Copyblogger's opinion on how they run their company. An unbelievable waste of time and money.

By Corina

Aug 14, 2020

If you like to experience what Strategic Content Marketing is about, this is how it should not be. Hopelessly frustrating... lots of chitchat without focus... lots of lnikbuilding for the publisher of the course copy blogger. Yes, content marketing is about building relationships & try to hold the attention. And link building is an important part but let's be honest and fair, this is no academic course... this is painfully mistaken advertising for copyblogger for hours... To be honest, it is the first course I have not completed although I started with the objective to complete it. Too painful that my attention is taken for a ride in this ongoing commercial, at week 4 (only 1,5 weeks to go) I could no longer bear the lack of direction. I quit.

By David T

Sep 6, 2020

I hate gradating system, we review for people and just sit there hope less that someone will review your assignment back, not just that. The information about this program was out of date, there a lots of change in business industry and not all information about this course was useful. A lots people when they do discuss the just put N/A and you get lot of spam when you need someone review your assuagement, you review them and they never review you back. And if you want to pass this class you need to pass assignment.

By Colleen O

Jun 17, 2021

Leans ENTIRELY TOO HEAVILY on Podcasts. There is nothing to hold interest. I can't just sit and listen to 2 people talking ad nauseum...my brain doesn't work that way! You are setting people, especially neurodivergent people, up for FAILURE! This is a really long commercial for the podcast, not an actually educational course! I will be demanding a refund!

By Alireza B

Aug 28, 2020

The course was too easy and it was just common sense. You could have passed the quizzes without listening to the speaker or reading any of the course materials. The talks with the invited experts was also common sense. No real skills taught.

By David V D

Sep 2, 2020

This was a really poorly run course, with very little teaching content or outline for what was needed from the assignments. The course would not be relevant for someone already working within content creation as it is extremely high-level.

By E-zan

Sep 8, 2019

The lectures were not as informative as expected. I had high hopes for this course. :(

By Sunny

Jul 23, 2020

how did it help to develop your action items to develop your content marketing strategy?

It really helps me to come up with creative headlines to grab attention of the audience. Before I had troubles grab users' attention and wondered why is my content not being viewed by many people? So, I started with the customer persona and I have realized, I didn't have a clear audience. And that really surprised me. When I had a clear goal of whom to deliver my message, it was a game-changer.

My blog views have increased by 8.4% after using the strategy of content marketing. In the era of the internet, this course has provided me tons of valuable information that is practical. I'm surprised that the internet course can bring such fruitful lessons if one has a strong dedication.

What ideas did you gain from the course and will implement it?

"Empathy map" and "Experience map" is a key thing that I have learned in this lecture. And more importantly, applying in a real-life situation boosted my competitive advantages. Realizing how to write meaningful and fascinating stories is a mind-blowing experience.

What are you already doing well? Where do you need to strengthen?

I love the fact that people all around the world give constructive feedback on my project. People love my contents and stories behind them and find them really interesting. It is a great feeling when I can be like an artist and deliver the beauty of content to the audience.

However, I have missed delivering a clear "call to action". I have learned that persuading people to take action is key to the revenue stream. And it will be my ongoing mission to strengthen this point.

plus the course helped me in understanding the numbers behind my audience's behavior with the use of data and metrics from my Google Analytics account. My learning objects were exceeded with this Strategy of Content Marketing course.

By Maria C H

Aug 7, 2020

I'm quite impressed about each and every single piece of knowledge and advice that Sonia Simone and Brian Clark have given me. Not only the knowledge itself, but the way they share it in such a nice, close, warm, clear and practical manner.

I'm actually thinking, at the end of my 40 year career as a marketer, researcher, advertiser and innovator for mass market products, to become a writer and creative for content marketing. Hearing it from them sounds so interesting!!!

This course was, simply said, GREAT!!!

The resources and all the content is everything one needs to understand the subject of Content Marketing, wether you are responsible for that, or you are the client. In any case, you have what is needed to have a good sense of what is needed.

As per Sonia and Brian, they are excellent communicators of their knowledge. And, most of it, they are so GENEROUS when sharing it. Im very grateful to them. They are truthful and they are also very ethical.

I wish I could hire them for any Content Marketing I had to develop and being a part of my team.

THANK YOU!!!

By Jia Y G

This course has been a good introduction to content developing and marketing it. It also provides tips on how to work with industry professionals, consumers and how to draft expectations that the three-way party can be agreeable with. It also considers the ethical and professional responsibilities as a content developer, which I believe imperative in today's digital age as content can be easily published online. To benefit deeply from the course, one should peruse not only the videos but the practice books provided, and apply them in your real lives. Overall a course that is easy to follow, if you are looking to get an overview of content marketing, this would be it.

By Tatiana C

Jun 13, 2020

I'm really happy to have made the decision, during this COVID quarantine, to start to invest in my knowledge. I lost my job and during the quarantine and despite the difficulties, it forced me to open new doors. And I am studying hard in an attempt to start something new, either as a freelancer or opening my own digital marketing agency and I know that now with all the knowledge I acquired in this course, which was very comprehensive and also knowledge from other courses I have taken in another areas of digital marketing and SEO, I feel very confident. I don't even remember that we are in the middle of a crisis. I only see opportunities on the way.

By Sourabh D

Jun 10, 2021

Taking up this course is the best decision I made. The course has really helped me learning, understanding and also applying the strategies of content marketing. The tutors Sonia, Brian and Stefanie were very good at imparting their knowledge and experience with respect to approaching, tackling and building our own business with the magic of content marketing.

Overall the course has shaped me into a bit of content marketer myself and developing a thought process of a content strategy. The reading material are also very useful. I will certainly buy the certificate, since it's worth that much money! Thank you UC Davis and Copyblogger!!

By Maria C R M

Oct 26, 2020

It is a fantastic course and I am really happy about what I learned !

However, an improvement point could be to have a more accurate time frames throughout the course. This, because the modules just tell you about the real time videos will take, as well as the readings and the assignments; but the podcast which are many and not short are time consuming as well and this is definitely not calculated.

Knowing the actual time that needs to be invested in the course help the students to really plan their time better, manage to submit the assignments within the deadlines and project themselves to a realistic completion date for the course.

By Louise R L

I've learned a lot from this course. I see content marketing in a different light now, and I see how and why my past professional deliverables have worked and all the places I can improve. Relationships are key - relationships with your audience, your stakeholders, your peers and all the curious minds around you. There's a science behind content marketing that is reflected in all of our different behaviors. It's been exciting to uncover some of it during this course.

I have achieved more than expected with this course, learned so many new things and even built new connections from around the world. It's been a great experience!

By Brent T

Jan 20, 2018

this course was phenomenal. if you're looking for a framework to begin or even refine your career as a content marketer, strategist or writer, this course is a great way to do that. it's very much self-directed in that you'll get out of it what you put into it. if you go into the course with an objective in mind (or an audience, it will prove even more useful). finally, the podcasts are great -- unconventional for a course -- but it lets you "study" on the go. pro-tip: the bulk of the depth of knowledge is in the ebooks. jam-packed with wisdom AND great examples of exceptional writing. A+ work on this course, guys.

By Carlos E M R

Jan 28, 2021

In my humble opinion I highly recommend taking this course even if you are not going to work as a marketer or analyst. This will give you a general and specific idea of what digital marketing, strategy of content and more backgrounds, Developing a personal brand, taking in consideration the copyright lae and other themes that will give you tools to perfom better in your work and in your life. I feel very thankful to mrs Sonia and to the entire team of coursera for this opportunity. I took this course as a help for people affected by the covid-19 and took advantage of this opportunity. Greetings to everyone.

By Aaron D

Jan 3, 2021

This was my first Coursera course, and I was very impressed with the practical information and resources (so many ebooks!) that accompany the lecture videos and podcasts.

There is also a "meta" level to "The Strategy of Content Marketing" because the act of teaching this course allows the professional content marketers to build their own "authority" as they're teaching you about building *your* authority through guest blogging and webinars. You can literally see the techniques being put into practice throughout the course (although the generic stock photos throughout the lectures are a bit weak).

By soso m

Dec 25, 2020

This is the best marketing course I have ever done. Although a challenge, the material compels one to forge ahead. The concept of empathy was a first for me and my customers, and I will benefit from my new found approach to customer service.

Thank you.

I am proud of my learning journey on "The Strategy of Content Marketing". It has given me a head-start on my blogging journey.

In conclusion, the course tutor is phenomenal. I always looked forward to her calming voice and her unique skill and craft in presenting a rather complicated topic. She makes it sound so easy. Thank you, Sonia Simone!

By Vishal O

Dec 23, 2017

This is a comprehensive course arranged in a structured manner using the content available on the Copyblogger website.

Sonia is a great presenter - which means that her experience speaks, and she doesn't let this look fluffy or boring at all.

It seems like the team has extracted all the essential information necessary to create content strategies and then put them together.

It has definitely been worth the time.

It's more than watching videos or reading PDFs - it introduces you to new perspectives and actually teaches you something that matters.

By Nathalie P

Sep 25, 2021

Before anything else, I have to say thank you to Sonia. Wishing her continued health and strength to keep up the good fight. This course was exactly that "something" that I needed.

These five weeks have been eye opening for me; while I was previously aware of some of the course content, I did learn new aspects of those same elements along with some new stuff.

The course is very comprehensive, with lots of supporting resources. I didn't start it with any expectations, and as I write can't think of anything which may have been overlooked.